Very disappointed with 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:11 PM
lulu21
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very disappointed with 997TT

Hi Guys,

I have had my 997 TT TIP since a month now and have already done 5,000 KM. I ran it in properly, drive it slowly until oil is warm and generally do everything to treat the car very well.

I have taken it on the highways to test its performance. My points (and disappointments) are:

-Acceleration 0-100km/h is very good, but

-After you are in 3rd gear (and higher), acceleration is no good for a proper sports car. This is supposed to be the icon of THE German Sports car manufacturer ? You gotta be kidding !!! It is a disgrace to say the least. I hate BMWs, but for example a BMW M6 has basically the same acceleration 0-200km/h than the 997 TT and is probably faster above 200km/h. This is a full-blown 4-seater with a N/A engine, even costs 30,000 EUROS less, and has the same or better performance than THE German Sportscar ??? Come on...

I am not even talking about F430s, Z06s, Lambos, etc...

-Even not comparing the 997TT to any other car, it just does not feel really fast.

-Above 250km/h acceleration is almost non-existant.

I did check the times of my car, and yes it does 0-200km/h in 12.2 secs, so there is nothing wrong with it. It is just underpowered for what it is supposed to be.

Other negative points:

-There is very well a serious turbo lag, maybe not as bad as on earlier models, but still way too much lag.

-Exhaust sound is ridiculous. But that has been discussed already intensively..

-Sound system is a total joke. The worst I have ever heard on any car costing more than 25,000 EUROS.

-Quality control apparently seem to have reached below Mercedes standards:
1. On delivery, interior lighting did not work at all. Had to go back to Porsche to have it fixed.
2. Unidentifiable noise from the rear seats, Porsche has yet to find a solution.
3. Unidentifiable noise from the rear axle, Porsche has yet to find a solution.
4. Stitching of leather on drivers seat has several defaults, leather on passenger seat as well.
5. Drivers side window squeaking when putting it down. Making wind noise at speeds above 180km/h

And a few other defaults, all since delivery.

Where is the build quality of earlier Porsches ???

I always thought Wedeking was doing a good job at Porsche, but now he seems to me like a cousin of Schrempp...

In my opinion, the car is underpowered by at least 100hp. I know there are tuners out there who make the car faster, but the point here is that it should be much faster in its original state.

And quality control should be MUCH better.

What do you guys think ? Am I wrong, or do you see my point ?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:24 PM
RSA333
Racer

lulu21-

How long have you been driving 911 Turbos? I can agree with you on the build quality issues, but not on the lag - you may not have been exposed to earlier 930's - there huge lag in those cars.

For not much money, you can increase the performance of the turbo to beyond your wildest dreams.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Vincy
Advanced

Default Have to accept what it is.

lulu21, I agree with your commments and don't like the turbo lag. But I have to accept the car for what it is, and its not a high torque big block. It needs to generate boost before it get fast. I think it handles great and feels nimble ot me. Yes I wish it were faster, especially at low rpm, but its too pricey for me to start with mods.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:36 PM
GForceSS
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RSA333
lulu21-

How long have you been driving 911 Turbos? I can agree with you on the build quality issues, but not on the lag - you may not have been exposed to earlier 930's - there huge lag in those cars.

For not much money, you can increase the performance of the turbo to beyond your wildest dreams.

Lag is lag, no matter how you look at it. Sure the 993 might have significantly more.

About how much time does it take for the car to "kick in"? From a dead stop mashing the gas and counting the seconds before the turbos hit.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:58 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

1 post....
If you don't like the car get rid of it and get something else.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by lulu21
Hi Guys,

I have had my 997 TT TIP since a month now and have already done 5,000 KM. I ran it in properly, drive it slowly until oil is warm and generally do everything to treat the car very well.

I have taken it on the highways to test its performance. My points (and disappointments) are:

-Acceleration 0-100km/h is very good, but

-After you are in 3rd gear (and higher), acceleration is no good for a proper sports car. This is supposed to be the icon of THE German Sports car manufacturer ? You gotta be kidding !!! It is a disgrace to say the least. I hate BMWs, but for example a BMW M6 has basically the same acceleration 0-200km/h than the 997 TT and is probably faster above 200km/h. This is a full-blown 4-seater with a N/A engine, even costs 30,000 EUROS less, and has the same or better performance than THE German Sportscar ??? Come on...

I am not even talking about F430s, Z06s, Lambos, etc...

-Even not comparing the 997TT to any other car, it just does not feel really fast.

-Above 250km/h acceleration is almost non-existant.

I did check the times of my car, and yes it does 0-200km/h in 12.2 secs, so there is nothing wrong with it. It is just underpowered for what it is supposed to be.

Other negative points:

-There is very well a serious turbo lag, maybe not as bad as on earlier models, but still way too much lag.

-Exhaust sound is ridiculous. But that has been discussed already intensively..

-Sound system is a total joke. The worst I have ever heard on any car costing more than 25,000 EUROS.

-Quality control apparently seem to have reached below Mercedes standards:
1. On delivery, interior lighting did not work at all. Had to go back to Porsche to have it fixed.
2. Unidentifiable noise from the rear seats, Porsche has yet to find a solution.
3. Unidentifiable noise from the rear axle, Porsche has yet to find a solution.
4. Stitching of leather on drivers seat has several defaults, leather on passenger seat as well.
5. Drivers side window squeaking when putting it down. Making wind noise at speeds above 180km/h

And a few other defaults, all since delivery.

Where is the build quality of earlier Porsches ???

I always thought Wedeking was doing a good job at Porsche, but now he seems to me like a cousin of Schrempp...

In my opinion, the car is underpowered by at least 100hp. I know there are tuners out there who make the car faster, but the point here is that it should be much faster in its original state.

And quality control should be MUCH better.

What do you guys think ? Am I wrong, or do you see my point ?
Can you say TROLL?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
GForceSS
8th Gear

Is this your first Turbo car?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
pete77930
Racer

fabspeed bypass pipes help the lag quite a bit and the sound is great to acompany it. i think the motor needs to spin to 7k on the tach but build quality on my turbo was excellent, as porsche has always been. my only complaint is that the electronic suspension is a little soft and limits the possiblities for mods at this time.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

Default That's what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by AAH986
Can you say TROLL?
Stand by for a 10 page thread.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:52 PM
W211
Racer

I see your points but feel the 997TT being a good compromise. All the torque mosters out there may also feel quite fast, but they simply do not handle and they cannot get the power down.

Last time I checked, the M6 is slower than the 997TT significantly on paper. And in real life, 997TT is much faster having superior traction in all road condition. When I need speed, I just do the bang bang downshift and go, not having to worry about slipping.

Last edited by W211; 01-03-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL,

Your post indicates that you have never driven a car at speeds up to 300 km/h or more.

The M6 is a total slug in comparison to a 997 tt, especially above 200 km/h..........

The 997 tt is faster than the ZO6 from 0-300 km/h ................the 430 is not even in the same zipcode, you need a 599 to beat the 997 tt.

Once you wipe the milk off your mouth and are done pounding websites/magazines you will come to the conclusion that your talent /skill level(once you have a drivers license) will not even come close to tame a car worth of speeds of 300 km/h plus.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Lulu,
My car seems to have pretty good build quality, but I also have an issue with the seat belt rattle noise. It appears that the noise is comming from the chest/shoulder restraint were it goes into the rear panel opening. If you find the solution please let me know.

Thank You,
Max
Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, where to begin

No accelleration over 250 k/hr??? Your car must be broken, I've been there and above and my car pulls.

Fit and finish on my particular car left little to be desired. BTW, the whistling in the "Driver's window" may actually be the mirror. That was my problem and easily fixed. Otherwise my car has been flawless. Build quality vs earlier Porsches? I've owned 7 911's and one Boxster, I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Changing exhausts will help with sound and lag.

My personal car can easily walk away from an M6 above 200 k/hr, been there myself so I know this.

Are you being straight with us? If you are and you are that unhappy, by all means get rid of it. Life is too short and these cars are too expensive to drive one unhappily.

I can also tell you if you think a 430 is going to beat up on it, at any speed, you will be disappointed. Lambo, Z-06? I suggest that you very carefully drive the cars you feel superior in performance before you put your money down.

One of this car's problems is that they made it so smooth, quiet and easy to drive, it goes much faster than it feels it is going

Good Luck in finding what you want.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Your first mistake was the automatic.......
Better get off Dad's computer before he gets home.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Octanemia
Intermediate

no acceleration above 250?? LOL

Quick Reply: Very disappointed with 997TT