Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts

Name:  image-3028293190.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  454.5 KB

The best of both worlds. My 997's - one my CNC and the other a modified track beast. The white one is fully loaded with radio, wart, sun roof and leather. Love it!!!! It's still a blast to track on occasion too.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:57 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaines
Ok...

Old 02-11-2016, 01:58 AM
alpha motoring
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
The obsession with stripped no radio no wart is very silly to me. I don't get it. Arbitrary reasons to discriminate. These are faux track cars for the street anyway. Don't want the radio? Leave it off. Don't like the wart? Don't look at it. I don't even notice it. The car is not more hardcore with or without these things.

Fwiw I would prefer a leather dash and nice interior color accents (less carbon) over the aforementioned options. I have seen some horrendous spec'd cars. Color in the dash vents. Color on the radio plates as examples.

Regardless all of this can be changed if you really wanted.

Better to buy the nicest car you can find and "tweak" whatever you don't like at this point. Although admittedly ridding the wart will be tough.
i think RS is a CNC car.
once i driven cup car and full on race cars, all the rest are just street cars. make some noises and show off at CNC that's what i do with my RS. sometimes i even bikini wax them. those who feel RS are track cars are sorely mistaken. go drive a real track car, then suddenly you will laugh..

the deletion of radio, wart etc is not for wt. in fact i dont understand the obsession with wt saving on street cars. i ALWAYS opt for the heavy steel rotors, even if PCCB were cheaper i would still take iron rotors bc when i drop the heavy wheels on the disc, nothing will shatter. i absolute hate li ion. it beep to warn me it's low on reserve. i use the largest battery that fits. sometimes i dont derive for 6 months and my cars never fail to fire up (i do not own any trickle charger). i dont like radio b/c the screen looks ugly to me. i dont like wart b/c after wearing als, pp, ap roo for decades, the cheap plastic clock like thing is just cheap.

i also dont like front end lift b/c they break, i have two cars with them. b/n the two it broke more than 20x. luckily i had warranty, it's $5000 to replace.

i love full leather, especially on women
i hate faux CF on interior.

it's all frivolous arbitrary options ppl pick. there is no real reason. if one had a reason for any option, it's really what we designers call "post design rationalization". i MUST have a reason for everything i do. meh... in my presentation if my prof or guests asked why i designed it the way i did... i always stared straight in there eyes, drink my mocha, and say bc it is COOL. they are usually lost for words with my reply...

stop thinking just DO.
Mooty for President!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

i think RS is a CNC car.
once i driven cup car and full on race cars, all the rest are just street cars. make some noises and show off at CNC that's what i do with my RS. sometimes i even bikini wax them. those who feel RS are track cars are sorely mistaken. go drive a real track car, then suddenly you will laugh..
Ah yoda,

There's an interview with Mark Webber in the April 2016 Excellence Mag:
Excellence: For a track inspired street car like the 911 GT3 RS, how close is the feel to an actual race car?
Webber: For a street car, the GT3 RS is an absolute weapon. It is an incredible car, it's raw and it gives super feedback, in terms of emotions. You feel like you're in a quick car.
Mark agrees with mooty.
This is the finest example of Aussie diplomacy I've ever seen.

- curt
Old 02-11-2016, 03:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

^ lol, dont get me wrong curt. i like what u and shay do with your collection of GT3 and RS's. but you dont pretend they are RACE cars. they are just fun safe fast cars you can play with on track. i hear too much about " this is a race car for the street ". race cars are POS on the street. i konw, i used to communte in my full on BSR and spec miata in suit and ties. ( i was younger and much dumber )

btw, 3/11-3/13 PCA at TH, pls drag justin and cantrell crew down. it will be fun.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:09 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jonwb
are those doc marten or caterpillars? reminds me of my const mgmt days.

Originally Posted by Runner
Attachment 1018094

The best of both worlds. My 997's - one my CNC and the other a modified track beast. The white one is fully loaded with radio, wart, sun roof and leather. Love it!!!! It's still a blast to track on occasion too.
smart man
Old 02-11-2016, 05:48 AM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by curtsm
Ah yoda,

There's an interview with Mark Webber in the April 2016 Excellence Mag:
Excellence: For a track inspired street car like the 911 GT3 RS, how close is the feel to an actual race car?
Webber: For a street car, the GT3 RS is an absolute weapon. It is an incredible car, it's raw and it gives super feedback, in terms of emotions. You feel like you're in a quick car.
Mark agrees with mooty.
This is the finest example of Aussie diplomacy I've ever seen.

- curt
I think it's important to distinguish between track cars and race cars. A GT3 is a factory buildt track car in that it excells both on the street and on the track - hardly any other cars exists that will perform anything like it on track in stock format. A Cup car is a race car. Thinking that a GT3/GT3RS is a race car is way off, but I would still say it's one of the only production cars I'd call a track car.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there are a few other cars available now that can perform reasonably well on both the street and the track, even if not optimized for either. The Camaro for one, with the track package and 'Vette engine, the Mustang 350 in the R version, and of course the hyper-expensive Lambo and Ferrari Corsa versions of their street cars. I think even Miata makes a car that is both street and track capable. And yes, a car set up exclusively for race use, or drag racing, is a vastly different car than a compromise streetable car.

Are you guys aware of the recent proposed rules from the EPA which will prohibit aftermarket changes to any car for track or race use?

All the best....

NV
Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
Are you guys aware of the recent proposed rules from the EPA which will prohibit aftermarket changes to any car for track or race use?
NV
WTF? Not the Obama EPA train wreck again...
Old 02-11-2016, 12:15 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL back. yeah, we don't think street cars are race cars, Shay and I have both raced BMW E30's.

A race car is a POS on the street and even the lowly the 170 HP '89 E30 gives a track prepped GT3 a run for it's money if driven well and the Porsches are not faster in corners, just like those angry buzzing Miatas that you see at a Speed Ventures event

Shay got to drive one of our friend's cup car last year and she was shocked at how much harder it was to drive than our street cars, but how it was such a hoot. She now looks at the track cars in a different way, the same way she looks at me after seeing a picture of Patrick Dempsey.

It's only a matter of when, not if we're going down that slippery slope :

Here are the STREET CARS THAT WE TAKE TO THE TRACK:

^ lol, dont get me wrong curt. i like what u and shay do with your collection of GT3 and RS's. but you dont pretend they are RACE cars. they are just fun safe fast cars you can play with on track. i hear too much about " this is a race car for the street ". race cars are POS on the street. i konw, i used to communte in my full on BSR and spec miata in suit and ties. ( i was younger and much dumber )
The Cantrell crew is on the road again this year and right now is down in SoCal. I wish we could go to TH this time, but we can't make it and the trailer from Cantrell has already left without us ...

btw, 3/11-3/13 PCA at TH, pls drag justin and cantrell crew down. it will be fun.

Last edited by curtsm; 02-11-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:58 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg, here is the EPA proposal:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/...r-conversions/

The EPA just hates the infernal combustion engine.

all the best...

NV
Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So sad... what is this world coming to...
Old 02-11-2016, 03:49 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 200 Posts

It's never gonna fly. They seem to come up with these types of outlandish proposals on an annual basis. It will amount to nothing and everybody will move on. Nothing new here.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:25 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curtsm
LOL back. yeah, we don't think street cars are race cars, Shay and I have both raced BMW E30's.

A race car is a POS on the street and even the lowly the 170 HP '89 E30 gives a track prepped GT3 a run for it's money if driven well and the Porsches are not faster in corners, just like those angry buzzing Miatas that you see at a Speed Ventures event

Shay got to drive one of our friend's cup car last year and she was shocked at how much harder it was to drive than our street cars, but how it was such a hoot. She now looks at the track cars in a different way, the same way she looks at me after seeing a picture of Patrick Dempsey.

It's only a matter of when, not if we're going down that slippery slope :

Here are the STREET CARS THAT WE TAKE TO THE TRACK:

The Cantrell crew is on the road again this year and right now is down in SoCal. I wish we could go to TH this time, but we can't make it and the trailer from Cantrell has already left without us ...
just get shay a cup car and be done with it

i can send one of my trailer up to microsoft and get your cars down to TH ;-)

i am bored. nothing to do. i am at BW 3/4-7 then immediately TH 3/11 - 13, i just found out my wife's birthday is in there......

i will have her move her birthday to another day that''s more convenient.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 293 Posts

i am at BW 3/4-7 then immediately TH 3/11 - 13, i just found out my wife's birthday is in there...... i will have her move her birthday to another day that''s more convenient.
Hahaha

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 price bubble bursting?