Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 07:47 PM
wquiles
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2014 981 Boxster S has issues with the PCM rebooting every 3 minutes or so, like in this thread, as of about 2 weeks ago. My PCM had already been updated for free 1-2 years ago during the recall, so I already have the latest firmware in my PCM. But since the
didn't fix it for me, I suspected the HDD was bad. Found this thread and the other thread with the ISO for 4.76 PCM 3.1 update, so instead of the $3-5K to replace, I figured I try it.

Got me a 120G SSD from Amazon = $22, and started working on it early today (Sat). As several videos in youtube show, you only have to slide the radio out to expose the top of the PCM where the HDD lies (
).

Once I got the HDD out, I downloaded and installed CloneZilla, to do a clone of the HDD into the new SSD. Note that your PC (I used Win10) needs two SATA USB adapters/docking stations so that you can plug each one (HDD and also the SSD) into available USB ports in your PC. Once you have your CloneZilla USB boot disk and boot into it, you can then follow instructions to clone the HDD into the SSD. I don't have to tell you, but I will: If you select the wrong target, you are dead in the water. Be extra careful!

Turns out my HDD was so bad, that the default CloneZilla settings failed in making a clone. I had to rerun it in the "dd" mode, or sector by sector, to even make it work.

Once I had the SSD ready, I tried it in my car, and it was "better" in that it now did a reset every 5min. I honestly was preparing for this, and it is why I had downloaded the ISO I mentioned above. Glad I did.

I first tried burning the DVD ISO image using DVD+R blank disks that I had laying around, but even after trying at various speeds, they never worked completely - the update would start, but error out.

I re-read the threads and caught that "everyone" that reported success used a Memorex DVD-R disk, so I made a trip to my local Walmart and bought a pack for $7. Sure enough this disk worked, although I had to run it 2-3 times until I got the "emergency repair" mode in which 100's of files were copied to the SSD.

Once I got the confirmation screen, I did the PCM reset (not that I had to), and waited. 5 min went by, then 10, then 15 - wow. No more resets!.

Just now came out from a wonderful drive with my wife (weather here in Texas was perfect blue sky, 65-67F!) and in the 1hour 45min drive, I NEVER got a single reset.

Once thing I noticed before I started the repairs: I had lost the navigation function - loading maps didn't work. This was my other indicator that something was seriously wrong with the HDD. Well, that is still the case after the SSD and system restore to 4.76 (same I started with), which as I expected from reading the other threads, does nothing for the nav/maps - that is yet another DVD to make that work - $200-300 from what I have found so far. Once I try this fix for a while longer, I will consider finding/buying the map DVD to see if that restores the navigation functionality.

At any rate, I am feeling pretty good. $30 out of pocket vs $3k+ for a replacement, for about 2-3 hours of trying the update 5-6 times - not bad in my book.

Last edited by wquiles; 01-29-2022 at 08:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wquiles:
davidbrady (02-24-2022), Loucel4 (02-06-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 02:42 AM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey bro . i dont have any clone ssd. just a blank SSD and the cloner rig. i am in india and shipping to USA would cost a bomb. i am sure you can get something much cheaper nearby.
The following users liked this post:
Loucel4 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 08:42 PM
gdhruv80
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 Cayman PCM resetting every 5 minutes and Bluetooth audio stopped working

Originally Posted by jslo
I have SSDs on-hand and can definitely get you backed up. If your drive still works, I can just clone the drive itself, which would save you on shipping and the worry of sending the whole unit. I'd include an update disc as well when I send it back, just in case it's needed when you re-install the drive. I recently did my new-to-me Cayman as soon as I picked it up and didn't need to to the update. Just dropped the drive back in place, and powered up the unit. I typically pull the fuse before I muck about with the head unit just be safe. The hard drive can be removed without actually disconnecting the entire head unit as well. Just need to pull it far enough out to access the two screws on the top of the unit.

I'd charge you like $80 to just do the drive, which would include the cost of the new ssd, my time to clone your drive, and the update disc. You can ship it to me and include a return label. We could do $40 up front and another $40 when I ship it back to you.

It's way cheaper than a replacement unit. I was looking on ebay the other day and they are over $6k. I think they are at least $4600 from Porsche if they can actually get them.
Hey I am facing the same problem I can mail you the unit would you be able to backup to a new drive and fix the issue for me ?
Old 02-16-2022, 07:52 PM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

What are the recommended specs for the SSD? Just a basic 120GB, 2.5" drive?
Old 02-17-2022, 12:00 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by danby
You need to consider that this SSD will be installed in automotive applications. If you look at the Toshiba that is installed in PCM, the temperature rating is 85C. The SSD’s that are sold in places like Best Buy or other retailers are designed for indoor computer applications with max temp rating of 65 to 70C.

I purchased this one in photos that is rated for automotive applications up to 85C, which have similar specs to the disc you are taking out. It also have strong specs for vibration and shock.

If you are going to use a disk cloner, the new SSD need to have more space than the HDD is replacing.

Keep that in mind.

Last edited by Santirx; 02-17-2022 at 12:03 AM.
PanaPano (01-09-2024)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:48 AM
danby
Instructor

That's a good callout on the operating environment, thanks! Do you know what the original HDD size is? I can't make it out from the photos and haven't disassembled mine yet.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:51 AM
danby
Instructor

Looks like 100GB according to some other posts. Could you recommend a vendor?

Last edited by danby; 02-17-2022 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:37 AM
Santirx
Racer

That's a good callout on the operating environment, thanks! Do you know what the original HDD size is? I can't make it out from the photos and haven't disassembled mine yet.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:44 AM
Santirx
Racer

Looks like 100GB according to some other posts. Could you recommend a vendor?
I posted a full DIY here in Macan forum… is the same for all PCM 3.1 so you can look into this one as reference:

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/d...backup.180790/

In there, you can go to post # 29, where I give vendor options… with links.

I got the Innodisk 3MR3-P rated for automotive applications, but they also have other industrial type SSD that can do the job. I purchased mine in Amazon at a relatively inexpensive price, considering these type of disk are more expensive than your “Best Buy” SSDs.
danby (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 11:34 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 212 Posts

Yes - just get any old inexpensive 120gb SATA SSD. I bought a generic PNY SSD for about $15 and it worked great right off the bat and I've had not problems with it. No need to sweat the details about temperature ratings. The SSD is not in the engine bay and is not exposed to direct sunlight. Plus, it's far more rugged than the HDD that originally came with the PCM.
Schorsch (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 02:37 PM
kepro74
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellas.

2013 991, PCM 3.1, had V4.76 on it.

My HDD was also acting up, random shutdowns after 5 minutes. Cloned it to a solid state industrial temp spec drive, copied the iso image onto an USB.
Have a Piwis tester, entered developer mode, then got to the update menu via SOURCE/MAP, USB flashes and updated to like 98%, then displays: error copying files.

Now i am in an eternal Emergency update loop. It copies 99% of the USB files, then says error and does the same again. And again.

When i reconnect the old HDD, the "update" goes through, but obviously that HDD is still making the same cutouts as before...

What did i do wrong with the new hard disk?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kepro74; 02-17-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:10 PM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by LSR
Yes - just get any old inexpensive 120gb SATA SSD. I bought a generic PNY SSD for about $15 and it worked great right off the bat and I've had not problems with it. No need to sweat the details about temperature ratings. The SSD is not in the engine bay and is not exposed to direct sunlight. Plus, it's far more rugged than the HDD that originally came with the PCM.
A car interior can get very hot during a Summer day if left out directly under the sun and extremely cold during the Winter (if you live in New England like me, this is very common). There is a reason why the original HDD have these temperature specs. And although I know that there are good safety factors incorporated in the design and specification of systems, these are introduced into the equation to improve long-term reliability of such systems.

Of course, anyone can install whatever they want. Installing a generic SSD, it will work fine, for a specified period of time… Furthermore, they don’t have mechanical moving parts… but this means that exposing the SSD in the fringe of its operating parameter or outside of it will theoretically have an impact on its longevity. I also know full well about the effect of infant mortality in these type of systems, and other failures that may not be related to temperature, shock or vibration… but it is all about probability. Minimizing probability of failure and extending system life.

To each their own… anyone can do whatever they want. Taking the PCM out for this repair is risky in itself and I rather do it once with the lowest theoretical probability of failure. Hence why I went this route…. This is the engineer in me…

If someone lives in an area that is not too cold or too hot, and car is mostly indoors, then of course the cheap SSD will work for that application.

Last edited by Santirx; 02-17-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:17 PM
fred1944
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I get a copy of the PCM update disk? TIA
Old 02-21-2022, 10:28 PM
GBoy1
AutoX

Does anyone provide this upgrade service?
Old 02-22-2022, 02:51 PM
fred1944
AutoX

Do you have for sale an update disk that will also update the GPS map? TIA

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD