Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 01:53 PM
i29gtaylor
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jslo. I have a 2014 Panamera E-Hybrid and began experiencing the PCM reboot problem. Went through all of the troubleshooting steps and nothing has worked so far. Stumbled upon your ssd solution and would like to give it a shot. Problem is I don't think my current HDD can be cloned since it's clearly messed up. Can I buy a pre-cloned ssd and reinstallation disc from you? I tried to send you a message but wouldn't go through. Thanks, Greg
Old 01-07-2021, 06:46 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

just saw this today. i'll definitely be upgrading my currently working pcm hd and cloning it to an ssd. seems like cheap insurance.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:18 PM
prairiedawgshoot
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi jslo...just sent you a pm...my 15's PCM just started the reboot thing and I almost swallowed my tongue when the stealership quoted me the replacement costs...I'm not very tech savvy, but I am willing to learn...looking forward to hearing from you

thanks!
Old 01-18-2021, 08:14 PM
Scott Grant
3rd Gear

Hello all. I have a 2011 Panamera that is also doing the reboot. I purchased a new hard drive (mine happens to be the old IDE drive ) and used clonezilla to clone it. After cloning it and reinstalling it I was pleased to find that the system no longer reboots BUT I lost a few features. My iPhone connects via bluetooth but I have no sound or microphone through the radio. It does mute the stereo when a call comes in but thats about it. ALSO the navigation is stuck in loading maps and never loads. I tried to find a way to PM jslo but I can not seem to send it. I read in another post that I must post at least three times to send a pm so maybe that is an option.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:15 PM
Scott Grant
3rd Gear

I also forgot that I tried another attempt at cloning this time doing an os clone but still the same results. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thank you
Old 01-18-2021, 08:21 PM
Scott Grant
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jslo
Everything in here should apply to your 2016 PCM. Cloning the drive will not carry the problem over if done properly.
Is it possible to send you my drive for cloning still? I have the Toshiba rive out and would be happy to pay you for a new drive cloned plus shipping both ways. Please let me know. Thank you Scott Grant
Old 01-26-2021, 08:50 PM
gvenz33
1st Gear

I have a 2011 Porsche Panamera. My PCM is constantly rebooting constantly. I believe is 2.6. I just cancelled XM because of this. The HDD is on IDE cable. Can someone help me to

1. help me find the ISO to clone my drive or how this process works?
2. upgrade to 3.1
3. convert my HDD to a SSD drive and help with IDE to SATA conversion
Old 01-27-2021, 06:42 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by gvenz33
I have a 2011 Porsche Panamera. My PCM is constantly rebooting constantly. I believe is 2.6. I just cancelled XM because of this. The HDD is on IDE cable. Can someone help me to

1. help me find the ISO to clone my drive or how this process works?
2. upgrade to 3.1
3. convert my HDD to a SSD drive and help with IDE to SATA conversion
This might work for the conversion:
2.5 Inch Ide To Sata Adapter, Convert Laptop 44 Pin Male Ide Pata Hdd Hard Disk Drive Ssd To A Serial Ata Port|Computer Cables & Connectors| - AliExpress
Old 02-02-2021, 07:55 PM
prairiedawgshoot
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello All,,,my 2015 911 PCM is constantly rebooting and could use some help with getting it up and running...I'm not all that tech savvy, but should be able to remove the hard drive...is there anyone willing to take on a basket case like me and clone me a drive? thanks so much for your consideration

Old 02-12-2021, 04:36 PM
Nish
3rd Gear

Default Hi! Where did you get the image from?

Originally Posted by Schorsch
I tried it from a USB stick with no success. Burned the DVD with slow speed to a know brand dvd (Verbatim) and it worked like a charm. :-)
Hi! Where did you get the image from? am not able to find any thanks!
Old 02-13-2021, 12:44 AM
Panda88
5th Gear

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sV...smE7jBXCngUn8p
^ISO
Old 02-14-2021, 09:20 AM
mercaderfast
3rd Gear

Hello,My name is Tony do you repair porsche 991 pcm "Radios" with rebooting on off every minute or less? the dealer try to reset and i also did and nothing and im looking for someone that can help me with my problem. Thank you
Old 02-23-2021, 07:32 AM
911DE
7th Gear

Originally Posted by FOBioPatel
the dealer will have a map dvd that matches what is licensed for your car and re-install it. you could wait until your next scheduled service and lump it into that job, since they will have the car at that time anyway. it probably shouldn't take them more than 30 to 60 minutes to run the maps DVD.
PCM has been running stable since doing your suggested update with the burnt ISO onto the new SSD, everything works except the Navigation.

I found someone in a local forum who helped me with this problem previously and he gave me 4 PCM 3.1 2018-2019 Navigation Update DVD's and a USB stick to open the database (tied to my VIN apparently) and a SW update CD. I followed his instructions, update DVD ran successfully (Update is called PCM31MOPF_V473_RDW on screen FYI), then inserted the USB for 1 minute into the armrest USB port and after removing it I pressed the Info Button 10 seconds to activate the code / restart the PCM ready for the Maps install: But when inserting the first map DVD it asks if I want to update the navigation database to version 6.5.1 and when I click yes it briefly shows an empty progress bar and says "rebooting system" After the reboot not happens and after about 30 seconds the PCM displays the following error:

Update of Navigation Database aborted due to an error. Error code: 1011 Error text: Update not permitted - Database not unlocked.

So I though the USB unblocking thing didn't work, tried 20 different ways, different timings, different ignition settings, nothing.

Today I went to the local Porsche centre to ask them to unblock the Nav Database so I could run the update / get the files back onto the SSD. To my surprise they said they would be willing to and after 15 minutes they handed me my car back and said that they unblocked the database and also navigation itself. I assume this was somehow blocked due to not having the original HDD anymore? Anyway I went home and tried to run the update DVD. I asked how long I had to but he said it is now permanently unblocked.

I still get the same error. Update not permitted. Am I using the wrong DVDs for my 2014 Cayenne? is it actually still blocked somehow? What would you advise me to do?

Is there another easy or cheap way to get the nav back?
Old 02-24-2021, 04:10 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 911DE
PCM has been running stable since doing your suggested update with the burnt ISO onto the new SSD, everything works except the Navigation.

I found someone in a local forum who helped me with this problem previously and he gave me 4 PCM 3.1 2018-2019 Navigation Update DVD's and a USB stick to open the database (tied to my VIN apparently) and a SW update CD. I followed his instructions, update DVD ran successfully (Update is called PCM31MOPF_V473_RDW on screen FYI), then inserted the USB for 1 minute into the armrest USB port and after removing it I pressed the Info Button 10 seconds to activate the code / restart the PCM ready for the Maps install: But when inserting the first map DVD it asks if I want to update the navigation database to version 6.5.1 and when I click yes it briefly shows an empty progress bar and says "rebooting system" After the reboot not happens and after about 30 seconds the PCM displays the following error:

Update of Navigation Database aborted due to an error. Error code: 1011 Error text: Update not permitted - Database not unlocked.

So I though the USB unblocking thing didn't work, tried 20 different ways, different timings, different ignition settings, nothing.

Today I went to the local Porsche centre to ask them to unblock the Nav Database so I could run the update / get the files back onto the SSD. To my surprise they said they would be willing to and after 15 minutes they handed me my car back and said that they unblocked the database and also navigation itself. I assume this was somehow blocked due to not having the original HDD anymore? Anyway I went home and tried to run the update DVD. I asked how long I had to but he said it is now permanently unblocked.

I still get the same error. Update not permitted. Am I using the wrong DVDs for my 2014 Cayenne? is it actually still blocked somehow? What would you advise me to do?

Is there another easy or cheap way to get the nav back?
there are two parts to activation of maps - a) Activate the navigation feature itself and set region : ex: Europe/North America/Asia etc..) and b) then enable the correct version based on year of maps. The first part does not change unless you ship vehicles from one region to another. the second part is done whenever you buy a license key for a new set of maps. The dealer uses the license key to activate the pcm unit for the latest version of maps at that point.

For example say you had a 2014 porsche, then 2013/14 version of maps are pre-loaded. Now unless you bought another license key for 2018/19 maps (or some version in between) and had that activated by the dealer before your HDD failed, your pcm3.1 unit will only expect the original version mapping to 2013/14 maps (not the 2018/19 maps). I suspect the dealer just reapplied the settings that you were licensed for - they did not activate you for the latest set of maps.

Check the version of the maps (shows up along with all the other versions of SW update) - it will show up if any map update was done after the OEM pre-load. If you do not see any version listed, then likely you have the version of maps that was the latest when your vehicle first rolled off the dealership. You will have to run that version of map DVDs to get the old maps back.

Alternately, buy a new map key and have it coded - then you will be able to run the map disks you have by yourself. Any other options, like the ones suggested to you earlier, are dubious ways of coding the system to get your map disks to run and you take the risk of messing up the pcm internal registry.

Last edited by kari; 02-24-2021 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Schorsch (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:46 AM
911DE
7th Gear

Originally Posted by kari
there are two parts to activation of maps - a) Activate the navigation feature itself and set region : ex: Europe/North America/Asia etc..) and b) then enable the correct version based on year of maps. The first part does not change unless you ship vehicles from one region to another. the second part is done whenever you buy a license key for a new set of maps. The dealer uses the license key to activate the pcm unit for the latest version of maps at that point.

For example say you had a 2014 porsche, then 2013/14 version of maps are pre-loaded. Now unless you bought another license key for 2018/19 maps (or some version in between) and had that activated by the dealer before your HDD failed, your pcm3.1 unit will only expect the original version mapping to 2013/14 maps (not the 2018/19 maps). I suspect the dealer just reapplied the settings that you were licensed for - they did not activate you for the latest set of maps.

Check the version of the maps (shows up along with all the other versions of SW update) - it will show up if any map update was done after the OEM pre-load. If you do not see any version listed, then likely you have the version of maps that was the latest when your vehicle first rolled off the dealership. You will have to run that version of map DVDs to get the old maps back.

Alternately, buy a new map key and have it coded - then you will be able to run the map disks you have by yourself. Any other options, like the ones suggested to you earlier, are dubious ways of coding the system to get your map disks to run and you take the risk of messing up the pcm internal registry.
Ah ok great, Map upgrades were never bought. My parents consider those a ripoff.

So I basically should search for 2013/14 Porsche PCM 3.1 Map DVDs and use those and the PCM should be unlocked for that upgrade through the dealer now?

Are those to be reliably found on the internet let's say on the Bay? The dealer offered to "attempt to rebuild the map database for 300 Euros" - which my parents don't see as particularly good value and would stick to google maps on their phone...

Thanks once again.

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD