Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:16 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

The financial problem is that the cost delta between 996 and 997 is starting to come down. You would have to have a very special 996 to make a good case for doing this, otherwise it might be cheaper to buy a PASM 997 and retrofit your controller OR a non-pasm 997 and retrofit a B8 damptronic system and your controller.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
The financial problem is that the cost delta between 996 and 997 is starting to come down. You would have to have a very special 996 to make a good case for doing this, otherwise it might be cheaper to buy a PASM 997 and retrofit your controller OR a non-pasm 997 and retrofit a B8 damptronic system and your controller.
I understand. It all depends on the situation and the goal; whether a car owner wants to make their current car the way they want, or want to have the technology in any car that makes more financial sense to the individual. For cost comparison the DSC/Tractive packages are comparable cost to a set of prominent brand mechanical 3-way adjustable coilovers. We feel that the price is reasonable for the performance and technology of the product. As for product cost to the value of the car, all the high end coilover makers are all in the same situation as well I suppose. We don't expect to sell huge volume like B8 and B16 sell on amazon so there is the exclusivity appeal as well. Those who got it weren't disappointed.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:45 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed

Installing the DSC unit in my 991RS tomorrow and will be taking it to SIlverstone on Sunday. Will report back. Have not done SS in the RS yet so will not have direct comparison.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:42 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
Subscribed

Installing the DSC unit in my 991RS tomorrow and will be taking it to SIlverstone on Sunday. Will report back. Have not done SS in the RS yet so will not have direct comparison.

Since it’s a 5 min install maybe do the morning sessions without it and then switch out to the DSC?

I just picked mine up excited to try it out in 2018. Spring can’t come soone enough.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Mika911
Racer

Originally Posted by rnh204
Since it €™s a 5 min install maybe do the morning sessions without it and then switch out to the DSC?

I just picked mine up excited to try it out in 2018. Spring can €™t come soone enough.
Should really have done that, but decided not to as the guy installing the unit initially had some issues with warning messages coming up. Since these were cleared I did not want to tinker with it.

Got a good drive in the car, first on the fabulous (not) M25 around London on which the car drove clearly a lot smoother with DSC. On track however I cannot say I noticed a difference in the way the car felt. Though I am not familiar with Silverstone, I have done about 5000 miles on track in the RS so know the car very well. I also did some pax laps with a friend in a non DSC RS and it felt very similar. The main reason I got the DSC was to hopefully reduce the cording on the outside rear. However, today the tyre went from no cording to lots of 1cm chucks to the canvas in one fast session. I presume this is due to the characteristics of the track, but I was a bit shocked about the speed at which it happened (despite using the DSC). Tyres had done two previous track days.

Next drive will be 2.5d Portimao in March, so by then I will need to redo the geo (currently it is quite aggressive which does not seem to work well with the RS). Look forward to then do some more testing of the DSC.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:34 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Should really have done that, but decided not to as the guy installing the unit initially had some issues with warning messages coming up. Since these were cleared I did not want to tinker with it.

Got a good drive in the car, first on the fabulous (not) M25 around London on which the car drove clearly a lot smoother with DSC. On track however I cannot say I noticed a difference in the way the car felt. Though I am not familiar with Silverstone, I have done about 5000 miles on track in the RS so know the car very well. I also did some pax laps with a friend in a non DSC RS and it felt very similar. The main reason I got the DSC was to hopefully reduce the cording on the outside rear. However, today the tyre went from no cording to lots of 1cm chucks to the canvas in one fast session. I presume this is due to the characteristics of the track, but I was a bit shocked about the speed at which it happened (despite using the DSC). Tyres had done two previous track days.

Next drive will be 2.5d Portimao in March, so by then I will need to redo the geo (currently it is quite aggressive which does not seem to work well with the RS). Look forward to then do some more testing of the DSC.
You may know him but if not you might reach out to APOLO1 on PH. He has a 991 GT3RS (amongst most other really nice modern Porsches), does many Silverstone days with Goldtrack and pays attention to set up. He posted initial impressions on the thread linked below and offered to share his set up.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1546871

Portimao is a great circuit, I went there in September and also Estoril and Jerez.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 AM
Mika911
Racer

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
You may know him but if not you might reach out to APOLO1 on PH. He has a 991 GT3RS (amongst most other really nice modern Porsches), does many Silverstone days with Goldtrack and pays attention to set up. He posted initial impressions on the thread linked below and offered to share his set up.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1546871

Portimao is a great circuit, I went there in September and also Estoril and Jerez.
Small world... I was out on track with him in his gen2 GT3 yesterday (which is btw a fabulous car). :-)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Should really have done that, but decided not to as the guy installing the unit initially had some issues with warning messages coming up.
Make sure the key is out of the ignition switch when changing out the modules. Otherwise warning messages with come up from loss of continuity while the wires are still hot.

The main reason I got the DSC was to hopefully reduce the cording on the outside rear. However, today the tyre went from no cording to lots of 1cm chucks to the canvas in one fast session. I presume this is due to the characteristics of the track, but I was a bit shocked about the speed at which it happened (despite using the DSC). Tyres had done two previous track days.
Tire wear is mainly a function of the wheel alignment, specifically camber in this case. DSC can mask tire wear to some degree on some cars(depending on how the mapping its programmed) but it is not a true substitution for having the wheel alignment setup for the highest denominator of usage, which in this case is track use.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Mika911,

How old is your DSC? Who installed it? Email me your mapping file, I'd be glad to have a look.

Thank you for your feedback thus far.

Regards,
Tom
tchan@tpcracing.com
Old 11-28-2017, 06:31 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

A couple of questions:

1) Does a 997.2 dsc module for a turbo work in a GT3? I would assume there is a different spring rate therefore a different firmware / map. I’m considering buying a used one.

2) How does the 997.2 GT3 w/DSC compare with a GT4 ride?

The reason I ask is because I loved the suspension in the GT4 and I’d like a way to get more of a ride like that on bumpy back roads.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:41 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

^^^ biggest difference is that the GT4 can adjust mid stroke where the 997 platform cannot. lots of other changes but that's a whopper in the 'ride' dept
Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts
Default DSC versus Moton DA

I have been following the success of the DSC module with great interest since the introduction in 2015. I would like to re-ask a question that was addressed in POST #33, way back at the beginning: Does anyone have some real world comparisons between running the DSC with OEM PASM shocks, versus installing a Moton (or other good quality) double adjustable remote cannister shock? I have a nicely set up 2007 GT3, double adjustable Motons:

Rear:

Front canister and adjuster:

I blew out a seal on one, so I pulled them off and sent out for rebuild and dyno. I stuck the OEM PASM shocks back in so the car could still drive, and recently got the Moton's back. While the OEM shocks are already back in there, it got me thinking about what would be faster, OEM's on DSC, or putting the Motons back in. I am an intermediate DE driver, not afraid to use the curbs, and the car, while it has a license plate, is basically a dedicated track car. For driving style, typical 2:25 lap at COTA:

Any updates or thoughts about DSC versus manual adjustables? Thanks!

Old 12-15-2017, 03:49 PM
shogun974
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you offer an ajustable camber plate option when buying tractive DDA complete suspension kit for the front ones?

I ask just cause I saw you recommend -2.5° for front camber.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:57 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Does the "DDA-RT Package" *include* the controller?

http://www.dscsport.com/product/trac...87-rt-package/
Old 12-15-2017, 04:43 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shogun974
Do you offer an ajustable camber plate option when buying tractive DDA complete suspension kit for the front ones?

I ask just cause I saw you recommend -2.5° for front camber.
Tractive coilover kit for 997 includes billet aluminum top plates. The front top plates have offset bearing to increase camber adjustment range. The offset is same as GT3 and Cup. -2.5 front camber is achievable with the offset alone, however, GT3 LCA's are recommended as well to have front track width tuneability.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM