Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 07:57 PM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Great write up @jslo thanks

Attempted this today on my 2010 MY11 PCM3.1 opened it up and I found an ATA100/IDE hard drive inside! So no easy upgrade path to an SSD for me, didn't even have a laptop IDE enclosure thats 47 pin either so had to put it all back together until I get an enclosure to read the disk. Then I have the fun time of either trying to find an IDE SSD or somehow upgrade the cables to SATA...
Can you post the picture of your dismantling. i would like to have an heads up before i open up mine. mine is a 2014 cayenne S. but doesnt seems to have juke box or Nav! strange . considering it has Bose.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:34 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

I managed to perform this HDD to SSD upgrade on my Macan PCM 3.1. In my case, the HDD was fine, but did it to have backup (insurance).

Documented the detailed DIY process using a bunch of photos here:

DIY (DIAYOR) PCM 3.1 Drive HDD to SSD replacement and backup

The cloning process was able to preserve everything, including Jukebox content. It was basically a plug and play with no issues.

After the upgrade, I also updated the PCM from version 4.73 to 4.76.

Last edited by Santirx; 08-15-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:59 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Santirx
I managed to perform this HDD to SSD upgrade on my Macan PCM 3.1. In my case, the HDD was fine, but did it to have backup (insurance).

The cloning process was able to preserve everything, including Jukebox content. It was basically a plug and play with no issues.

Your experience mimics mine. I upgraded my working 100gb Toshiba HDD to a 120gb SSD a few weeks ago. The HDD was already at v4.76. The cloning process went smoothly and the PCM works fine with all the data I used to have (phone numbers, stored NAV addresses, jukebox FLAC files, etc.). I of course saved the HDD should the SSD fail for some reason. I have noticed no speed improvements. I was hoping NAV routing would go more quickly, but I’m not seeing that. I do hope to see a speed improvement when I add files to my jukebox from a thumb drive. That process is painfully slow. But I haven’t tried adding any files yet.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:00 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Santirx

Your experience mimics mine. I upgraded my working 100gb Toshiba HDD to a 120gb SSD a few weeks ago. The HDD was already at v4.76. The cloning process went smoothly and the PCM works fine with all the data I used to have (phone numbers, stored NAV addresses, jukebox files, etc.). I of course saved the HDD should the SSD fail for some reason. I have noticed no speed improvements. I was hoping NAV routing would go more quickly, but I’m not seeing that. I do hope to see a speed improvement when I add files to my jukebox from a thumb drive. That process is painfully slow. But I haven’t tried adding any files yet.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:30 PM
Garmo29
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Here is my 981 GTS PCM story.

A couple weeks ago drove the car with no issue. Next day I drove again and my PCM would begin the reboot sequence every 10 seconds, so I was not fortunate enough to get the PCM to boot up at all.

Read this and other threads and so I purchased a new SSD ($28) and a cloning station ($33) from Amazon. I was also able to get the nav maps for my car from a friend who also was able to send met the update files online.

I initially cloned the drive and from what I could tell that appeared successful. Plugged new SSD in and no different result. I am now not sure the cloning happened at all as I was unable to view files on the SSD at all. I have now formatted the SSD to be sure I am starting fresh. I can't view the files on the old HDD at all, so maybe it is all corrupt and unusable. Shouldn't I be able to at least view the file structure? So if the old drive is bad, I suppose I need another drive with the files already on it right? Or can I just run the update disk on the SSD?

Anyone willing to loan me a drive to clone or I can pay someone for a new one and for the cloning?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:25 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Garmo29
Hey guys. Here is my 981 GTS PCM story.

A couple weeks ago drove the car with no issue. Next day I drove again and my PCM would begin the reboot sequence every 10 seconds, so I was not fortunate enough to get the PCM to boot up at all.

Read this and other threads and so I purchased a new SSD ($28) and a cloning station ($33) from Amazon. I was also able to get the nav maps for my car from a friend who also was able to send met the update files online.

I initially cloned the drive and from what I could tell that appeared successful. Plugged new SSD in and no different result. I am now not sure the cloning happened at all as I was unable to view files on the SSD at all. I have now formatted the SSD to be sure I am starting fresh. I can't view the files on the old HDD at all, so maybe it is all corrupt and unusable. Shouldn't I be able to at least view the file structure? So if the old drive is bad, I suppose I need another drive with the files already on it right? Or can I just run the update disk on the SSD?

Anyone willing to loan me a drive to clone or I can pay someone for a new one and for the cloning?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
This is a cut and paste from a previous request:

I'm no expert on this problem, but after reading every thread that I could find on fixing the reboot problem, I see two potential issues with your request. One is associated with the current software on your PCM. If you don't have the latest (4.76) already on the system, then as others have commented on previous threads the new drive will not work or at least work fully. If your system does have the 4.76 software and you install a good clone from another car, others have reported that certain functions will not operate. Speculation is that licensed features like navigation, power steering plus, voice command, etc. are tied to the VIN and won't be allowed to start up due to the mismatch.

I had the problem in my 14 CS and the reset worked for a while. I had to perform the reset once more and then took my car in for service. The dealership performed the software update to v4.76 and it took them several hours. Apparently it took multiple tries doing the update for it to complete successfully. Then I saw the thread on PCM hard drive failure and decided that I would clone the drive while it was still working and replace the HDD with an SSD as described in the thread. The fix for this becomes much more complex when the reboot problem is occurring although others have solved it. After all this time it still seems to be unclear if the reboot is a result of the XM software upgrade that did not play nice with the PCM and corrupted some files or if this is just coincidental with a failing HDD.

Read these two threads for more information on the PCM reboot problem.
Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

2014 Cayman 981 with PCM3.1 V4.73 reboots every minute - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

A poster described his PCM fix. He sent his unit to Becker Auto Sound in New Jersey for repair and apparently was successful and much cheaper than the dealers suggested $3500 replacement. Other posts seem to indicate that a working junk yard unit won't work due to the VIN mismatch. I know that none of this is encouraging but to the best of my knowledge, your plan to use a working clone from another vehicle won't do what you want - a fully operational PCM.

I think if I were in your position, I would ask your dealership for a software upgrade like I did (providing that you are on 4.73 or earlier). If the upgrade or even reinstall of 4.76 works, then I would immediately do the clone operation using your drive.
The problem becomes exponentially more complex once your drive is corrupted. For all who still have functioning hdd's clone now to avoid major problems when the mechanical hdd fails as it will eventually do.
Steve
Old 09-20-2021, 04:21 PM
BW369
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by burnergt4
Any tips for Mac OS users? I figured since Clonezilla was a GNU/Linux distro that I'd be able to make a bootable USB and just restart via EFI into Clonezilla to mirror over my PCM drive, but it doesn't want to see the USB upon boot, and after looking into it more, it seems that Mac OS doesn't seem to like Clonezilla USB drives overall.

I have access to a Windows laptop, but wanted to see if there was a way to just do this within, say, Terminal or something before moving on to that.

Edit: this is also the nerdiest thread I've seen here so far that exists at the intersection of automotive repair + tech troubleshooting. This is hitting all my geek receptors, I love it.

Edit 2: running dd in the command line right now and it seems to be doing the trick. Fingers crossed.
Hello, I'm planning to attempt this as well. I have the late 2020 Macbook Pro and have no access to a Windows system. Are you able to share any tips on how to get done with a Mac. Thanks so much
Old 09-20-2021, 05:48 PM
Garmo29
7th Gear

Thanks for the response. I'll report back after a little investigation.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:11 PM
Wrecked Em
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone else's PCM show a serial number listed here?

I just purchased a 2011 Cayenne Turbo. Everything except for the Nav seems to work.
BT phone and audio: works great
Satellite radio: works great despite me not actually having a subscription. Maybe a forgotten lifetime plan?
Jukebox: disabled? (have never run across it in any menu at least)

I'm wondering if some else has previously rebuilt this drive, because I imagine a well optioned car like this would have had Nav at some point.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:37 PM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2010 Targa4S (so PCM 3.0 I believe) and want to clone my drive onto an Ssd. I’m a Mac guy so I wondering if someone could do the clone for me. I did PM Jslo but didn’t get a response. My system works well but recently started getting reboots from time to time. I will try the reset the PCM as shown previously in this thread to see if that helps but I still want to swap in an ssd before my HD fails. Thanks .

Last edited by Vape NYC; 10-08-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:04 PM
nhn1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jslo
I've now done a few of these upgrades and recoveries with success. If the hard drive is still functional, I've found I can clone the good data to a new drive, install it back in the unit, and run the PCM update to restore any missing or corrupted files. If the drive can't be read at all, it can be replaced with another cloned drive, and the update disc should help initialize the new drive to the car, but not all functions may work without taking it to Porsche to re-enable features like navigation even if the originating drive has the same options.

I have SSDs available if anyone needs a clone, pre-cloned SSDs, and update discs available.
Hello, My PCM is on the fritz. I need a precloned SSD and update disc. Can you please let me know if you are still doing this service? Thank you.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:05 PM
Wellwood
Rennlist Member

Default Spare SSD from a working PCM3.1

Originally Posted by nhn1
Hello, My PCM is on the fritz. I need a precloned SSD and update disc. Can you please let me know if you are still doing this service? Thank you.
I created 2 spare SSD copies of my drive and I am using one of the SSD in my PCM. Works great.

if you want to buy the second copy and try it, let me know. 120GB
Old 11-16-2021, 02:08 PM
scq1973
2nd Gear

Hi
I have upgraded the HDD to SSD and everything works perfect …….except the service interval light will not reset
taken to Porsche and they reset but comes straight back up again !!
does it need coding to the car or is there something else wrong ? Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2021, 05:44 PM
nhn1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Wellwood
I created 2 spare SSD copies of my drive and I am using one of the SSD in my PCM. Works great.

if you want to buy the second copy and try it, let me know. 120GB
Hello Wellwood,
could you pm me with contact info. I am not able to pm because I am new to forum. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:07 PM
Row_ca
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question for some of the experts on here, was able to swap out my hard-drive some time back and get CarPlay installed while I had it out.

Wondering, what’s the best way to get the original maps reinstalled? I had to do a full wipe in order for the HD to work again, so wondering if there is a disc or something I can purchase - or if my only option is to go through the dealer.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD