Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cayman 981 with PCM3.1 V4.73 reboots every minute

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 05:49 PM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Question 2014 Cayman 981 with PCM3.1 V4.73 reboots every minute

As mentioned in the title, the screen keeps going through the bootup sequence. I can hear the system turning on and off, a slightly audible click as it goes from a blank screen to the loading screens. I believe the hard drive in the unit is failing. I'm about to call the dealership for a quote on the repair, but was wondering if I should go to a 3rd party and have them fix the hard drive and also upgrade to a system like one of these:
I suspect it will be hard to find a non-dealership shop that will be able to install the hard drive. I may have better luck getting the dealership to fix the PCM, and then go to the 3rd party for the retrofit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the aliexpress vs nmautomotive retrofits? Are they the same?

Appreciate the insight!
Old 12-21-2020, 06:11 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 350 Posts

Could this be related to the PCM Reboot issue back in May due to some XM Update??

Search this forum under "PCM Issues" just to take a look. There was some listed procedure to reset the PCM to factory default settings.

This may have nothing to do with your issues, yet worth a try before spending time and money elsewhere. Best of luck!

The following users liked this post:
FOBioPatel (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 09:18 PM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Lightbulb

Before factory resetting or making any changes to what appears to be a failing disk, I am going to attempt to clone the disk to an SSD.

https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...ve-to-ssd.html

If this project goes through successfully... I will attempt the Apple Carplay and Android Auto retrofit.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:27 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Good luck with the cloning but I suspect, just like in my 2013 Boxster S, the hard drive is shot.

Also, I notice that your car has the painted console and PCM again--just like mine. If you do an aftermarket option, you will no longer have the painted PCM module as the painted portion does not snap on and snap off--it's an integral component of the Porsche PCM. If that isn't important, then the aftermarket option should work well. Since I wanted to keep the painted PCM in my car, I had to special order the unit from Germany. That was back in October and I still have no idea when I'll receive it. Also, if you order another Porsche PCM, be prepared to bend over and grab your ankles--they are $3500!!

The aftermarket option, while "sans painted PCM", is definitely the cheaper option. Good luck!
FOBioPatel (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 01:41 AM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Default Work in progress

Before

Partially removed

Removed

It's out of the car

Waiting for my torx screwdriver so I can remove the hard drive
Old 12-23-2020, 03:27 PM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Steps so far:
  1. remove paneling to reveal four torx 25 screws holding the PCM
  2. turn car on (not the engine), engage handbrake, and drop car into drive
  3. remove positive connection on battery with 10mm socket
  4. remove four torx 25 screws, rest PCM on gear stick in drive position
  5. press tabs to at top of each cable connection to unplug each one, from the back of the PCM. the thick cable requires the black plastic strips to be squeezed together and pulled, to reveal a handle, which can be pulled to remove the plug
  6. use torx 8 screwdriver to remove screws holding the PCM hard drive in
  7. unplug the hard drive, the SATA interface is connected with a thin ribbon. The entire plastic piece comes off, not just the ribbon. see the photo
  8. plug 2 hard drives into the computer, the original PCM hard drive (in my case a toshiba mechnical hard disk drive), and the new SSD i plan on cloning the toshiba drive to
  9. get clonezilla, boot into the Expert mode to reveal the options you need for all your clone attempts
  10. i have a disk failure :-( this is where i may hit failures.
More updates soon.

about to remove the hard drive

torx 8

the entire plastic piece, not just the white tab holding the ribbon, comes off

toshiba hdd, wish this was an ssd to begin with

torx 8 screws to remove the old hdd from the enclosure

my replacement drive, toshiba drive is already inside the computer

some options i tried in clonezilla

it still failed with this screen
Old 12-23-2020, 04:19 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FOBioPatel
Steps so far:
  1. remove paneling to reveal four torx 25 screws holding the PCM
  2. turn car on (not the engine), engage handbrake, and drop car into drive
  3. remove positive connection on battery with 10mm socket
  4. remove four torx 25 screws, rest PCM on gear stick in drive position
  5. press tabs to at top of each cable connection to unplug each one, from the back of the PCM. the thick cable requires the black plastic strips to be squeezed together and pulled, to reveal a handle, which can be pulled to remove the plug
  6. use torx 8 screwdriver to remove screws holding the PCM hard drive in
  7. unplug the hard drive, the SATA interface is connected with a thin ribbon. The entire plastic piece comes off, not just the ribbon. see the photo
  8. plug 2 hard drives into the computer, the original PCM hard drive (in my case a toshiba mechnical hard disk drive), and the new SSD i plan on cloning the toshiba drive to
  9. get clonezilla, boot into the Expert mode to reveal the options you need for all your clone attempts
  10. i have a disk failure :-( this is where i may hit failures.
More updates soon.

about to remove the hard drive

torx 8

the entire plastic piece, not just the white tab holding the ribbon, comes off

toshiba hdd, wish this was an ssd to begin with

torx 8 screws to remove the old hdd from the enclosure

my replacement drive, toshiba drive is already inside the computer

some options i tried in clonezilla

it still failed with this screen
Looks likes a hard drive failure like mine.

Although this failed, THANK YOU for the detailed tutorial really helpful!

Unfortunately these 981 PCM failures are not uncommon.

Will you opt for aftermarket unit or new Porsche PCM?
Old 12-23-2020, 04:44 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

To clone that sort of damaged disk you need a hardware cloning device. They simply copy block for block, never testing to see if the block is readable or not. I've used one a number of times where things like Clonezilla would fail on a bad block. The one I use is "WAVLINK" - something along the lines of: https://www.newegg.com/wavlink-wl-st...0VN-0069-00014

They're also MUCH faster than a computer-based clone - since all it's doing is reading and writing data. No error checking, no CRC, etc - bare basic copy, that usually works, even when ones made by programs like Clonezilla fail.

The following 2 users liked this post by deilenberger:
FOBioPatel (12-23-2020), maschinetheist (12-30-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 07:32 PM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Default It worked

The hard drive clone with clonezilla was a success using the expert mode and options I showed in the screenshots

I have minor software issues a firmware update should resolve. No major hardware issues though which is a relief!

Dealership charging me half hour labor to do firmware update from 4.73 to 4.76.

Happy with the outcome 🙂

Old 12-23-2020, 08:47 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

The hard drive clone with clonezilla was a success using the expert mode and options I showed in the screenshots

I have minor software issues a firmware update should resolve. No major hardware issues though which is a relief!

Happy with the outcome 🙂
Excellent! Glad it worked. If I were mechanically and/or technically inclined I would probably tackle this, but I'm neither and will probably just have to eat it and buy a whole new unit. Not sure I would even know where to look to have this done.

If this method works, it's unfortunate Porsche doesn't do this on a routine basis. I guess they want to sell more PCMs and charge for labor. Brutal.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:03 PM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

I'm happy to try help you if you can remove the pcm and ship it to me. Worst case I fail and you order a new unit anyway

If you can remove the hard drive it will be cheaper to ship
​​ship just the disk

Last edited by FOBioPatel; 12-23-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Happy with the outcome 🙂
Did you simply install the cloned SSD disk - that was copied to with the error message? It's certainly possible that CloneZilla rearranges the content and order of the blocks - just referencing them in the disk directory structure, so what might have been a fatal failure on the old drive now is simply ignored with the new drive.
FOBioPatel (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:08 PM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Clonezilla was configured to do a sector by sector copy and skip unreadable areas but not terminate upon failure. It does everything it possibly can.

​​​​​​Reinstalling firmware eliminates the software issues associated with the lost data
it is a mirror image, no rearrangements

i put the cloned disk into the car. It's an ssd now

Last edited by FOBioPatel; 12-23-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:50 AM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flgfish
This ISO appears to be a copy of a Porsche DVD with part number WKD95280017
Name: pcm_20150721.iso
Size: 4579524608 bytes (4367 MiB)
SHA256: D19C34FBC9247CEA30E79D5939F4A0EFEADC8ADB3AF87B7F10B1CC6292C2B021

The unit still reboots even with the SSD. Not wanting to wait for Jan 2 for my appointment at the dealership to update the firmware, another kind rennlist user (flgfish) has linked to the ISO file, which can be used to burn to a DVD-R disc, and update the firmware. Giving it a go now.

This video makes it seem like it is a trivial process once you've made the DVD:

going to follow the instructions and caveats outlined rather clearly here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16522507

Last edited by FOBioPatel; 12-29-2020 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add version # of dvd
FlyerHiker (01-26-2021)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:06 PM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

I took the car to the roof of my parking deck, so I had an unobstructed Sirius XM signal, in case that was necessary during the firmware update. I pressed Sound + Info together to get to the screen where I could see the Firmware Version (4.73) and serial number of my PCM unit. Upon inserting the DVD, I pressed "Confirm" to begin the process. It reboots on its own several times once the update begins, and at one point, it booted into the "Emergency Recovery" mode and ejected the DVD. It begins a countdown at this time, from 20, as it looks for the DVD again. I re-inserted the DVD, and it proceeded with the Emergency Recovery. The entire process took 25 minutes.

My maps load up fine. And the Sound+Info diagnostics readout for "SWID_PCM31HDD" no longer shows Invalid. I won't have to go to the dealership to get this resolved, after all.
maschinetheist (12-30-2020)

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayman 981 with PCM3.1 V4.73 reboots every minute