Sponsored by:

Air suspension follow up

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 02:46 PM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air suspension follow up

Well, I have another one off problem I am chasing.

I replaced the air suspension on the front of the car last week. Now, I can raise and lower the car for a little bit, but eventually I get "Chassis System Faulty" and it freezes where it is. Sometimes way up high, sometimes REALLY low. The durametric throws the error 1780 vehicle level sensor mechanical fault.

I have been doing a lot of research though and I see I need to recalibrate it? I have a durametric, but I am a little fuzzy on how exactly I would do that. If not, do I need to replace those sensors?

Could someone please point me in the correct direction? I sure could use a bit of help here.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:54 PM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

I spent a bit more time with this.

The suspension values were all much lower than what I thought they would be.

Fronts 170
rears 217

When I tried to reset them to stock (190/237) it stopped completely. At this point I kind of think it might be the sensors? It seems logical to me seeing as how I just fixed the suspension. I am really at a loss here though. I am not sure what I should look at next?
Old 04-18-2020, 05:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

I think (Can't guarantee) that the help you need might be found with a subscription to the AllDataDIY on-line manual for your car. I know there is an alignment outline there, but not sure how detailed it is though..

BTW - I know on the 958 system - the airbags must be prefilled before installation or before the wheels are supporting the weight of the vehicle.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:01 PM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

I used rebuilt air shocks from Miessler.

The weird part is that the car will move randomly. Sometimes the front is SUPER high. Sometimes it is is SUPER low. but it will change heights. some times.

It is either the sensors themselves or else it needs to be calibrated. I am thinking I might just put it up on jack stands again and check the sensors. They can be accessed without pulling the air struts thank god. I think.....

Old 04-18-2020, 09:02 PM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

What do you think? This is damaged? Do I have to pull the strut to fix the sensor? Or can it be fixed in place? FWIW the other one looks much less bound.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:06 PM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

Here is the drivers side for comparison.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

That passenger side sensor looks like it got physically stuck when it was trying to move. See how the casing is cracked and the attachment point where the little bolt goes though isn't straight. I think you found your problem.

Here are instructions on lowering a Cayenne with Durametric which should also let you calibrate it.

Attached Images
Old 04-19-2020, 10:14 AM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

Thanks - I think so too. Clearly there is restriction on the movement on that sensor.

I found the porsche part here:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/95534107621/

Kind of pricey at $341..... I read the VW part would work - anyone know the part number?

The casing cracked when I replaced the struts. Both sides are like that - sort of disintegrating. It is just old and dried out plastic. I want to fix that if I can - anyone know if we can just buy the casing? I think it is part number 700971920? I have a picture of the part number below:

Old 04-19-2020, 10:34 AM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

Is this the VW part?

https://www.vwpartswarehouse.com/p/V...7L0616214.html
Old 04-19-2020, 02:41 PM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

OK. All fixed. A few points for anyone searching and working on the suspension.

1. The suspension went from sitting on the stops to working just fine once I got everything in correctly. There was no calibration or what not.
2. The plastic on the connectors is CRAP. They crack left right and center. I know, the car is old and the plastic is brittle but MAN.
3. The single most important thing that i picked up from this is that the bracket holding the level sensor to the air shock must be pointed straight up. That is what I did wrong - it was not in the position it needed to be for me to have it work. Check the photo below:

Old 01-24-2023, 04:02 PM
j shadow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=tpwierimaa;16560640]OK. All fixed. A few points for anyone searching and working on the suspension.

1. The suspension went from sitting on the stops to working just fine once I got everything in correctly. There was no calibration or what not.
2. The plastic on the connectors is CRAP. They crack left right and center. I know, the car is old and the plastic is brittle but MAN.
3. The single most important thing that i picked up from this is that the bracket holding the level sensor to the air shock must be pointed straight up. That is what I did wrong - it was not in the position it needed to be for me to have it work. Check the photo below:

Did you take off the shock to adjust it back or just used 2 16 mm wrenches? gonna adjust this sensor tommorow morning on my p!g haha
Old 01-24-2023, 04:15 PM
tpwierimaa
Instructor

[QUOTE=j shadow;18590992]
Originally Posted by tpwierimaa
OK. All fixed. A few points for anyone searching and working on the suspension.

Did you take off the shock to adjust it back or just used 2 16 mm wrenches? gonna adjust this sensor tommorow morning on my p!g haha
I just did the adjustment. No need to pull the shock.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:54 PM
j shadow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=tpwierimaa;18591029]
Originally Posted by j shadow

I just did the adjustment. No need to pull the shock.
alright thanks for the reply brotha!

Quick Reply: Air suspension follow up