Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:28 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
Somewhere else. Every car that I've had go RNM on BaT has found a buyer at my needed price somewhere else, with the rare exception of a couple very obscure vehicles.

BaT is a wonderful venue. But they are very weak in certain types of vehicles, and the 997 GT3/RS is one of those. In the last year they have had a 30% sell rate on BaT, which is less than half of the site average. I listed two which did not even get within spitting distance of wholesale value (real, not theoretical/wishful).
In December 2017, I bought a 997 GT3 on BaT and sold it in less than a month for 10% more elsewhere.

It's the age old market discussion. The buyers say the sky is falling. The sellers say it's a bull market. The truth is somewhere in between, and to get a real picture of the market we have to consider data points which benefit both sides. It seems like every time a discussion like this comes up, it's the buyers picking the examples that benefit them the most, even though MOST people don't want the cars in the bottom 10% of the spectrum, and for good reason. Sure, you can get some scores in that bunch, but it's risky, and more often than not you get burned.
The other reason that BAT sales have a 30% success rate for GT3's is that most people in their right mind will not buy a GT3 without a thorough PPI and not seeing/driving the car.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:29 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by motopt22
BAT also has new competition in the Porsche marketplace. https://www.pcarmarket.com

I believe this site just went live this week, and I if successful will no doubt take BAT business on Porsche cars.
There's been more than a few that have tried to duplicate BAT's fairly simple model, but without eyeballs, they just end up with no-sale after no-sale...
Old 03-06-2019, 12:15 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
The other reason that BAT sales have a 30% success rate for GT3's is that most people in their right mind will not buy a GT3 without a thorough PPI and not seeing/driving the car.
THIS!
Secondly, I think there's some ethnocentric bias in assuming BAT's audience. Time is the only resource we can't hoard. And I'd gather that the audience/market of buyers of a $100k toy find the time value of money is better spent with an expert doing the job for them (i.e. Doug) than spending time reading through comments on an internet auction site, spending time flying to wherever a car is to do a PPI (or spending time to find someone local to do it for them). That decreases the market size and the willing buying price from a site like BAT for this category of product.
And this is different from a GT3 on a dealer lot that may require the same time investment, because, in BAT's case, there is a known time restriction on the market. A car on a dealer lot has an undefined time in market.

BAT also has new competition in the Porsche marketplace. https://www.pcarmarket.com

I believe this site just went live this week, and I if successful will no doubt take BAT business on Porsche cars.
I'm surprised these guys haven't become sponsors here yet considering the audience. Auctions live and die by being able to create a market. They'd better step up the advertising/marketing game.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:39 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 103 Posts

Did the creators of BaT branch off and make this website? Because it is a blatant copy of BaT. Insane.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:05 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FastAlpine
Did the creators of BaT branch off and make this website? Because it is a blatant copy of BaT. Insane.
Incredulous, hypothetical question i realize but the answer is no. And this site lacks a lot of the useful functionality of BaT. Moreover, the email marketing is horrendous. Broken links, missing links. wonky format. BaT already exists and has for some time and they couldn't even replicate its functionality much less emulate it prior to launch. That does not bode well for their success. this company needs to hire a better UX/UI team and marketing team pronto. my guess is it was created by people who know the auction world and have connections to get cars on the site but they know jack all about web marketing and ecomm.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:06 PM
stussy1616
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJN
Agree with this 100%.

I personally would only buy a car from BAT if I felt my risk was covered with the price, which would inevitably lead to well below market price on a car like a GT3.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

BAT in its original roots was about finding cool/unusual project cars for sale through all sorts of venues, but it certainly has morphed more into a tool for more expensive/exotic stuff.

Nothing wrong with that per-se, but for those types of cars, I *absolutely* want to put my own eyes on it before pulling the trigger.

It irritates the hell out of me that there is no way to see the location of cars without drilling down on each and every one... And with nearly 200 cars at auction on any given time period, what a PITA. Yup, I'll drill down on the four or five specific cars I know I'd be interested in, but I would absolutely consider an opportunity buy of some other cool car *if and only if it was within say 120 miles*.

It would be absolutely trivial for them to list the state the car is in in the summary, or provide an overview auction map showing all of the cars up for sale, but I guess at a 5% buyers premium with about 35 cars a day (Quick guess, $12M+/yr in buyers premiums with ridiculously low operational cost? ), there probably isn't much motivation on their part to "improve".

Also no surprise others are trying to duplicate the model...
Old 03-07-2019, 01:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Somewhere else. Every car that I've had go RNM on BaT has found a buyer at my needed price somewhere else, with the rare exception of a couple very obscure vehicles.

BaT is a wonderful venue. But they are very weak in certain types of vehicles, and the 997 GT3/RS is one of those. In the last year they have had a 30% sell rate on BaT, which is less than half of the site average. I listed two which did not even get within spitting distance of wholesale value (real, not theoretical/wishful).
In December 2017, I bought a 997 GT3 on BaT and sold it in less than a month for 10% more elsewhere.

It's the age old market discussion. The buyers say the sky is falling. The sellers say it's a bull market. The truth is somewhere in between, and to get a real picture of the market we have to consider data points which benefit both sides. It seems like every time a discussion like this comes up, it's the buyers picking the examples that benefit them the most, even though MOST people don't want the cars in the bottom 10% of the spectrum, and for good reason. Sure, you can get some scores in that bunch, but it's risky, and more often than not you get burned.
some ppl like to follow the mkt and buy the mkt
for stuff like toilet paper I do that.
for stuff that I LOVE and not NECESSITY. it's about passion.
if I like it, and I can afford it, I don't really care what the mkt is. and most of the cars I kept were bought at significantly higher than mkt
if I don't like something I just cut it out and sell at whatever I can get.
life is way too short to constantly justify every little thing..
but for now, Costco has charmin on sale. it's Lower than market, I am there with my dully and 42' trailer. I will empty them out
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Well said guys. Thank you for providing excellent perspective....

Originally Posted by Kg11
If the car isn't worth more on BAT, where is it going to find a buyer at a higher price?

Originally Posted by nwGTS

Originally Posted by DJN
THIS!
Secondly, I think there's some ethnocentric bias in assuming BAT's audience. Time is the only resource we can't hoard. And I'd gather that the audience/market of buyers of a $100k toy find the time value of money is better spent with an expert doing the job for them (i.e. Doug) than spending time reading through comments on an internet auction site, spending time flying to wherever a car is to do a PPI (or spending time to find someone local to do it for them). That decreases the market size and the willing buying price from a site like BAT for this category of product.
And this is different from a GT3 on a dealer lot that may require the same time investment, because, in BAT's case, there is a known time restriction on the market. A car on a dealer lot has an undefined time in market.
... and of course HILARIOUS as usual,... and SPOT ON as is typical of Mooty's posts...

Originally Posted by mooty
if I like it, and I can afford it, I don't really care what the mkt is. and most of the cars I kept were bought at significantly higher than mkt
but for now, Costco has charmin on sale. it's Lower than market, I am there with my dully and 42' trailer. I will empty them out
Btw, pcarmarket.com seems to have been built by the CollectorCarShowcase guys up on Long Island. For over 6 months, I've seen them heavily marketing pcarmarket on their Instagram.

Over just the last 6 months, in the 964 market on BaT, we've also seen a huge degradation on the quality of their listings. Crap everything. bad cars, terrible pictures, poor descriptions, and sellers who are completely ABSENT from commenting & answering questions on the cars they are selling. IMO these auction sites are quickly dying. The cars left to sell & buy are the bottom of the quality spectrum. As said above (thnx pfbz), most of us true enthusiasts will not participate in those auctions,.. but rather put our eyes, ears, drive / crawl around the cars we buy, and use the experts with the KNOWN clientele such as Doug, Mooty & Cobalt (Anthony, guru of all cars 964).

My .02
=Steve
Old 03-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 81 Posts

I love you Mooty
Old 03-07-2019, 11:05 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Well said Mooty, I agree 100%
Old 03-07-2019, 12:14 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

that’s a wonderful position to be in but the VAST majority of buyers don’t have this luxury and can’t take the position that buying/owning a GT3 as a ‘little thing’.
Uncertainty and all that.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:57 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

that’s a wonderful position to be in but the VAST majority of buyers don’t have this luxury and can’t take the position that buying/owning a GT3 as a ‘little thing’.
I had to sell two cars and a H-D motorcycle to fund my GT3 six years ago but it was definitely worth the sacrifice then - and still is.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:58 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

agree.

perspectives I guess.

i think the “Mooty way” with motorbikes though.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Speaking of BaT, nice 7.1 RS listed by a rennlister:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...sche-gt3-rs-9/

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...