Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:53 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

In regard to BAT, my feeling is buyers think it’s like a street price and the most accurate way to asses a cars REAL value because their buyers. Sellers don’t agree and say great/clean examples from private parties and collections are better cars and worth more. The best cars certainly don’t end up on BAT? Any thoughts Doug?

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 09-12-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:19 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes and no. You have to remember it’s an auction. I’m sure you paid some attention to this years Monterey consortium. The outcome was significantly lower with fewer bids and equal amount of no-sells. Why is BAT any different? It isn’t. In fact, it’s far more opportunistic to those not willing to register bidder association fees and the auction lasts SEVEN days.

Regarding buying something? It all comes down to what a buyer is willing to pay with minimal oversight. You mentioned not knowing the seller. This! You’re placing a significant premium on said vehicle. Well... There you have the valuation right there that most bidding “assume” into the cost of whatever they’re buying.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sword_of_the_Spirit:
lcrain (09-12-2019), pissedpuppy (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 01:44 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Yes and no. You have to remember it’s an auction. I’m sure you paid some attention to this years Monterey consortium. The outcome was significantly lower with fewer bids and equal amount of no-sells. Why is BAT any different? It isn’t. In fact, it’s far more opportunistic to those not willing to register bidder association fees and the auction lasts SEVEN days.

Regarding buying something? It all comes down to what a buyer is willing to pay with minimal oversight. You mentioned not knowing the seller. This! You’re placing a significant premium on said vehicle. Well... There you have the valuation right there that most bidding “assume” into the cost of whatever they’re buying.
Isn’t the lower retails more a reflection of the overall downturn in the market in general? Great examples still bring more than poor examples. It’s all relative. I think you are right on about monetizing the risk on BAT.

But a seller with a great GT collection who wants to chisel off two of his best 7.1RS’s isn’t going to list them on BAT to save fees is he?
Old 09-12-2019, 03:17 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
But a seller with a great GT collection who wants to chisel off two of his best 7.1RS’s isn’t going to list them on BAT to save fees is he?
Why not? Because he'd rather burden his net proceeds with total 20-30% commission paid by him and the buyer to the auction house vs flat $5k paid by the buyer at BaT? There have been many cars chiseled off of collections at BaT. Buyers have seven days to do their due diligence (30 days for BaT premium listings). I never understood why someone would look down on BaT as some place for second rate cars with "stories". It's a place where cash meets cars, just like any other, except with features and commissions that are decimating the old-school auction market.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

My take on BAT is that there are some cars that are going to be the best of the best and some cars with problems. Just like if you walk down to your local dealers used car section you may get a good car or you may get a bad car. However, I couldn’t buy a car without myself or someone I really trusted (like Switchcars) putting eyes on it for me and doing a thorough look over. BAT has such a wide variety of sellers. Some that won’t post a DME (see orange .2 GT3) and some that have hundreds of pictures with DME, paint meter, every imperfection etc. Then on top of that, there are only so many people that know about BAT. All of us in the enthusiast community do, but if you have just wanted a GT3 for many years and want a prime example and aren’t someone that is truly involved in the community, you will probably be more interested in paying someone like Doug to find a car for you and continue to live your busy life, making money at work and spending time with your family.

I think that directionally, you can look at BAT and see where the market is going. For instance, if 5 years ago, 10 GT3’s all sold for $100k and now they are all selling for $90k, you can make a decent guess that the market has softened. But let’s say this car has a reserve of $88k and someone bids to that, I can’t say that a GT3 like that is actually worth $88k. Even at $92k with buyers premium. It may be worth more it may be worth less. But I would trust Doug’s assessment on the market more as far as an actual fair selling price or what is happening in general. I know a month or so ago, he gave mileage ranges and prices that these cars should be going for.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 530 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Yes and no. You have to remember it’s an auction. I’m sure you paid some attention to this years Monterey consortium. The outcome was significantly lower with fewer bids and equal amount of no-sells.
Monterey 19 down 35% from Monterey 18 sales.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
Why not? Because he'd rather burden his net proceeds with total 20-30% commission paid by him and the buyer to the auction house vs flat $5k paid by the buyer at BaT? There have been many cars chiseled off of collections at BaT. Buyers have seven days to do their due diligence (30 days for BaT premium listings). I never understood why someone would look down on BaT as some place for second rate cars with "stories". It's a place where cash meets cars, just like any other, except with features and commissions that are decimating the old-school auction market.
Sounds like you used to auction cars? I’m not against BAT at all and it certainly serves it’s purpose. Simply saying the best cars most likely never hit the market much less BAT. I’m sure there are exceptions though..
Old 09-12-2019, 10:25 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
My take on BAT is that there are some cars that are going to be the best of the best and some cars with problems. Just like if you walk down to your local dealers used car section you may get a good car or you may get a bad car. However, I couldn’t buy a car without myself or someone I really trusted (like Switchcars) putting eyes on it for me and doing a thorough look over. BAT has such a wide variety of sellers. Some that won’t post a DME (see orange .2 GT3) and some that have hundreds of pictures with DME, paint meter, every imperfection etc. Then on top of that, there are only so many people that know about BAT. All of us in the enthusiast community do, but if you have just wanted a GT3 for many years and want a prime example and aren’t someone that is truly involved in the community, you will probably be more interested in paying someone like Doug to find a car for you and continue to live your busy life, making money at work and spending time with your family.

I think that directionally, you can look at BAT and see where the market is going. For instance, if 5 years ago, 10 GT3’s all sold for $100k and now they are all selling for $90k, you can make a decent guess that the market has softened. But let’s say this car has a reserve of $88k and someone bids to that, I can’t say that a GT3 like that is actually worth $88k. Even at $92k with buyers premium. It may be worth more it may be worth less. But I would trust Doug’s assessment on the market more as far as an actual fair selling price or what is happening in general. I know a month or so ago, he gave mileage ranges and prices that these cars should be going for.
BaT and Doug do not exclude, but complement each other. As a source of market prints (actual sale or highest bid prices) it is as good as any other. If BaT prices were consistently “too low” vs “the market” that would be quickly arbitraged out by buyers or profit-seeking traders, or sellers would stop selling there.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

BaT is A market, not THE market. It is quickly become an authoritative market, but every data point must be taken within the whole, and not all data points are legitimate, including some at the big auction houses.

Every car of mine that has not met reserve on BaT has sold for higher elsewhere, with some effort. I've sold some there for what I felt to be above market, and some for what I felt to be below market. I've bought a few on there that went for wholesale and resold them elsewhere. The red 997.1 GT3 that sold on BaT last week was indeed purchased by a dealer/reseller.
To know the market fully requires an intimate knowledge of WHY something sold for the price it did. Great example is that PTS Orange one on BaT. Buyers could use that data point to say that the market is crashing, but we all know that it was terribly represented. There are many of these hidden stories with cars at the big name auctions as well, and those stories don't get discussed on a public forum, the cars just sell for low dollars or don't sell at all.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by switchcars
BaT is A market, not THE market. It is quickly become an authoritative market, but every data point must be taken within the whole, and not all data points are legitimate, including some at the big auction houses.

Every car of mine that has not met reserve on BaT has sold for higher elsewhere, with some effort. I've sold some there for what I felt to be above market, and some for what I felt to be below market. I've bought a few on there that went for wholesale and resold them elsewhere. The red 997.1 GT3 that sold on BaT last week was indeed purchased by a dealer/reseller.
To know the market fully requires an intimate knowledge of WHY something sold for the price it did. Great example is that PTS Orange one on BaT. Buyers could use that data point to say that the market is crashing, but we all know that it was terribly represented. There are many of these hidden stories with cars at the big name auctions as well, and those stories don't get discussed on a public forum, the cars just sell for low dollars or don't sell at all.
Thats an accurate and somewhat sobering assessment. In the end know your stuff or someone who knows their stuff and buyer beware...

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 09-12-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:14 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
I recently sold my 360 Modena on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...360-modena-13/

I was a pretty painless process as compared with personally selling on; special interest sites, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc.
I thought answering peoples questions would be a PITA, but I did a thorough job of representing the car in advance and only got 3 - 4 legitimate questions throughout the process.

Since the car was a high-miler, I doubt I could have done much better $$$ on another site.

Cheers

Craig

Last edited by cgfen; 09-12-2019 at 07:08 PM. Reason: removed 6 GT3 comment
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Adair (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
I may put my current 6 GT3 up also, but not sure.
Curious why you think that replacing your 996 gt3 with a 997 is a good idea. Your sig mentions you're looking for a 07/08 gt3.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
In regard to BAT, my feeling is buyers think it’s like a street price and the most accurate way to asses a cars REAL value because their buyers. Sellers don’t agree and say great/clean examples from private parties and collections are better cars and worth more. The best cars certainly don’t end up on BAT? Any thoughts Doug?
Unless the car and or broker/seller is known to you BAT is as good or maybe better than anything else. I don't trust the auction houses. And I think people are sick of them inflating prices and controlling the market. Social media and communications has made it easy for the big collectors to know who has what and contact them either through the high end brokers or directly. In addition, the web based world moves faster than planned auctions for some future date. BAT is a good barometer of the current market.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Curious why you think that replacing your 996 gt3 with a 997 is a good idea. Your sig mentions you're looking for a 07/08 gt3.
Considering it for aesthetic reasons only.
I know a 7.1 isn't really any "better".
Old 09-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Suitcase
Unless the car and or broker/seller is known to you BAT is as good or maybe better than anything else. I don't trust the auction houses. And I think people are sick of them inflating prices and controlling the market. Social media and communications has made it easy for the big collectors to know who has what and contact them either through the high end brokers or directly. In addition, the web based world moves faster than planned auctions for some future date. BAT is a good barometer of the current market.
Well stated. Enjoying this thread...

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...