Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim's "RockyTop" 997.2 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 07:37 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

Anyone have a favorite Led Clear Side-marker brand they like? If so, please post up the source. If you want to post how it looks on your 997 that's even better - especially black. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:33 AM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTop
That looks great!

Did you tint your taillights too? If so what are your thoughts? I think it looks good. Are those LED Side Markers or regular bulbs?
The previous owner had a paint shop and painted the tail lights. I thought it looked good too and left it like it was. The side markers are clear OEM side markers.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:03 AM
RockyTop
Instructor

Thanks @Cnair
Old 03-07-2022, 12:05 AM
RockyTop
Instructor

Installed a USB to AUX Bluetooth 5.0 transmitter / dongle tonight. My phone connected on the first try. I was listening to tunes in the garage in under five minutes. Honestly, I'm amazed just how good a twelve year old Bose system sounds. I'm not a huge Bose fan at all, but I'm impressed. With the Rennline Wireless charging mount and this dongle I'm set.

Here's a link to the Bluetooth dongle -
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-08-2022, 05:14 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

It's been a great day!

1. Wheel order placed.
2. Clear LED side-marker lights order placed.
3. Europipe install scheduled for next week.
4. Installing DSC and Cobb OTC tune tomorrow evening.
5. Lined up @SamboTT@ByDesign to do a custom tune in the very near future.
6. Clay, paint correction, polish & wax planned for this weekend (weather permitting).

Let's go!
The following 2 users liked this post by RockyTop:
Cnair (03-12-2022), signde (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:36 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 124 Posts

Congratulations again! It's a very exciting time for you. I think you'll love that Europipe sound. I guess you'll be installing some new MAP sensors with your tune as well, to add to your list. While the exhaust is off, you might change the plugs and coils, as the labor will be trivial. I did the plugs when I installed my Europipe, but not the coils, and then had to have it torn down again when a coil failed. Get them all replaced while it's open and be done with that, is my recommendation. Also, not sure if your car has paint protection film, but I would highly recommend that, too, once you get that finish looking fantastic this weekend. Most of all: ENJOY!
Old 03-08-2022, 09:57 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by DivingorDriving
Congratulations again! It's a very exciting time for you. I think you'll love that Europipe sound. I guess you'll be installing some new MAP sensors with your tune as well, to add to your list. While the exhaust is off, you might change the plugs and coils, as the labor will be trivial. I did the plugs when I installed my Europipe, but not the coils, and then had to have it torn down again when a coil failed. Get them all replaced while it's open and be done with that, is my recommendation. Also, not sure if your car has paint protection film, but I would highly recommend that, too, once you get that finish looking fantastic this weekend. Most of all: ENJOY!
Thanks @DivingorDriving for the recommendation about the coils and plugs. I'll definitely add that to the list since I'm approaching 40K miles. Great idea!

I haven't thought about or researched the MAP sensors yet. I was going to do the stock Cobb tune first with 93 Octane file then see what Sam wants to do next. Yes, I'm very excited to hear the Europipe sound in person. It's hard to find Europipe videos for the 997.2 that are quality. I'm confident it has to sound ten times better than stock. Once paint correction is done I plan to PPF and possibly tint the windows. Any recommendations for tint and PPF brands?
Old 03-09-2022, 01:28 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Welcome to the club. Your car is nearly identical to mine. I agree on the stock wheels not quite looking right. Previous owner had picked up some GT3RS wheels, which definitely solves the offset issue. This is with Eibachs. I love the look, but even being super careful on which driveways I choose and going for the best possible angle, the front lip takes a beating. At least black touch-up paint is east to come by!

The following 2 users liked this post by jayzbird:
Frank Abe (03-24-2022), RockyTop (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 07:22 AM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes, Sam will advise on MAP sensors, I reckon. When Kevin tuned my car remotely, he sent me the MAP sensors he wanted installed. (It was he who recommended doing the plugs while changing the exhaust as well.)

Don't have much comparative information on PPFs, but I chose to do a full wrap in Expel and a ceramic coat over it. It was expensive, but it's my forever car, and black, with the sloping front end, so I didn't spare any expense for the protection. Cleaning the car has been ridiculously simple as well.

I chose not to do any tinting. The shop that did the film was pretty incredulous that I didn't want a tint, too, but I think it looks nice without, and I like to see the red belts . Of course, I like a blacked-out look also, so I'm sure it'll look fantastic if you choose that aesthetic for your black car.

I also like the black Zunnsport grill meshes on a black 997:

Old 03-09-2022, 09:35 AM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTop
Thanks @DivingorDriving for the recommendation about the coils and plugs. I'll definitely add that to the list since I'm approaching 40K miles. Great idea!

I haven't thought about or researched the MAP sensors yet. I was going to do the stock Cobb tune first with 93 Octane file then see what Sam wants to do next. Yes, I'm very excited to hear the Europipe sound in person. It's hard to find Europipe videos for the 997.2 that are quality. I'm confident it has to sound ten times better than stock. Once paint correction is done I plan to PPF and possibly tint the windows. Any recommendations for tint and PPF brands?
Buy the installer, not the tint/PPF/ceramic coat brand. The chances of you being able to tell the difference between brands is nearly zero. The big names are all of similar quality. However, you can *definitely* tell the difference between the work of a master installer and someone that is just so so. It doesn't matter what the brand is, if the installer is no good, neither will the finished product be. Once you find a good installer, the chances of them using a substandard product are near zero.
The following users liked this post:
DivingorDriving (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 09:46 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I chose not to do any tinting. The shop that did the film was pretty incredulous that I didn't want a tint, too, but I think it looks nice without, and I like to see the red belts . Of course, I like a blacked-out look also, so I'm sure it'll look fantastic if you choose that aesthetic for your black car.
I feel the same way about my car, but in the TX sun, as you know, things take a pounding.

I'm planning on getting XPel 70%. I have it on the windshield of my daily and you can't tell there's any tint. That way I'll have heat and UV protection but still be able to see into the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
DivingorDriving (03-09-2022), RockyTop (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 08:12 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

As many of you can relate, my day didn't go as planned so the DSC and Cobb mods will not happen tonight.

However, this did happen today. Let the wait begin...

Old 03-09-2022, 08:14 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Welcome to the club. Your car is nearly identical to mine. I agree on the stock wheels not quite looking right. Previous owner had picked up some GT3RS wheels, which definitely solves the offset issue. This is with Eibachs. I love the look, but even being super careful on which driveways I choose and going for the best possible angle, the front lip takes a beating. At least black touch-up paint is east to come by!

Your Turbo looks fantastic @jayzbird !

Which exhaust and tips are you running?

Last edited by RockyTop; 03-09-2022 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:26 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Yes, Sam will advise on MAP sensors, I reckon. When Kevin tuned my car remotely, he sent me the MAP sensors he wanted installed. (It was he who recommended doing the plugs while changing the exhaust as well.)

Don't have much comparative information on PPFs, but I chose to do a full wrap in Expel and a ceramic coat over it. It was expensive, but it's my forever car, and black, with the sloping front end, so I didn't spare any expense for the protection. Cleaning the car has been ridiculously simple as well.

I also like the black Zunnsport grill meshes on a black 997:
Thanks for the info @DivingorDriving . I'll definitely discuss the sensors with Sam.

I'm leaning towards the Expel too, but need to research detailer's in Knoxville. If anyone has a shop recommendation please chime in. I'm with you, unless I find a deal on a manual in black this will be my forever car as well. I would love to trade for a manual, but they are appreciating so much and it doesn't appear they are coming back down in price. Ironically, I was contacted today about a manual that may be going on the market, but I'm not sure it's even a viable option for me at this point. The PDK is stout, quicker and growing on me the more I have seat time. Unfortunately, I've not had much seat time since Friday's delivery. I've always driven manuals so we will see.

Thanks for the Zunnsport reminder. I need to get those on order within the next week. Did you check Radiator Grill at all? I used them on my Cayman and the fit was perfect, although that was just for the intakes since my GT4 grill had front screens already. I'll do some research.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:27 PM
RockyTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by vman932
Buy the installer, not the tint/PPF/ceramic coat brand. The chances of you being able to tell the difference between brands is nearly zero. The big names are all of similar quality. However, you can *definitely* tell the difference between the work of a master installer and someone that is just so so. It doesn't matter what the brand is, if the installer is no good, neither will the finished product be. Once you find a good installer, the chances of them using a substandard product are near zero.
Great advice! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Jim's "RockyTop" 997.2 Build Thread