Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Engine Drop - big list of To Do's

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:16 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 258 Likes on 185 Posts

Did you reuse the fittings or purchase new ones?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Cleaned up and re-used.

Ed
Old 09-10-2019, 12:47 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Reusing here as well. Yes Ed, aware of that thanks, Ive done 5 now so I will just have to keep going at it a little at a time, hopefully they will free up!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:06 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

At least the smaller block is only $220 worst case scenario but I sure as hell want to get them out in tact. Its one of those jobs, once you start, you cant not complete it as the epoxy is probably cooked!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:34 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Yep, you have more material, therefore more heat sink on those two, which may be an issue getting the inside edges to release.

Ed
Old 09-11-2019, 09:20 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by lliejk
Yep, you have more material, therefore more heat sink on those two, which may be an issue getting the inside edges to release.

Ed
Well I got those out , down to the last one on the top manifold U shape piece where the PS pump sits over. Did you unbolt this from the main cast piece? I cant find it on parts diagram to see if it is joined with anything other than the bolts? Thinking of removing the huge heatsink bit with the pulleys on, can anyone confirm its a simple unbolt as I did that and its stuck together. Do I need to rubber mallet it!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

If i remember correctky just the bolts. I removed mine to make it easier.

Looking at the KAT it definitely should be just those bolts.

Ed
Old 09-11-2019, 10:08 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by lliejk
If i remember correctky just the bolts. I removed mine to make it easier.

Looking at the KAT it definitely should be just those bolts.

Ed

THanks Ed, will do that again after work then, As soon as these last bits are bonded in I can make a start on rebuilding the beast. Still trying to find one slim coil pack for cyl 6 ! They dont make it easy thats for sure, I never had to get different sized coilpacks for a car before
Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

It's not that big of a deal to shave down the screw and the plastic enough to clear the actuator. That;s what I did.There is a pic above in the posts somewhere toward the end.

Ed
Old 09-13-2019, 02:20 PM
Straightedge
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:33 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Wanted to give everyone an update, other than a TPMs sensor going whacky, the tires needing balancing and my creak NOT solved by new Tarrett drop links (my guess is LCA's now since I have added a top bearing to the shocks, replaced the sway and lubed the bushings and now have done the drop links), the car has been running very well. The weird thing about the creak is that it "seemed" to disappear when I disconnected the drop links on an earlier test. I will have to do some more digging. I may go to the GT3 LCA's anyway.

Took it on the first WOT run up to 100 yesterday, and it pulled nicely through the gears. I am really liking the Kline, like I mentioned before, it's tone compliments the engine sounds and gives it a nice rumble and a strong roar when at WOT without overdoing it. Absolutely no drone.

Anyway, I am happy to close this chapter of car repair, now on to my 95.5 Audi UrS6 to give it some serious attention. By the way, it's major issue is, you guessed it, a Power Steering fluid leak, though this is to the brake bomb to help power assist the brakes. Quite the strange arrangement, and another example of Germans using the PS Pump for more than just the PS.

The rest will be lower door blades, fix the air driven locking system (usually little boots that have given up), take car of a little rust (imagine that after only 24 years in the North East), refresh the suspension up front (the rear will have to wait) and confirm an oil leak (I think it is the crank pulley seal). So not as much work as the 997, but I will be at this for a couple of months. I need to get it done before winter hits, since this is my DD and is a bad *** in the snow (with snow tires).

Ed
Old 09-17-2019, 01:35 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 259 Posts

Great to hear Ed! Mmmm those Ur's are a hoot in the snow!
Old 09-21-2019, 03:15 AM
TT.BRN
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Good job Ed, nice to see that slave finally put to use ....

Might be worth your while to check/swap the oil filter after a few drives, silicon from the cam cover almost always gets into the oil ...

Good luck and happy driving
Old 09-21-2019, 10:15 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Yep, I pulled it at 100 and found some Hylomar in there that I removed manually (I must have used it on connections that were purely oil. I think Kevin also recommended changing the oil at 500 to get rid of any build debris, which I will also do (along with the filter).

One disappointment has been the creak in the suspension. I thought I had it linked (no pun intended) to the drop links since it seemed to go away when I pulled them from the sway, but it's back and sounds the same. My feeling is LCA's (and maybe the A arms or bushings). .I have been able to find bushings I could press in to suspension components on the Audis, so hopefully I can find the same for the 997. I am trying to source some GT3 LCA's rather than the stock 997 ones since the suspension as been changed to coilovers and is dropped.

I will probably just deal with the embarrassing noise until the winter hits and do this along with the correct sleeves for the bump steer kit that just arrived then go for the alignment when all is done.

The good thing is the engine is purring, the Kline sounds good and I am driving it again!

Ed
Old 09-27-2019, 11:01 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Probably my last entry for this thread, unless someone asks a question.

The car has been running very well. To recap the major tasks and my feelings about them:

1. Pinning Cams - piece of mind
2. Pinning Coolant fittings - more piece of mind
3. Replacing (almost) every rubber hose and O ring in the cooling/oiling systems - even more piece of mind
4. Replacing Plastic elbows with metal - more more more piece of mind
5. Upgrading to the GT2 clutch (the reservoir was a PITA) - oh my God, why did they ever put that unnecessarily complicated setup in the car? I am now in complete control in any circumstance and it feels great.
6. GMG Sways - holy cow, what a difference, especially in how the rear hooks up and stays planted through the turns - highly recommended suspension upgrade, even if you just improve the rear bar

Along with the other things done, I no longer worry about getting in the car and running it the way I want to. Even something as simple as uninstall the carpet retainers had an impact. I need to deal with the creak and the bump steer kit, along with the wing, but my hope is that when that is done all I need to handle is the paint correction and some kind of protection and I will have done everything I can to assure I have a vehicle I can drive for life. I am still figuring out how to stuff a collapsible spare into the frunk for that last bit of confidence on long drives, but I do have a bottle of tire sealer and hole plug kit in the car as an extra bit of security.

Probably the most significant thing you guys can take away from this is that given a few special tools (in my case a Quickjack, platform lift and access to the timing tool), anyone with any wrenching skills can take on these projects and save tens of thousands of dollars (admittedly spending about $6K along the way), not too mention the sense of satisfaction of accomplishment and the smile you can give yourself every time you fire up the engine.

Talk to you later,

Ed
The following 2 users liked this post by lliejk:
David Borden (02-25-2023), jayi836 (09-27-2019)

Quick Reply: 997.1 Engine Drop - big list of To Do's