Jim's "RockyTop" 997.2 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 06:35 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Welcome! Lovely car!
Thank you, @Needsdecaf. Love your S as well.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:37 AM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 124 Posts

[QUOTE=RockyTop;18000269]I'm thinking about this emblem to go with the red / black theme on the Turbo. Thoughts?

Assuming this means yours has red deviated stitching? Would love to see some photos of your car.

(I'm leaning no on the emblem change. I just walked out to the garage to look at mine, and the gold looks really lovely against the black. But of course it's a matter of taste, and I almost didn't voice mine; it's your baby and you should do what you like!)
The following users liked this post:
RockyTop (03-01-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 10:31 AM
signde
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 155 Posts

congrats on the 997.2TT!

i grew up just west of knoxville and have spent a lot of time there. i'm still not very far here in nashville. there's a big cars and coffee a few times a year that harper puts on at west town mall. one of these days i am going to make it to that.

i'm kind of surprised 911TT was available although that's one vanity plate i don't think i checked. is that going to be on the standard new blue plate or another variant? i don't love our new blue plates but they are an upgrade over the white/green one.
RockyTop (03-04-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 10:37 AM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by signde
congrats on the 997.2TT!

i grew up just west of knoxville and have spent a lot of time there. i'm still not very far here in nashville. there's a big cars and coffee a few times a year that harper puts on at west town mall. one of these days i am going to make it to that.

i'm kind of surprised 911TT was available although that's one vanity plate i don't think i checked. is that going to be on the standard new blue plate or another variant? i don't love our new blue plates but they are an upgrade over the white/green one.
Yes, I've heard about the Harper's C&C and hopefully will make it. Definitely hit me up if you come towards Knoxville for the C&C.

I was surprised too that "911TT" was available. I spent way too much time looking at vanity plate ideas. . I did the five letter plate with the Bald Eagle and "In God We Trust" plate. It's in the Clubs & Organizations category. I'm not a fan of the new Blue (Michigan style) plates.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:21 AM
signde
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTop
Yes, I've heard about the Harper's C&C and hopefully will make it. Definitely hit me up if you come towards Knoxville for the C&C.

I was surprised too that "911TT" was available. I spent way too much time looking at vanity plate ideas. . I did the five letter plate with the Bald Eagle and "In God We Trust" plate. It's in the Clubs & Organizations category. I'm not a fan of the new Blue (Michigan style) plates.
that would make sense how you got it then. i was pretty certain i tried "911TT" but i was only checking with the standard plate which was the green and white one at the time.

harper cars and coffee is huge - it will take over the entirety of the west town mall parking lot. the next one is sunday, april 24th. always a chance i might make it but not sure. that's about a 400 mile round trip for me and that's a lot of empty miles, especially on the 911.
RockyTop (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 11:05 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Loaded the Cayman up on the truck today to its new home. 997.2 incoming late this week or first of next at the latest. The next few days are going to be long and the nights sleepless in anticipation.

Yes, the lip cleared by about 1/4"!

2014 Cayman

2014 Cayman

2014 Cayman

2014 Cayman

Last edited by RockyTop; 03-01-2022 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:14 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Just got a text...

997.2 being delivered tomorrow! Let's GO!
charlie1 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:50 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Woohoo! (rubs hands together)
Old 03-03-2022, 05:04 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by DivingorDriving
Woohoo! (rubs hands together)

Going to be a sleepless night for sure!

New Wheels Soon!

Those Wide Hips are Intoxicating!

Won't Be Stock for Long.

See You in the Morning! Let's Go!
Old 03-05-2022, 11:33 AM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Sooooo...has the car not arrived yet? I keep looking for your announcement.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:36 PM
Ryans Rebel
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 60 Posts

You should know better......he's out driving it. Won't hear from him for a few days.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:14 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Congrats on the aerokit turbo! Those are great mods to start with along with a stage 2 custom tune on Cobb. Lots of great tuners here on the platform. I pretty much did the same thing on my 997.2 TTS. Pic below of refinished RS wheels and black centerlocks. I had wheels powdercoated in "shredded Silver" finish.

RockyTop (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 07:29 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Yes, it's here! Honestly, I think I've just been speechless because this thing is a B E A S T!

I'm sorry for the delay guys it's been a little crazy here. I have a lawn care company and the sun came out this week. My phone started going crazy which is a good thing. Although, I wasn't quite ready for the madness since I've been enjoying hibernation mode. .

The power of the 997.2 Turbo is something to behold and I'll leave it at that. Truly an epic piece of machinery that I'm super blessed to have in my garage!

I have several mod parts in the garage ready to go on. I did my first mod this afternoon which is a must have if you want wireless charging. I'll detail it below. I really wanted to tear into the Europipe, Cobb AP and DSC, but I have some family commitments over the next couple days. I keep telling myself it's a marathon not a sprint. I have two teenagers so anytime they want to spend time with Dad I'm all about it. Family first. They will be off to college before too long so I'm soaking up every minute.

The first photo was 30 minutes after unloading it off the truck. Ignore the dust and dirt on the car in that photo. So, I drove over to my parents (both 80) which I always do anytime I get a new vehicle. Of course, they raved on and on and said they loved it. They would say that if I pulled up in a Yugo. . The next two photos was after a quick wash. I couldn't believe just how good the condition of the paint is for a 12 year old car.

The next three photos are from this morning. I moved the car out of the garage to install the Rennline wireless charging car mount and enjoy the sunny weather . The Rennline is a "must-have" in my book. It was my first time using this setup and I'm impressed. I think having the correct Magsafe case is key to making this setup work too.
I'm short on time today, but I'll edit this post later and add some product links. PM me with any questions. I also have a wireless Aux to USB Bluetooth 5.0 transmitter coming from Amazon tomorrow for my wireless music. Please ignore the power cord from the mount going back towards the console. I was just testing the charger / function. I will run the wire to the footwell outlet this week which will make it a little more "tidy."

So, while I'm out in the driveway working on the Rennline mount I hear this thunderous crash in my garage. Just take a look at the photo and you'll see. My wife came running downstairs to make sure I was okay. Note to self, don't leave three loaded tool drawers open at the same time. Fortunately, only one drawer glide got busted and a little of my pride. . Ten minutes later and we had the tool box back together. After the excitement I then proceed to go back outside, sit in my carport and just admire this piece of art. Stay tuned...

At the parent's house.

All cleaned up. Wow, the paint is fantastic for a 12 year old vehicle.

I'm not crazy about the RS Spyder wheels and the terrible offset. Unfortunately, no easy fix for Center Locks. New BC Forged wheels should be here in six weeks.

Rennline Wireless Car Mount Install - Easy two banana job.

Y I K E S!

Rennline Wireless Charging Car Mount. I really like this set up.

Just chilling and admiring the scenery. Check out the reflection of my car wash buckets.

Thanks for following along!
Jim
RockyTop

Old 03-05-2022, 07:30 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cnair
Congrats on the aerokit turbo! Those are great mods to start with along with a stage 2 custom tune on Cobb. Lots of great tuners here on the platform. I pretty much did the same thing on my 997.2 TTS. Pic below of refinished RS wheels and black centerlocks. I had wheels powdercoated in "shredded Silver" finish.

That looks great!

Did you tint your taillights too? If so what are your thoughts? I think it looks good. Are those LED Side Markers or regular bulbs?

Last edited by RockyTop; 03-05-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:32 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ryans Rebel
You should know better......he's out driving it. Won't hear from him for a few days.
Man, I wish I could be out driving this work-of-art! See my post above that explains my absence. The little chance I've had to drive the past two days has me speechless. Truly epic!

Quick Reply: Jim's "RockyTop" 997.2 Build Thread