991 GT3 RS will NOT have a manual box

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Variety is good.
Exactly, and is why they offered a manual GT4. There is a void in the market for this car. Pretty obvious. The manual market is certainly small, but it's not dead my friend.

If everything was PDK, there would be no variety.

Porsche offers endless different variations of the 911 and cayman all with PDK. Let the manual lovers have their day. I find it laughable when people complain that the GT4 isn't offered with PDK (which we know it will), when they have tons of other PDK options, meaning EVERY other car in the Porsche lineup. Currently, the cayman is the only offering with a true 6-spd manual...can't even get it on the 911.

I think we will see a true manual transmission make its' way back into the entire 911 lineup. Going to turbos they can afford to lose some mpg's....plus they know all turbo lineup will upset the base, so they need to throw them a bone.

Most importantly, they know their current 7-spd box is total crap.

So in this day and age where virtually EVERY car is dual clutch, give the manual supporters a break. They have WAY less options than those who want "variety", or the fastest car, or can't heel-toe, or are too lazy to shift, or need PDK for traffic, or are tech geeks who love tech, or those who have to have the latest greatest of everything all the time.....
Old 02-12-2015, 05:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Exactly, and is why they offered a manual GT4. There is a void in the market for this car. Pretty obvious. The manual market is certainly small, but it's not dead my friend. If everything was PDK, there would be no variety. Porsche offers endless different variations of the 911 and cayman all with PDK. Let the manual lovers have their day. I find it laughable when people complain that the GT4 isn't offered with PDK (which we know it will), when they have tons of other PDK options, meaning EVERY other car in the Porsche lineup. Currently, the cayman is the only offering with a true 6-spd manual...can't even get it on the 911. I think we will see a true manual transmission make its' way back into the entire 911 lineup. Going to turbos they can afford to lose some mpg's....plus they know all turbo lineup will upset the base, so they need to throw them a bone. Most importantly, they know their current 7-spd box is total crap. So in this day and age where virtually EVERY car is dual clutch, give the manual supporters a break. They have WAY less options than those who want "variety", or the fastest car, or can't heel-toe, or are too lazy to shift, or need PDK for traffic, or are tech geeks who love tech, or those who have to have the latest greatest of everything all the time.....
This man knows what he's talking about!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:52 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
This man knows what he's talking about!
ditto !
Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Mvez nailed it!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:56 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

from the very end of http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/150...et-a-27-turbo/ article:

Rohrl also confirmed that, unlike the PDK-only GT3, the RS will offer a manual transmission.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
from the very end of http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/150...et-a-27-turbo/ article:

Rohrl also confirmed that, unlike the PDK-only GT3, the RS will offer a manual transmission.
All things are certainly pointing toward a "quiet" release of a manual for the RS. They must first release it with PDK to achieve the maximum performance specifications, to lay the smack down on all the competition, including the 458 Speciale, and then a manual to follow. I think we all know it's coming. The question is, will it be a no cost option.....unlike most where they charge for the PDK as an option, Porsche will likely find a way to charge more for a manual..lol.

I personally think the 991.2 GT3/RS will both be retain NA motors, and offer a true 6/7 speed manual transmission. I would also expect production numbers to increase for the .2's as well.

I don't think we'll see forced induction on these GT3 cars until the next generation, whatever number it will be called.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918

hard not to believe WR ... I guess they could have dusted off whatever manual they started to develop for the GT3 and bring it to production in the time between the 991 launch (PDK-S only) "disappointment" and now...

So what incremental BHP or weight reduction (bhp/ton) does an RS need to beat its GT3 cousin with PDK-S?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Advancement.

Don't bet against it.

Dr GT says the new car has to be "more extreme"

Remember when the .1 rs was bid to 250k? Basically on paint and badge. Then along came the .2 rs.

It's different. But not really.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:21 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 122 Posts

I want RS with carburetor - electronic injection kills the experience
Old 02-13-2015, 09:57 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder how many commenting how uninvolving the pdk-s have actually driven one extensively... i was skeptical, have always owned manual porsches and largely manual cars, and had driven "regular" pdk porsches... this tranny is very different - so involving, the snorts, pops, downshifts, sounds, speed of the shift, the paddle neutral function (which is quite special), etc. I have stalled the car a couple times. Its a manual. Just no third pedal. Still engaging, still requires a lot of thought/involvement. And when you shift at 9k and feel the bang in your seat, its something else...

Much rougher sounds/idle/etc. than my 997.2 gt3, more raw experience then I expected.

Just saying, if you haven't been able to compare, then how do you know? I think the PDK-S will be perfect for the new RS.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I want RS with carburetor - electronic injection kills the experience
This^^^

Miss pulling a choke- the Russian roulette of flooding- the flat spots and constant tune ups

I am happy the tech is coming.

The gear box in the 997 GT series with its problematic and well documented 2nd to third change etc plus the clutch failures
Old 02-14-2015, 03:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I wonder how many commenting how uninvolving the pdk-s have actually driven one extensively... i was skeptical, have always owned manual porsches and largely manual cars, and had driven "regular" pdk porsches... this tranny is very different - so involving, the snorts, pops, downshifts, sounds, speed of the shift, the paddle neutral function (which is quite special), etc. I have stalled the car a couple times. Its a manual. Just no third pedal. Still engaging, still requires a lot of thought/involvement. And when you shift at 9k and feel the bang in your seat, its something else...

Much rougher sounds/idle/etc. than my 997.2 gt3, more raw experience then I expected.

Just saying, if you haven't been able to compare, then how do you know? I think the PDK-S will be perfect for the new RS.
nocal DE group has a lot of GT3/RS drivers. those of use who drove the 991GT3 immediately bought one. no exceptions. 15 min drive, i called and bought one. so are the rest of the 7GT3 guys. i u know how to drive, you will find it to be more engaging than 7 or 6 for that matter.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:27 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Moot knows the truth.

This 'drives itself' and analogue s*** is just that s***
Old 02-14-2015, 07:24 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
those of use who drove the 991GT3 immediately bought one. no exceptions. 15 min drive, i called and bought one.
this is a strong statement/endorsement.
damn, i thought i could outrun the lure of technology.
i was trying real hard...
Old 02-14-2015, 08:35 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

i have no doubt, it'll be more exciting as a track day car

when you are on the envelope of adhesion, with your hand nudging the outside of the steering wheel coaxing the the car to turn in, shifting is an added distraction and the joy of driving doesn't lessen if you are using paddles, in fact , going faster makes it more exciting.

Track guys should like paddles. Ariel atoms in the UK with paddles (at 20k option price) are selling well because of that.

To boot, when you are done and want to drive home, the pdk makes it a cinch.

what it doesn't do is make it pleasurable at 3-5/10s, where downshifting on empty winding roads is a joy and working the gear box makes you at one with the car.

So how you drive I think does matter in this context.

But, last of all, the art of driving a stick is always fun so there'll always be a place for it but to dismiss paddles as unexciting is simply wrong. Depending on the application, it can often be much more fun than a manual.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS will NOT have a manual box