Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,103 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
This one's on the house. Guy who bought it from me did track it a fair amount, maintained it impeccably at Steinel's Autowerks, but it does have repaired damage from hitting a tire wall.
Ugh, and this is why I always recommend asking Doug about these things. You seem to have a way of knowing something about every GT3 out there. I know when you sold it, there was no paintwork, so I figured it would still be the same. Guess that is not the case. Thanks for coming through Doug!
Old 07-30-2019, 02:09 PM
kones
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to Pissedpuppy, Bxstr and Switchcars/Doug, and the Rennlist Community on the feedback and helping paint the history of this GT3. Switchcars has been a great discovery in this process, a new first stop!
Old 07-30-2019, 08:36 PM
JC-Trojan
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Ugh, and this is why I always recommend asking Doug about these things. You seem to have a way of knowing something about every GT3 out there. I know when you sold it, there was no paintwork, so I figured it would still be the same. Guess that is not the case. Thanks for coming through Doug!
Wow! Great find. Thank you all, particularly Doug.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

I see this over and over
sure you can buy a car online
maybe you get lucky
but there are only a few ppl who really know GT3/RS and Doug is one of those few.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:18 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

I’m sure that buffed right out with a bottle of nu finish and a baby diaper... and why is it Nu and not New?

Doug and Jon have taken good care of me for multiple transactions, I feel it’s worth it to spend a little and have expert opinions on these purchases
The following users liked this post:
switchcars (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by osu s2k
I’m sure that buffed right out with a bottle of nu finish and a baby diaper... and why is it Nu and not New?

Doug and Jon have taken good care of me for multiple transactions, I feel it’s worth it to spend a little and have expert opinions on these purchases
Agreed, both Doug and Jon are excellent people. Happy and thankful to live within a half hour of each of them for all of my car needs.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:31 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 304 Posts

It’s a Doug love fest. Mr. 997.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:49 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
This one's on the house. Guy who bought it from me did track it a fair amount, maintained it impeccably at Steinel's Autowerks, but it does have repaired damage from hitting a tire wall.
Is this type of damage scaring perspective owners?
It does not seem too bad to me...and if it has been maintained impeccably that's a plus...
The following 2 users liked this post by HDA:
pissedpuppy (07-31-2019), Robocop305 (01-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2019, 07:42 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Is this type of damage scaring perspective owners?
It does not seem too bad to me...and if it has been maintained impeccably that's a plus...
Yes, it would for me. First off, they are asking $80k for that car. It has extensive track use, the entire side of the car has been repainted with body work and it has 50k miles. Miles don’t bother me and if that was a car with light track use and 50k miles, $80k would be a fair selling price. But the issue comes into play that a clean 50k mile GT3 could be had for low to mid $80s. A clean 30k mile GT3 could be had for low $90s and the mintiest of GT3’s could be had for a bit under $100. We are talking .1’s. That car with that history is always going to be more difficult to sell than one of the cars I listed above without a story like that. My other concern would be suspension damage on a car like that. As it was catching the grass sliding off track, or as it went into the tire wall there could be underlying suspension damage. For those that this damage does not bother, this is a great car it appears and it is a great spec. But for me, I would want one with as few stories as possible.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:16 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Gotcha. What would a fair value be? 65k? Everything has a price...

i agree with you on “fewest stories possible” but sometimes I rather know the stories
Old 07-31-2019, 10:22 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Bxstr,

Ok, fair enough,... but it is not $80K, but rather a "asking" price of $76.9K, and not 50K miles, but actually 46.8K miles. Don't get me wrong, I agree with all your reasoning (especially the track miles & potential for even a slight twist in the frame that is being compensated for by an alignment), and this car would not be for me either,... but having said that I have to imagine that if the car could be bought for $70K,... this could be a price point that creates opportunity for someone out there.

... although I will add,.. that the devils advocate inside me also says that the market is still coming down,... and possibly waiting this car out a while longer could push it into the mid to high $60's.

... It'll sell. And just like all cars out there,... once the right buyer gets matched up with the right car....

plus I like the spec too. I've never seen the dash-panel BEHIND the gauges painted to match the car. That's pretty cool (esp since I like black gauges). The only thing this interior really needed as icing on the cake would be paint-to-match seat backs. I love mine & look at them (through the back windscreen) all the time. It really pushes the interior into the special category.
=S
Old 07-31-2019, 12:15 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

what impact would that tire wall victim have on a '73 RS????

honestly, just being curious
Old 07-31-2019, 12:34 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Bxstr,

Ok, fair enough,... but it is not $80K, but rather a "asking" price of $76.9K, and not 50K miles, but actually 46.8K miles. Don't get me wrong, I agree with all your reasoning (especially the track miles & potential for even a slight twist in the frame that is being compensated for by an alignment), and this car would not be for me either,... but having said that I have to imagine that if the car could be bought for $70K,... this could be a price point that creates opportunity for someone out there.

... although I will add,.. that the devils advocate inside me also says that the market is still coming down,... and possibly waiting this car out a while longer could push it into the mid to high $60's.

... It'll sell. And just like all cars out there,... once the right buyer gets matched up with the right car....

plus I like the spec too. I've never seen the dash-panel BEHIND the gauges painted to match the car. That's pretty cool (esp since I like black gauges). The only thing this interior really needed as icing on the cake would be paint-to-match seat backs. I love mine & look at them (through the back windscreen) all the time. It really pushes the interior into the special category.
=S
I clearly didn’t read the price right, maybe it was originally $79k, because that’s what I was referencing. It has been for sale for some time I think, so they may have lowered the price.

Low $70s, yes, scoop it up. You are talking about either a used 991.1 C2S or a GT3. I would take the GT3.

So I take back some of what I said. $70k vs $85-90k is a big difference. I hope someone gets it for low $70s and enjoys. Not sure if it would ever get into the $60s though. Dealer may not know the whole story on what happened. Someone could easily say the repaint was due to a scratch, etc.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:34 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 469 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Yes, it would for me. First off, they are asking $80k for that car. It has extensive track use, the entire side of the car has been repainted with body work and it has 50k miles. Miles don’t bother me and if that was a car with light track use and 50k miles, $80k would be a fair selling price. But the issue comes into play that a clean 50k mile GT3 could be had for low to mid $80s. A clean 30k mile GT3 could be had for low $90s and the mintiest of GT3’s could be had for a bit under $100. We are talking .1’s. That car with that history is always going to be more difficult to sell than one of the cars I listed above without a story like that. My other concern would be suspension damage on a car like that. As it was catching the grass sliding off track, or as it went into the tire wall there could be underlying suspension damage. For those that this damage does not bother, this is a great car it appears and it is a great spec. But for me, I would want one with as few stories as possible.
You're generous to the sellers in your market evaluation. The cleanest examples out there, with certain oddball color/low mileage exceptions, can be had in the 90s for <20k miles.
20k+ miles can be bought in the 80s. 50k miles are in the 70s. A storied high mileage car.....

Now don't get me wrong, this car was maintained and repaired right. There's a right price for everything, and the owner gave me a shot at buying the car back, but the discount I was applying for the mileage and damage repair was more than the competition, which didn't hurt my feelings at all. I'll save my money for the primo ones.

911Jetta (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 12:35 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Gotcha. What would a fair value be? 65k? Everything has a price...

i agree with you on “fewest stories possible” but sometimes I rather know the stories
$70k for me. BWESteve is right. You go in there and offer low $70s, that car is probably yours and that is one sweet car for low $70s. Drive and enjoy and probably never loose a dollar.
Robocop305 (01-31-2021)

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...