https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Previously discussed here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post19045262
The following users liked this post:
pdds (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 09:58 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

07 White RS with PCCBs. WP0AC29907S793257 Damage report on CarFax. 9501 miles. Engine casing bolts look a bit rusty. I always expect header bolts to look rusty, but typically the engine casing bolts stay clean unless driven in inclement weather. My guess is these are rusty just from living near the ocean its entire life. Also has grille mesh installed on it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-gt3-rs-23/

Last edited by Bxstr; 09-15-2024 at 10:01 AM.
pdds (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 10:12 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
07 White RS with PCCBs. WP0AC29907S793257 Damage report on CarFax. 9501 miles. Engine casing bolts look a bit rusty. I always expect header bolts to look rusty, but typically the engine casing bolts stay clean unless driven in inclement weather. My guess is these are rusty just from living near the ocean its entire life. Also has grille mesh installed on it.

Less pictures and even worse quality than the black .2 GT3 also currently on BaT. Probably taken by a phone. Good photos go a long way in an online auction and paying the fee to have a professional take them is definitely worth it. The seller not paying the few hundred bucks will likely cost them thousands. Not much mentioned on the damage noted by Carfax. Looks to be a minor rear end collision.
Old 09-15-2024 | 11:57 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Less pictures and even worse quality than the black .2 GT3 also currently on BaT. Probably taken by a phone. Good photos go a long way in an online auction and paying the fee to have a professional take them is definitely worth it. The seller not paying the few hundred bucks will likely cost them thousands. Not much mentioned on the damage noted by Carfax. Looks to be a minor rear end collision.
Agreed, pics are often what can sell a car. We've seen less than stellar cars with stellar pics sell for a premium simply because of presentation. With BAT specifically, I want the seller to point out flaws too. We're all very familiar with what a 997.1RS looks like, but I need to know the specific shortcomings of the example that is being shown. Not just beauty shots.

When my friend listed his Cayman R, we took over 300 photos, narrowed it down to 200 and I think that helped show exactly what the car was and make any buyer feel comfortable with the purchase. It would be hard for me to buy on a site like BAT because I need to know what I'm getting, with everything disclosed. But at least with proper photos, you can feel very comfortable with what you're getting.

This may be a great opportunity though for someone to scoop up a nice RS at a more reasonable price point between the lack of photos and the damage report.
Old 09-15-2024 | 02:07 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Agreed, pics are often what can sell a car. We've seen less than stellar cars with stellar pics sell for a premium simply because of presentation. With BAT specifically, I want the seller to point out flaws too. We're all very familiar with what a 997.1RS looks like, but I need to know the specific shortcomings of the example that is being shown. Not just beauty shots.

When my friend listed his Cayman R, we took over 300 photos, narrowed it down to 200 and I think that helped show exactly what the car was and make any buyer feel comfortable with the purchase. It would be hard for me to buy on a site like BAT because I need to know what I'm getting, with everything disclosed. But at least with proper photos, you can feel very comfortable with what you're getting.

This may be a great opportunity though for someone to scoop up a nice RS at a more reasonable price point between the lack of photos and the damage report.
Only two owners and same owner since 2009 is pretty rare and you should be able to see details of the history… could be a good one

BAT is one of those things I would just imagine the worst case scenario in your head and bid up to your comfort level knowing that. It’s the in the moment…whats another $5k, that ruins everything.

I got lucky and unlucky as I expected, the synchros were shot BUT it had PPF its whole life…I chose my BAT car because it had the front bumper respray, so I could relax a bit and know that the parking lot idiot tax is already built in, I’ll never be able to get top dollar and I often wonder why I’ve made it cosmetically perfect lol.

Imo get them (any of them) while the date correct parts are avail… I would focus my inspection on things that can’t be fixed…metal body parts, frame dents, signs of structural accidents, non-plastic bumper paint etc

Last edited by Wonderdan; 09-15-2024 at 03:40 PM.
Robocop305 (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 03:40 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Porsche Active Drivetrain Mount. I don't recall seeing a car equipped with it.
Just another term for Dynamic Engine Mounts.
Old 09-15-2024 | 03:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
Only two owners and same owner since 2009 is pretty rare and you should be able to see details of the history… could be a good one

BAT is one of those things I would just imagine the worst case scenario in your head and bid up to your comfort level knowing that. It’s the in the moment…whats another $5k, that ruins everything.

I got lucky and unlucky as I expected, the synchros were shot BUT it had PPF its whole life…I chose my BAT car because it had the front bumper respray, so I could relax a bit and know that the parking lot idiot tax is already built in, I’ll never be able to get top dollar and I often wonder why I’ve made it cosmetically perfect lol.

Imo get them (any of them) while the date correct parts are avail… I would focus my inspection on things that can’t be fixed…metal body parts, frame dents, signs of structural accidents, non-plastic bumper paint etc
If the seller is communicative during the auction, it may help for sure.

I'm definitely one of the people that proposes buying an original paint car (on metal panels) when possible. But where I drive myself nuts is when does that become acceptable to have a painted panel? Your RS is over 10 years old, my GT3 is over 15 years old. Eventually our cars will need paint of some sort if they continue to be driven. Like finding an original paint 964 is probably 1/10 cars? Maybe even less than that. Same with a 993. Look at the jacking point of most 997 GT cars (on BAT), the paint is chipped off of them and eventually will develop corrosion, I think. That is going to require paint or some work at some point. But this paint conversation is the reason I started the PPF thread. Once you paint a panel on one of these cars, it seems that so many buyers immediately aren't interested. While my plan/goal is to keep my car long term, I doubt that most of us are going to have these in 30 years from now. It's a long term hold for many of us, but eventually they will get sold and even ignoring the $ hit, repainted panels in the Porsche community carry so much stigma that it drives me nuts (I'm guilty of it, so I can look at myself here).
Robocop305 (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 04:22 PM
seis-speed
Pro

^^^^
That is the conundrum of using your car. Use = wear and tear… no way around it, I do not care how OCD you are.
These cars sit low, tires are wide, the lower section of your car, is either going to get some damage to PPF, or the paint, you can argue wether marks in PPF is better than marks in paint, but neither are avoidable.

I actually think attending my local cars and coffee (I never attended pre-Covid) has really helped me realize that there are 2 options of ownership. (1) Never drive, go full Garage Queen, or (2) be a driver and just live with the patina while enjoying the car. Pretty much all of us want to be option 2, but you have to fight off the perfectionist OCD nature that many of us have.

Seeing a lot of high milage 964 and 993 cars with patina has helped me get more relaxed with option 2. That is what our cars will be in the next 10-15 years.
The following 3 users liked this post by seis-speed:
pcar1 (09-16-2024), Robocop305 (09-15-2024), rotaz (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 04:47 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seis-speed
^^^^
That is the conundrum of using your car. Use = wear and tear… no way around it, I do not care how OCD you are.
These cars sit low, tires are wide, the lower section of your car, is either going to get some damage to PPF, or the paint, you can argue wether marks in PPF is better than marks in paint, but neither are avoidable.

I actually think attending my local cars and coffee (I never attended pre-Covid) has really helped me realize that there are 2 options of ownership. (1) Never drive, go full Garage Queen, or (2) be a driver and just live with the patina while enjoying the car. Pretty much all of us want to be option 2, but you have to fight off the perfectionist OCD nature that many of us have.

Seeing a lot of high milage 964 and 993 cars with patina has helped me get more relaxed with option 2. That is what our cars will be in the next 10-15 years.
Agree completely. I have friends on each end of the scale which helps. I have friends that just put miles on and drive. I have friends that keep miles lower and have stuff that is mint. Driving is my therapy. I've told people, it's either put miles on my car, or see a therapist. I find driving better. So that is what I do. I've actually considered a 964 or 993 because they've already reached the point of a repaint of a panel or two being normal. I guess I just need to realize that in 15 years, a repaint will be more normal and to not be concerned with it. Appreciate everyone's perspective on this subject. But 997 GT cars are just too good not to drive, even though seeing my car clean brings me immense happiness (as it currently sits clean in the garage after an early morning wash).
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
pcar1 (09-16-2024), Robocop305 (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 04:54 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Agree completely. I have friends on each end of the scale which helps. I have friends that just put miles on and drive. I have friends that keep miles lower and have stuff that is mint. Driving is my therapy. I've told people, it's either put miles on my car, or see a therapist. I find driving better. So that is what I do. I've actually considered a 964 or 993 because they've already reached the point of a repaint of a panel or two being normal. I guess I just need to realize that in 15 years, a repaint will be more normal and to not be concerned with it. Appreciate everyone's perspective on this subject. But 997 GT cars are just too good not to drive, even though seeing my car clean brings me immense happiness (as it currently sits clean in the garage after an early morning wash).
this is true, but a repainted panel, while more common in a 993 versus a 997, still drastically affects values on a 993.

regardless, painting is so sophisticated these days that many guys can just spot blend to a quality better than even the trained eye. gone are the days of needed to blend panels.

you either own your car, or you're taking care of it for the next guy. take your pick.
The following 3 users liked this post by lamacan:
Booth9999 (09-15-2024), pputkowski (09-15-2024), Robocop305 (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 05:51 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lamacan
this is true, but a repainted panel, while more common in a 993 versus a 997, still drastically affects values on a 993.

regardless, painting is so sophisticated these days that many guys can just spot blend to a quality better than even the trained eye. gone are the days of needed to blend panels.

you either own your car, or you're taking care of it for the next guy. take your pick.
I took my bolster protector off this morning for this reason, I replaced it last year in one of these DIY threads and I was thinking… why did I go to all that work just to put protection over it instead of enjoying it
Old 09-15-2024 | 11:44 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Also, todays high quality paints are way better and more advanced than a 15 year old factory paint job.
Old 09-16-2024 | 12:14 AM
SiNzz
Instructor

If the seller is communicative during the auction, it may help for sure.

I'm definitely one of the people that proposes buying an original paint car (on metal panels) when possible. But where I drive myself nuts is when does that become acceptable to have a painted panel? Your RS is over 10 years old, my GT3 is over 15 years old. Eventually our cars will need paint of some sort if they continue to be driven. Like finding an original paint 964 is probably 1/10 cars? Maybe even less than that. Same with a 993. Look at the jacking point of most 997 GT cars (on BAT), the paint is chipped off of them and eventually will develop corrosion, I think. That is going to require paint or some work at some point. But this paint conversation is the reason I started the PPF thread. Once you paint a panel on one of these cars, it seems that so many buyers immediately aren't interested. While my plan/goal is to keep my car long term, I doubt that most of us are going to have these in 30 years from now. It's a long term hold for many of us, but eventually they will get sold and even ignoring the $ hit, repainted panels in the Porsche community carry so much stigma that it drives me nuts (I'm guilty of it, so I can look at myself here).
The stigma around repainted panels does seem especially more pronounced in the Porsche community. I wonder if it's always been like this.

My prior 930 had a lot of patina. Having owned a prior "patina car" and now spending more time around cars that are actually driven regularly has helped ease any OCD tendencies relating to my driver GT3.
The following 2 users liked this post by SiNzz:
prl (09-16-2024), Robocop305 (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024 | 12:16 AM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SiNzz
The stigma around repainted panels does seem especially more pronounced in the Porsche community. I wonder if it's always been like this.

My prior 930 had a lot of patina. Having owned a prior "patina car" and now spending more time around cars that are actually driven regularly has helped ease any OCD tendencies relating to my driver GT3.
also much more so in the US. nobody really gives a **** in Europe. same with all the problems that aren't really problems in the Porsche world. Americans get so obsessed. in europe, they aren't militant about paint, pinning coolant lines, DME reports, secondary air check valves. we're just neurotic here.

Last edited by lamacan; 09-16-2024 at 12:18 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by lamacan:
JpCrp (09-16-2024), PK911 (09-16-2024), RallyBird (09-16-2024), Robocop305 (09-16-2024), SiNzz (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024 | 01:48 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

@RAudi Driver youve been kinda quiet on this one, does that mean your bidding .

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...