Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 05:29 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
I guess I didn't post it here. Must have been some other thread.
Here's an ISO of the PCM update CD. I think others have used it, just burn it to a disc.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sV...smE7jBXCngUn8p
@fred1944 This is the latest V4.76 update for the PCM3.1 V4.XX You will need to burn it to a DVD or possibly a thumb drive as a CD is too small. A map grade is a difficult and expensive upgrade that involves buying a key code tied to your vin from Porsche and paying a dealership with the map update CD's to download them to your PCM with your vin number.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
fred1944 (03-26-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 10:38 PM
fred1944
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so very much, If I put this on a DVD will the player in my 981 read the disk? I didn't know if the player was CD or DVD, My current version is 4.73, is there a big difference between the 4.73 and 4,76? Once again, Thank you so much.
Fred
Old 02-22-2022, 10:41 PM
fred1944
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here ya go, pick one
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-24-2022, 02:38 PM
davidbrady
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard drive replaced, upgraded to JoyeAuto Apple CarPlay

Many Thanks and Kudos for the detailed instructions above! Dude, you kick butt here and Thank You for taking the time to post steps and photos...
  1. I went with the
    JoyeAuto Apple CarPlay kit JoyeAuto Apple CarPlay kit
    (AMZN $439) and during the install, the PCM 3.1 system went into constant reboot mode. Coincidence? Who knows... but I went thru the HDD -> SSD upgrade as described above, and it worked. If anyone wants links to the
    Kingston 240GB SATA SSD Kingston 240GB SATA SSD
    I purchased (AMZN $35) the
    WAVLINK hard drive dock WAVLINK hard drive dock
    for cloning (AMZN $33), and the process for burning the PCM 4.76 ISO image to a
    DVD-R DVD-R
    (using an Apple SuperDrive $79), let me know.
  2. I _generally_ have a working system now. The JoyeAuto has a curious screen flicker that is distracting, but it does work. This part of upgrade required my local audio shop to do the install ($600) so this isn't a cheap upgrade, and isn't the easiest as you have to do some "heart and brain bypass" surgery to insert a new sub-board and new video switcher box, but well worth it in my book. The HDD -> SSD upgrade was the really easy and cheap part of my saga. NOTE: By going JoyeAuto CarPlay I lost SiriusXM (no biggie as I now use the SiriusXM app on my phone via CarPlay), and I did also lose AM/FM (only noticeable if the world ends and I somehow need AM news info) but I also lost the Jukebox function. Some have told me that the ZZ2 CarPlay upgrade is a better option? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anyhow, my PCM is now at 4.76 (I only see some minor UI changes in OPTIONS), I still retain the PCM MAP and NAVI functions, I have much clearer PHONE setup for calls (a new mic and clearer audio out of the system speakers with JoyeAuto). And the damn things stopped re-booting (so the fuse is back in, lol). And I have CarPlay.

Holler if I can answer questions or provide links.

wquiles (02-26-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 06:37 PM
davidbrady
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgraded to JoyeAuto and HDD->SSD fix

I can echo the statements and DIY guides above: I've successfully updated to the JoyeAuto CarPlay unit in my 2014 Cayenne (base). I don't believe this is a DIY project for the feint of heart -- I had a pro car stereo shop do it as it involved dropping in a side board, removing the SXM module, and routing a new mic. Ran me $600 for the install, $439 for the JoyeAuto unit.

Coincidentally, I started getting PCM reboots so I went forward with the HDD -> SSD replacement. Cloning went fine, but the re-install of the PCM 4.76 ISO disc image was problematic -- took 4 different DVD-R's before it would complete the update once the disc was inserted -- but it did eventually complete. My NAVI and MAP functions remains intact. The HDD->SSD upgrade part is the one that's cheap and relatively easy. You get a few UI tweaks for the PCM by going version 4.76 but I honestly can't say that I notice much else. At least you won't reboot and you won't need to pull a fuse nor get greeted with a "battery save" message each morning.

(+): You get CarPlay. Welcome to 2021'ish. Phone calls sound _much_ better and people claim I sound much better as well. The upgrade looks OEM.
(-): You lose SiriusXM (not a big deal IMO because if you want it and choose to subscribe, it's a CarPlay app). You lose Jukebox. I lost AM/FM (only a problem for me if the world comes to an end and I need the AM radio dial) :-)

Hope this is helpful!

NOTE: Some say the ZZ2 CarPlay upgrade is better than JoyeAuto. I'd be tempted to look into it, as I really don't know about the build quality here.

wquiles (02-26-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 03:46 PM
McGary911
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for everyone who contributed on this thread. I pulled out my old physical drive today. My car was built in Feb 2013 so likely had an original IDE drive but the previous owner had to replace it $$$ because it kept restarting. Imagine that? So I had a SATA drive in the replacement unit.

I cloned it with a SATA dock that also duplicates ($35).

Amazon Amazon

I bought a 125gb Lexar SDD drive for $21.

Amazon Amazon

All went well. The drive took about 20 minutes to copy. I for once didn't break off any tabs and whatnot removing the side trim. This is some super cheap peace of mind.
wquiles (02-28-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 01:05 PM
jimmy8582
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi jsol,
I have the same problem, now the pcm is in emergency update loop. i did clone the hdd to ssd, and there is bad sector on the old drive. the clone was completed. when i plug in the new ssd to pcm and insert cd, it stopped at placeholder (error copying file). i dont know which step i did wrong, can you guide me through. thank you
Old 03-04-2022, 12:39 AM
wallauer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcm não aparece navi , bt e jukbox

[QUOTE=jslo;16194989]Recebi a unidade de backup na sexta-feira. Como eu realmente não precisava dele agora, e o vendedor não aceitaria como devolução, usei-o para experimentar algumas coisas diferentes. O que eu aprendi é que com uma unidade boa e funcional, você simplesmente precisa clonar a unidade para sua substituição. Então você pode simplesmente instalá-lo no PCM e tudo funcionará. Não há necessidade de executar o disco de atualização. Eu tentei o software Acronis True Image para clonagem com resultados ruins. Eu recomendaria o Clonezilla com base no sucesso que tive. Vou retirar minha unidade existente novamente, clonar o clone e mantê-lo como backup caso ocorra outra falha no futuro. Seguro barato neste momento.

Outras coisas que aprendi: