Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 RS will NOT have a manual box

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Certainly the Cayenne, Panamera, and Macan bring in enough revenue to develop a great manual transmission that works well in the 991 GT3 and RS. Isn't that why they make sedans and SUVs - so they can continue to make sports cars for their loyal customer base?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:16 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

for such a limited run model, the development costs? be reasonable.

They can sell every RS since they are pretty limited. if you want manual get in line for the Gt4....
Old 02-08-2015, 08:59 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni

They can sell every RS since they are pretty limited. if you want manual get in line for the Gt4....
Agree with cost of development for a "limited run" model. Why do you suppose Porsche is limiting the run on the RS? With the 997 GTs, the limiting factor for production seem to be the Mezger engine. With the 9a1 engine lending itself to higher volume production runs and Porsche's goal of increasing overall unit sales, I would expect higher numbers for the 991 GT3RS.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
Porsche is the most profitable car manufacturer. Sports cars are (or at least were) their core business. The GT3 is the halo for loyal customers. There is clearly a demand (escalating 997 GT3 prices, frenzy over the GT4).

If struggling manufacturers (GM, Lotus, Jaguar) can develop two transmissions for their performance cars, certainly Porsche can.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:43 AM
DDSLT5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They love to say things like how the emissions rules are governing use of PDK, but for such a small run of cars, the manual vs. pdk will hardly affect fleet numbers. And if they would, why offer the manual in the GT4, much less manual ONLY?

As for cost, yes, plenty of potential owners are perfectly willing to pony up for the cost of the manual trans. Of course, since the trans is the same, and the manual box extras are already used on 991s, the cost wouldn't be much more than deviated stitching.

We're talking about an option here. Nobody is forcing those who want to feel like they have a bigger **** than the ferrari drivers from taking the option. Personally, I don't race professionally, so that last tenth of a second isn't a concern for me. If you know what I mean.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
That's what they've always said. Not sure why people keep hoping for a manual.
You are 100% right. But some of us were still hoping for the MT version.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

I would have loved one too but not meant to be.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

it's all very entertaining
but if Porsche made an rs sigh 100 hp amd 500$ tag, it will sell too
if the U.S. mkt won't take it, the rest of the world is more than happy to absorb it.
look at speciale, scud, strad....
until one of us runs PAG.... it's a tough battle
Old 02-08-2015, 01:04 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one should have to justify why they want a manual. Porsche still makes them, put one in there. Simple. As good as they are at reusing parts, it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:14 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reason for gt3 and rs being limited is more to do with the performance envelope, it is not easy to build warranty worthy engines with 9000rpm redline and do it in a package that can hang with the 458 and speciales of today. Imagine getting some little detail wrong and before you know it, you have to replace the engines is all of the cars you sold, leaves an egg on your face and no money for the next version's r&d. Therefore, better to be meticulous and deliberate and deliver smaller number than go all gung ho and end up with another egg.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
Reason for gt3 and rs being limited is more to do with the performance envelope, it is not easy to build warranty worthy engines with 9000rpm redline and do it in a package that can hang with the 458 and speciales of today. Imagine getting some little detail wrong and before you know it, you have to replace the engines is all of the cars you sold, leaves an egg on your face and no money for the next version's r&d. Therefore, better to be meticulous and deliberate and deliver smaller number than go all gung ho and end up with another egg.
Besides, they already did that!
Old 02-08-2015, 03:25 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

With the well-established enthusiast base who clearly desire a track-suitable 911 with a manual transmission I think it is a major mistake for Porsche to not offer a GT3 with a 6-speed. I consider myself fortunate to own a 997 GT3 and I hope I will be able to drive myself to the "Home" in it many years from now.

As massive a performer the 991 GT3 is, it doesn't speak to me. I want the involvement with the machine that the manual provides. If I was racing with my car of course I would need and want a PDK. I think it is unfortunate that Porsche is dictating to their customers what kind of car they can purchase. Let the other high-end sports car manufacturers offer only dual-clutches ~ by offering the choice Porsche would allow itself to be distanced from their competitors....

On a more technical level, my understanding is that the 991 PDK and 7-speed transmissions ultilize the same case and many of the same internal components. If true, how high could the costs of producing a 6-speed be for the GT3?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Listen carefully when the GT4 is discussed. Discussion of a manual box in the GT4 ensues, because of the PDK only boxes in the GT3/RS. There it is. Video Link: http://youtu.be/AbZG3iUl5rk
Have you seen the GT4 video with Evo?

Dr GT himself says something to the effect of "we developed this manual in conjunction with another car, hahaha, which you can probably guess"
Old 02-08-2015, 05:04 PM
hs63gt3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to op and ppl who keep saying there will be no manual.

I'm totally against you.

why so sure about that??

I just dont get it.

I bet gt3rs will be back with manual.

dream will eventually come true guys..
Old 02-08-2015, 05:09 PM
DDSLT5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hs63gt3
to op and ppl who keep saying there will be no manual.

I'm totally against you.

why so sure about that??

I just dont get it.

I bet gt3rs will be back with manual.

dream will eventually come true guys..

While anything can happen, if you watch the video I posted, it is pretty clear that the same guy, Dr. GT, says clearly that the RS will only have the PDK.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS will NOT have a manual box