Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim's "RockyTop" 997.2 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 12:16 AM
RockyTop
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

The Europipe is the real deal! I know... This post is useless without a photo or video. Sorry. I didn't get the car back until late.

Man, I love the sound at all ranges and especially no drone! It's nice and quiet just cruising, but winding up and at WOT it sounds like what should have come out of the factory. Best mod so far.

I can't say enough good things about @stef@europipe He knew I had picked up a nice used EP with less than 1000 miles. He reached out to offer any help. Whether I need parts or installation advice he said to send him a message. His exhausts are a work of art and his customer service is top-shelf. Thanks Stef!

Cobb Tune going on tomorrow afternoon. I'm anxious to see if OTS maps make any difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by RockyTop:
DivingorDriving (03-17-2022), Dodaleca (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 04:33 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

I tried to install the Cobb Tune last night and again this morning. After a new 15A charger purchase and AGM battery it's still won't take the Cobb Stage 1 Map. It continually freezes after 100% flash while backing up the stock tune. It appears my car already has some sort of tune installed? I have to take it to the dealer and have them refresh the ECU with the stock tune. Once that is done next week, Cobb is confident I will be able to install the Stage 1 OTC tune. Cobb has been outstanding in helping me troubleshoot the issue.

My original Porsche battery had a 14 / 14 date on the negative terminal. It is my understanding that's the 14th. week and 2014. Eight years that battery has been in the car. The new one cranks the starter so much better.

On the mod front today, I just got word from Dallas Custom Steering wheels my newly recovered 991.2 MF wheel has shipped. I had them add perforated leather to the wheel. I'm still waiting on my airbag (eBay purchase) which will hopefully be here later this month. I can't wait to install the 991.2 steering wheel to update the look. New chrome "Turbo" badge should be here later today and plan to install over the weekend.

Two new sets of mats arrived yesterday. I found a nice "Turbo" set on FB marketplace and another set with "Porsche" red lettering on eBay. Both are LLoyd mats and excellent quality. From my understanding these are hard to find too since Lloyd no longer has the Porsche license.

Finally, my 15 year old just sent me a photo of him with his newly acquired "Learner's Permit." He studied hard the past week and is so excited! And so it begins...

Hope everyone has a great weekend and enjoy March Madness. My Vols play Saturday afternoon.

Argh! Cobb Tune a "no go" today.

991.2 MF Wheel w/ mod by Dallas Customs

991.2 MF Wheel w/ mod by Dallas Customs

OEM 2014 Battery - 8 Years Old!

New AGM H7

New Charger

NEW AGM H7

Custom Lloyd Mat

Custom LLoyd Mat

The following 2 users liked this post by RockyTop:
DivingorDriving (03-19-2022), mfm3 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 06:09 PM
mfm3
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Steering wheel is 🔥
Nice score on the turbo mats. I’ve been looking for months.

Last edited by mfm3; 03-18-2022 at 06:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mfm3:
DivingorDriving (03-19-2022), realking (03-19-2022), RockyTop (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 08:05 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by mfm3
Steering wheel is 🔥
Nice score on the turbo mats. I’ve been looking for months.
Finding parts is like a unicorn these days. If I decide to let them go I'll send you a PM. Since I have the new Porsche mats I may sell the Turbo mats?
The following users liked this post:
mfm3 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 12:29 AM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 124 Posts

That steering wheel is so nice! Look forward to a photo in situ. (My car needed a new battery when I got it as well, along with new tires. They are fantastic machines, but they're not new. But so much the better!)
The following users liked this post:
RockyTop (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 03:28 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by DivingorDriving
That steering wheel is so nice! Look forward to a photo in situ. (My car needed a new battery when I got it as well, along with new tires. They are fantastic machines, but they're not new. But so much the better!)
Thank you @DivingorDriving I'll post up a photo once installed.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:45 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

I spent the morning prepping and installing the Werks Diffuser I found on EBay. The seller posted it as "New" which is questionable. Cosmetically the diffuser does appear new with the exception of not having any heat shield material included. Fortunately, I caught that upon ordering and the seller sent a second shipment with some heat shield material. I was very pleased with the packaging / boxing and willingness of the seller to get both items out quickly.

I went to install the diffuser today and it appears it may be a defective unit? The holes line up perfect, but each end of the diffuser is not bending upward towards the bumper (see photos). It's hanging about 1/4 - 3/8" down on each side. It's hard to find any reference photos online of it installed on a 997.2. The couple of photos I've found do not show this gap. Honestly, with a little minor fabrication I believe I can make it work. Normally, I would just return it and request a refund, however, you can no longer source the diffusers and I really like the look. My thoughts are to drill a small hole on each end and install a stainless steel bolt, washer and lock nut which should pull it up flush. The bolt head would be hidden so only I would know. Depending how willing the seller is to offer a discount versus full refund will be the deciding factor if I keep it. Honestly, it doesn't look horrible the way it is, but my OCD is kicking in. .

Let me know if you have any thoughts or input to a better fix. I researched heating and bending Carbon Fiber, but that doesn't appear to be a viable solution.

I held off swapping the black Turbo emblem with the chrome emblem since the temperature dropped today. I would rather do that swap when it's warm outside to help in removing the adhesive.

Have a great weekend!

Old 03-19-2022, 09:10 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

You had me curious so I went out and looked at my diffuser. Seems to fit flush, and with the same connection points as yours.

When you're standing behind your car, can you even see those gaps? I had to get down pretty low to take a photo that would show the fitment. But I can understand that you would want it to be flush. Especially since, as I have related before, I drag my rear diffuser BEFORE I ever drag the front lip. With those corners down, it will be that much closer to those steep driveways.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:05 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Thanks for the info and photo @DivingorDriving . I sent you a PM
Old 03-20-2022, 01:53 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

So I think I may have found the problem? If you look at @DivingorDriving photo his lower left bumper piece ends at the diffuser. His lower bumper piece terminates at the diffuser and my lower bumper is one complete piece from left to right. My theory is the center screws (mounting points) are putting the diffuser under stress and causing the diffuser to flex downward on the ends. If I trim / notch my lower valance it will raise the diffuser a little and I'm hopeful it will straighten back out flush on the ends. Fortunately, the lower trim is not that expensive so I can always replace it if I sell the car (blasphemy) or want to remove the diffuser later.

Just updating my progress in case someone else runs in to this same issue down the road. Unfortunately, there are zero instructions online and very few photos to compare. Stay tuned...

Last edited by RockyTop; 03-20-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:13 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

When I looked at my previous photo, I thought you were right. But I just looked at it again, and the bottom of the bumper doesn't end at the edge of the diffuser as it appears; it carries on straight across.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:10 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Thanks for the follow up and additional photo @DivingorDriving . That really helped a lot and saved me a ton of time removing the bumper, etc.

Just to keep the thread updated - The bottom valance piece is definitely one piece on both mine and DivingorDriving's Turbo. I've come to the conclusion the only way to make it work is with a Grade 8 / 1/4" washer head bolt (black) through the diffuser and up though the bumper. I'll attach a large fender washer and nut inside the bumper. Hopefully, this will pull up the sagging sections on each side without too much stress. My fear is developing a stress crack under load while driving. Another option would be to put a large mending type plate lengthwise on the inside of the bumper to disperse the pressure / tension that will be created. I'll install the fender washer fix first and see how it holds up.

If anyone reading this has a Werks Diffuser you want to part with please send me a PM. It's a longshot, but I have a couple of days before I drill the diffuser.

Today was the day... My son took the wheel for the first time after getting his learner's permit on Friday. We went to the local high school and cemetery to start the learning process and get a feel for driving. He did great and with some practice will hit the main roads soon. He and I both were a little nervous, but he quickly picked it up. He said "It's totally different sitting in the driver's seat, Dad!" Yes it is!

Have a great week!

Last edited by RockyTop; 03-20-2022 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:19 AM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Good idea starting him on the Toyota .
Old 03-21-2022, 12:33 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by DivingorDriving
Good idea starting him on the Toyota .
That's my wife's 2004 Land Cruiser with 186K. We love this vehicle! I was planning to get her another car this year and she said, "absolutely not!" It's an awesome vehicle.

Good news on the diffuser front. Champion Motorsports reached out by email this morning. They looked at the photos and confirmed that the unit I received on eBay was defective. The better news.... They are sending me one from the factory! I've started the return process with eBay and shipping the defective unit back for a full refund today. Let's go!
Old 03-21-2022, 12:40 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Wow, that is awesome news! Things like that don't often get sorted out that well. Good on Champion for stepping up. And no drilling for you!

Quick Reply: Jim's "RockyTop" 997.2 Build Thread