Sponsored by:

Engine out service costs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 08:21 PM
Mrak47
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine out service costs.

Hello! So I found coolant leaking from the front of the motor, a good amount was pooling under the car. Looked like the plastic elbows were getting old and about to give out. It definitely going to be an engine out service, P3 Autokräfte a local Porsche shop has quoted nearly 14k for Pinning the Cam gears, welding on the coolant pipes and replacing various other hoses. It is stated that this estimate may change because they need to look at the labor over lap.

I've got a couple other quotes but they have not seen the car however I was pretty thorough with the details of what needed to be done. Their pricing about 50% less than that quote.

What are some prices you've seen for this type of work? Any help with be so appreciated!

Last edited by Mrak47; 07-26-2024 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2024, 11:32 AM
eaks
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I paid about 15k cdn for my engine out which replaced pretty much everything (including my provided clutch/flywheel/ect). I was unable to get the cams pinned as I was in a hurry and none of the shops I called had the cam tools for the 997tt..

I would have much preferred to pay a few extra thousand and have thr cams taken care of but if I have issues I will deal with it then.. The cams aren't typically a catastrophic failure unlike thr coolant lines..

The pricing is hard to say ad you would need a breakdown of what's including.. It sounds like the first shop is most likely replacing everything whereas the other shops may only be budgeting the required parts and not necessarily everything..

The price doesn't seem too crazy to me and if the shop has done this exact work previously they should know what to expect and not cut corners
The following 2 users liked this post by eaks:
cakM3 (08-02-2024), Mrak47 (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 12:29 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 133 Posts

15k seems to be in line with what I’m seeing people post for a job like that.
Old 07-27-2024, 02:12 PM
mfm3
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

See this thread. It's two years old, but has detailed info.

Engine out service including pinning coolant lines, pinning cams, replacing clutch and other stuff

Last edited by mfm3; 07-27-2024 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mrak47 (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 03:00 PM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 83 Posts

$14k sounds reasonable to me for all the work that's involved, especially if that includes all new seals and hoses. That adds up quickly.
Mrak47 (07-27-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 06:22 PM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 164 Posts

Man these prices are all over. Speed Sport Tuning (CT) quoted me 15K to drop the engine and trans, weld coolant lines, and replace the clutch. I usually buy my own parts so I'm not sure how much that lowers the cost.

I honestly want to tackle this myself with some help, mostly to learn and say I did it.

Hoping I can rent a lift which will make it much easier.
moxie (SF) (08-01-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 07:50 PM
Mrak47
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Final price is $16,500 seems inflated dealer is at roughly 7k with out cams being finished.
Old 08-01-2024, 03:25 AM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie
Man these prices are all over. Speed Sport Tuning (CT) quoted me 15K to drop the engine and trans, weld coolant lines, and replace the clutch. I usually buy my own parts so I'm not sure how much that lowers the cost.

I honestly want to tackle this myself with some help, mostly to learn and say I did it.

Hoping I can rent a lift which will make it much easier.
If you lived in Nor Cal, I would have come over and helped. Do it! It's rewarding and not as hard as you think
PowderJunkie (08-02-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 03:29 AM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mrak47
Final price is $16,500 seems inflated dealer is at roughly 7k with out cams being finished.
Having done all the work myself, this seems like a fair price (assuming you are replacing all seals, plastic elbows, pinning cams and coolant lines, hoses, turbo water lines, and water pump). it's a big body of work and you have a I strip the engine down a good deal to do it right.

That being said, if you have any mechanical abilities, do it yourself!
Old 08-01-2024, 10:53 AM
eaks
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by moxie (SF)
Having done all the work myself, this seems like a fair price (assuming you are replacing all seals, plastic elbows, pinning cams and coolant lines, hoses, turbo water lines, and water pump). it's a big body of work and you have a I strip the engine down a good deal to do it right.

That being said, if you have any mechanical abilities, do it yourself!
Moxie,

Where did you get the cam tools from? Did you rent them or did you end up buying a set?
Old 08-02-2024, 05:37 PM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

If you lived in Nor Cal, I would have come over and helped. Do it! It's rewarding and not as hard as you think
Appreciate the encouragement!

I'm really looking forward to it, honestly. It's just a question of can I rent a lift or do I try it on QJ. I need to start ordering parts and getting stuff together so it can come out one weekend and back in the next.
Old 08-02-2024, 05:38 PM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the encouragement!

I'm really looking forward to it, honestly. It's just a question of can I rent a lift or do I try it on QJ. I need to start ordering parts and getting stuff together so it can come out one weekend and back in the next.
Old 08-02-2024, 07:10 PM
harlanmott3
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Not to discourage at all, I loved doing this and I would 1000% encourage anyone with even a little desire to do it as well. Was a great way to learn my car, plus it does feel great to say I did it myself. Now having said that...

You would have to move really fast as a first time engine pull and amateur mechanic to do it in 2 weekends. I know I was going slow as I wasn't in a rush at all but it took me several months from start to finish. I think it took me most of the first weekend just to get the engine lowered, and another full weekend to get it back up and in. The rest of those months was tear down, replacement, waiting on parts (even though I ordered "everything" ahead of time), and cleaning, double checking everything going back together, torque to spec and double check again, etc. I wouldn't want to do it in 2 weekends even now that I've done it.

FYI, lots of people use quickjacks to do the engine out. I think it needs an extension, I looked into it but in the end did it without the quickjacks. Just extra tall jack stands (for a motor home) and the hf table.
snolvr (08-04-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 05:45 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 368 Posts

^ Agree 100%

Mine was a COVID project and I think the car was down for about 7 weeks total. Certainly didn’t work on it all weekend each time, but each of the 7 weeks I did something. I probably spent at least 2 to 3 of those weekends cleaning everything.

Old 08-12-2024, 09:31 AM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harlanmott3
Not to discourage at all, I loved doing this and I would 1000% encourage anyone with even a little desire to do it as well. Was a great way to learn my car, plus it does feel great to say I did it myself. Now having said that...

You would have to move really fast as a first time engine pull and amateur mechanic to do it in 2 weekends. I know I was going slow as I wasn't in a rush at all but it took me several months from start to finish. I think it took me most of the first weekend just to get the engine lowered, and another full weekend to get it back up and in. The rest of those months was tear down, replacement, waiting on parts (even though I ordered "everything" ahead of time), and cleaning, double checking everything going back together, torque to spec and double check again, etc. I wouldn't want to do it in 2 weekends even now that I've done it.

FYI, lots of people use quickjacks to do the engine out. I think it needs an extension, I looked into it but in the end did it without the quickjacks. Just extra tall jack stands (for a motor home) and the hf table.
Fair, to clarify it will be many weeks. My goal is to get the engine actually out in one weekend, which I think is doable. I'm not doing this along but have an experienced mechanic helping me out.

Then a few weeks getting everything cleaned and sorted out.

Put back in should also really only be 1 weekend with a reliable, knowledgeable friend.

Quick Reply: Engine out service costs.