Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 price bubble bursting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 03:22 AM
LewSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it remarkable that some Porsches are approaching Ferrari, and even exceeding them, in "value." What concerns me the most is that the new cars cost so much. It certainly is a bloated market. Don't get me wrong I think Porsche is the superior vehicle. And that Ferrari's are overpriced. But now so are Porsche cars. I suppose that rear wheel steering (oooh) and automatic or computer controlled rev matching (aaah) Bring in premium dollars. If it goes faster. It must cost more!! I'll tell you one thing down shifting in a car that automatic rev matches will provide little satisfaction. Knowing that you nailed it yourself in a 997.2 GT3 before you went in to that corner will provide infinite satisfaction, comparatively speaking. And that satisfaction is worth something. To me anyways. The converse is true. Automatic rev matching diminishes the value of a car as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

07 housing mkt. not everything collapsed. the good stuff. SF marina, russian hill, *** hill, atherton, woodside etc moved less than 5%. upper east side of NYC i bet didn't move much.

GT3 mkt. if u have a mileaged car, sure price will drop
if you have a 10,000 miles GT3RS, no it will not drop in price much at all.
if you have a really rare car like RS4.0 in PTS, it will continue to go up in price regardless of economy or WW3.

when one discuss GT3, you must keep in mind WHAT KIND of GT3.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:09 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

How about a standard GT3? Are we saying it's really only special editions.
gT3? That makes sense for sure and they were always higher. I will say there is something abut the plane Jane 997 gt3, can almost slide there without being noticed if debadged. Really what I like about Porsche the subtle ones are somewhat stealthy but I also love the crazy special editions with bright colours for certain uses
Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've driven my friends 2012 GTS, the clutch was very light and the steering felt highly electronic to me. The wide body and center lock wheels look very cool. It had great power but just seemed like a higher HSP 911. Also, I see the prices of the 2012 GTS (last 997 body style) drop from $110k purchase price to around $80K ish, even with lower miles like under 15k.
The GT3 (at least the 07 I bought and 08 I drove) is a totally different animal, from engine sound, clutch, gear shifting, suspension, handling, much higher revving engine.
IMO, Then GTS is definitely more of a DD for a majority of people that want or are already own a modern 911.
At least to me these two cars are very different modern 911s and would appeal to very different enthusiasts, but in the end the GT3 cars will at the very least hold their values or even increase over time depending on the miles, use and condition.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:19 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I cannot see any comparison between the two. Completely different engines, brakes, handling characteristics. Just the engine sound alone is so different. A GTS is an option for someone who wants a higher performing base 911, while a GT3 is a motorsports special. It has racing pedigree and its engine has little in common with your 9A DFI engined GTS. Its apples and oranges.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:52 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
but I like firm **** and tight butt
so what that I have to go to gym everyday and buy purple pills as if I own a pharmacy.....
is purple the new blue?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:55 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
I've driven my friends 2012 GTS, the clutch was very light and the steering felt highly electronic to me. The wide body and center lock wheels look very cool. It had great power but just seemed like a higher HSP 911. Also, I see the prices of the 2012 GTS (last 997 body style) drop from $110k purchase price to around $80K ish, even with lower miles like under 15k.
The GT3 (at least the 07 I bought and 08 I drove) is a totally different animal, from engine sound, clutch, gear shifting, suspension, handling, much higher revving engine.
IMO, Then GTS is definitely more of a DD for a majority of people that want or are already own a modern 911.
At least to me these two cars are very different modern 911s and would appeal to very different enthusiasts, but in the end the GT3 cars will at the very least hold their values or even increase over time depending on the miles, use and condition.
Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I cannot see any comparison between the two. Completely different engines, brakes, handling characteristics. Just the engine sound alone is so different. A GTS is an option for someone who wants a higher performing base 911, while a GT3 is a motorsports special. It has racing pedigree and its engine has little in common with your 9A DFI engined GTS. Its apples and oranges.
gts discussion is off point in this thread

as raj mentions, gt3 is a different animal entirely in every iteration from the standard car on which it shares just a body/platform
Old 04-12-2016, 12:59 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtgt
How about a standard GT3? Are we saying it's really only special editions.
gT3? That makes sense for sure and they were always higher. I will say there is something abut the plane Jane 997 gt3, can almost slide there without being noticed if debadged. Really what I like about Porsche the subtle ones are somewhat stealthy but I also love the crazy special editions with bright colours for certain uses
well cared for 'plain jane' 7gt3's will fare just fine imho

suggestion to doubters:

drive a new 'serious' p-car (1gt3, gt4, 1gt3 rs), then drive a plain jane 7gt3 (doesn't matter .1 or .2) back to back

you will know why instantly

not to say the new cars aren't awesome, they are

but the 7gt3 feel, response, excitement, mezger adrenalin, danger, involvement... it will forever be a valued classic (rs versions make it even slightly moreso)... and one of the very pinnacles of pag's brilliant history

(...says the man who has just a few in the stable... )
Old 04-12-2016, 06:45 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
gts discussion is off point in this thread

as raj mentions, gt3 is a different animal entirely in every iteration from the standard car on which it shares just a body/platform
I disagree. I think it's a good to put in context where the best of the Carreras sits against the GT3. Porsche's marketing tried to put the GTS and GT3 in the same breath to sell the GTS. Talking about why that is nonsense will educate the market and help the GT3's case for why it is unique ergo worth more... much more. It gives credence to why the GT3 holds its value so well. You and I are certainly aligned with the fact that while they may look pretty similar, they are nearly completely different cars. So it's good to put the info out there as to why.

Last edited by nwGTS; 04-12-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I disagree. I think it's a good to put in context where the best of the Carreras sits against the GT3. Porsche's marketing tried to put the GTS and GT3 in the same breath to sell the GTS. Talking about why that is nonsense will educate the market and help the GT3's case for why it is unique ergo worth more... much more. It gives credence to why the GT3 holds its value so well. We are certainly aligned that while they may look pretty similar, they are nearly completely different cars. So it's good to put the info out there as to why.
True story.

My dad always wanted a 911.

Fast forward.

I put my .1 in his garage to move some of the cars around. Without my permission takes my car .5 miles to tennis. Calls me and says "I am really glad I never got a 911"

Fast forward. We are looking for 997 gts for him to keep.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:54 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I disagree. I think it's a good to put in context where the best of the Carreras sits against the GT3. Porsche's marketing tried to put the GTS and GT3 in the same breath to sell the GTS. Talking about why that is nonsense will educate the market and help the GT3's case for why it is unique ergo worth more... much more. It gives credence to why the GT3 holds its value so well. We are certainly aligned that while they may look pretty similar, they are nearly completely different cars. So it's good to put the info out there as to why.
nwGTS

wait... you should be nwGT3, no?

Old 04-12-2016, 11:36 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Lightbulb

well cared for 'plain jane' 7gt3's will fare just fine imho

suggestion to doubters:

drive a new 'serious' p-car (1gt3, gt4, 1gt3 rs), then drive a plain jane 7gt3 (doesn't matter .1 or .2) back to back

you will know why instantly

not to say the new cars aren't awesome, they are

but the 7gt3 feel, response, excitement, mezger adrenalin, danger, involvement... it will forever be a valued classic (rs versions make it even slightly moreso)... and one of the very pinnacles of pag's brilliant history

(...says the man who has just a few in the stable... )
Great feedback, on that not I'll be stockpiling Gt3, 996 and 997 and all trims and variants talk to me in say 10 years :-)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

nwGTS

wait... you should be nwGT3, no?

True. They say dress for the job you want... looks like I messed up!
Old 04-13-2016, 03:10 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
2017 991.2 GTS w/450bhp & 400 ft/lb torque will give the 991 GT3's a run for their money ... which probably means the .2 GT3 will have to use the RS 4.0 power plant ...
let's hope so... but i am hearing 3.8 mill still ...
Old 04-13-2016, 03:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
Great feedback, on that not I'll be stockpiling Gt3, 996 and 997 and all trims and variants talk to me in say 10 years :-)
note that golfnuttibs has more GT3 than your have fingers.

i drove my 4.0 today. i am in no hurry to receive my 991RS.
and when 991RS shows up. i certainly wont be selling the 4.0 either.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 price bubble bursting?