Sponsored by:

Jim's "RockyTop" 997.2 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 04:28 PM
mfm3
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTop
Tonight, I had the fortune to meet @snolvrthrough a PM about his H&R Springs. We worked out a great deal and I'm anxious to try the H&R's.

Mods Completed
Europipe Exhaust
DSC Controller
Cobb Tune
Rennline Car Mount w/ Magsafe Wireless Charging
Tunai Firefly LDAC Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver
Quad Exhaust Tips
LED Clear Side Markers

Mods in Progress
BC Forged KL12's Brushed Clear 19" - 9" / 12"
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - 245 / 35 / 19 - 325 / 30 / 19
H&R Springs
Werks Rear Diffuser
991.2 MF Steering Wheel - Carbon / Perforated Leather w/ Red Stripe & Stitching
Can’t wait the see the wheels on the car. Time for the H&Rs?
Old 03-30-2022, 04:54 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mfm3
Can’t wait the see the wheels on the car. Time for the H&Rs?
You and I both! Yes, the H&R's will go on soon after the wheels. I'm curious to see the stance without them first.
The following users liked this post:
mfm3 (03-30-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 12:32 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Wheels out for delivery! Let's go!
Old 04-12-2022, 02:31 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

And we're back! Sorry for the delay in updating the build the past two weeks. I'm in the lawn / landscaping industry and this is our "crazy" season with long hours.

I had the wheels and tires installed last week along with updating with Cobb Stage 2 Map from @SamboTT@ByDesign . The tune totally transformed the Turbo with shifts more precise, incredible power across all RPM's and a super sweet exhaust note now. The downshift gurgles put a smile on my face. Thanks, Sam!

I am also thrilled with how the wheels and tires turned out. The Michelin's ride 100% better than the Bridgestone tires that were mounted on the Spyder's. I'm very pleased with the look and contrast of the brushed clear wheels versus the black Spyder RS wheels too. Wheels are BC Forged K12's Brushed Clear with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (245F / 325R).

Next mod will be installing the H&R Springs and alignment later next week. I'm really curious to see how I will like the ride and stance once they are installed.

New steering wheel set up upcoming as well.

Have a great week!

BC Forged K12 Wheels / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - 245F / 325R

The following 4 users liked this post by RockyTop:
DivingorDriving (04-12-2022), mfm3 (04-12-2022), signde (04-12-2022), snolvr (04-13-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 08:11 PM
Ili Hung
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So glad I found your post. Absolutely love what you've done to this beautiful car. Back in February I’d just sold my 2003 X50 and was determined to get a GT4. I looked relentlessly for one until I stumbled upon the listing for your car. I called RSM the next day, but by then it’s already too late.

I’ve been unable to get your car out of my mind, so imagine my surprise when I saw your build thread. What an amazing set of mods so far. I can’t wait to see what else you have in store. Keep posting!!!
Old 04-18-2022, 08:35 PM
signde
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 155 Posts

your turbo is looking great! i love BC forged wheels and that rear diffuser looks sharp too.

strong chance i am headed to harper cars and coffee sunday. i will probably take the RS3 and park with the audi guys but would be cool to talk shop with a fellow 997 owner if you get a chance to make it out. right now as long as the weather still looks good i'm planning to be there.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:38 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ili Hung
So glad I found your post. Absolutely love what you've done to this beautiful car. Back in February I’d just sold my 2003 X50 and was determined to get a GT4. I looked relentlessly for one until I stumbled upon the listing for your car. I called RSM the next day, but by then it’s already too late.

I’ve been unable to get your car out of my mind, so imagine my surprise when I saw your build thread. What an amazing set of mods so far. I can’t wait to see what else you have in store. Keep posting!!!
@Ili Hung My apologies for the delay in replying. Thank you so much for the kind words. I am definitely blessed to be able to have this 997. With every mod and day that goes by I love it even more. Reach out to Sam at RSM and let him know what you're looking for. He will do his best to find it. You won't meet a more stand-up guy! I've purchased only two P-cars, both over the past 12 months, and they both came from Sam. If he ever finds me a manual 997.2 Turbo I will trade or sell my PDK (maybe).

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions here or by PM.

Have a great week!
Jim
Old 04-20-2022, 02:41 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by signde
your turbo is looking great! i love BC forged wheels and that rear diffuser looks sharp too.

strong chance i am headed to harper cars and coffee sunday. i will probably take the RS3 and park with the audi guys but would be cool to talk shop with a fellow 997 owner if you get a chance to make it out. right now as long as the weather still looks good i'm planning to be there.
Thanks, Bro! I am hoping to make it Sunday too. Yes, let's definitely try to meet up there. This will be my first C&C so I'm not sure what to expect? I'm anxious to see all the amazing vehicles and meet other owners.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:50 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Here's a few impromptu photos I shot with my iPhone 13 Pro Max last week. I still haven't had a chance to break out the medium format camera gear. I'm still amazed just how good the raw files look and just how pliable they are coming out of an iPhone.

Yesterday's only mod was a new license plate. It took the state a full two months to produce a five letter plate. Clown world. .

997.2 Turbo License Plate 911TT

997.2 Turbo

997.2 Turbo

997.2 Turbo
Old 04-20-2022, 02:50 PM
signde
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 155 Posts

Thanks, Bro! I am hoping to make it Sunday too. Yes, let's definitely try to meet up there. This will be my first C&C so I'm not sure what to expect? I'm anxious to see all the amazing vehicles and meet other owners.
sounds good!

will be my first harper cars and coffee too. apparently it's huge. the smoky mountain audi club gets there at like 6am but that is because harper reserves a section for them as long as they arrive early.

still not 100% sure i am going and it will largely depend on if the current weather forecast holds. will let you know for sure by saturday.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:57 PM
Ili Hung
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Ili Hung My apologies for the delay in replying. Thank you so much for the kind words. I am definitely blessed to be able to have this 997. With every mod and day that goes by I love it even more. Reach out to Sam at RSM and let him know what you're looking for. He will do his best to find it. You won't meet a more stand-up guy! I've purchased only two P-cars, both over the past 12 months, and they both came from Sam. If he ever finds me a manual 997.2 Turbo I will trade or sell my PDK (maybe).

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions here or by PM.

Have a great week!
Jim
Thanks Jim! I did eventually get a low mileage, stock 2011 Turbo S. I haven't done anything to it yet but finding your build thread is both a blessing and a curse....since it's giving me all kinds of bad financial ideas. I was going to keep this one stock, but you're not making it easy for me. 997.2 TT in manual is unicorn. My friend's got a blue 2010 manual TT but he ain't selling. Will definitely reach out for advice in the future. Currently shopping for exhaust system and would love to score a deal like yours.

You have a great week too. Great photos from today.

The following users liked this post:
DivingorDriving (04-20-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 03:58 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ili Hung
Thanks Jim! I did eventually get a low mileage, stock 2011 Turbo S. I haven't done anything to it yet but finding your build thread is both a blessing and a curse....since it's giving me all kinds of bad financial ideas. I was going to keep this one stock, but you're not making it easy for me. 997.2 TT in manual is unicorn. My friend's got a blue 2010 manual TT but he ain't selling. Will definitely reach out for advice in the future. Currently shopping for exhaust system and would love to score a deal like yours.

You have a great week too. Great photos from today.

Absolutely beautiful! You're going to love the Turbo S
Old 04-24-2022, 04:06 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

The wife and I finally had a weekend to ourselves. Since we homeschool our two teenager's together we rarely get time for just us. Yesterday we spent the day traveling from Knoxville to Newport, Greenville and Morristown TN. Made a pitstop at Yoder's General Store for an awesome sandwich then back to Knoxville for a quick evening photoshoot. We had 220 miles of mostly backroad's which was a blast.

I tried installing the new steering wheel on Friday, but I ran into some issues which were mostly self-inflicted. After one of the airbag mounting screws was stripped (not by me) I had to source a tap / die to fix that. Once fixed, I mistakenly pushed the bracket back in place too hard and broke an electrical connection off of the paddle shifter circuit board. The solder joints are way too small to fix so I had to source a new paddle. Fortunately, I found one on eBay and it should arrive tomorrow. I'll try and tackle the new wheel Tuesday.

Have a great week!

997.2 Turbo - Knoxville, TN Skyline

The following 3 users liked this post by RockyTop:
DivingorDriving (04-25-2022), signde (04-24-2022), snolvr (04-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Jim's "RockyTop" 997.2 Build Thread