Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:58 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

the windows update caused problems with my Quicken program... usually, when windows does the next update it fixes the problem. BTW.. I'm using preview windows 10 builds...
Old 05-17-2018, 06:21 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
have you downloaded the latest installer app (1.8.3) from DSC and uninstalled the SIlabs USB/UART driver???
It's the tuner app that is 1.8.3. Uninstalled the driver? No - which one?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:51 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts

I'm not a computer expert, in fact I am far from being one, I barely know how to use windows, I know the following from personal experience. yes I have experienced windows 10 automatic update causing issues with usb drivers. If usb doesn't work after update then delete the driver via control panel>device manager>ports, then download a different driver from Silabs. I think there are 3 possible drivers, of the 3 you'll find one that works for your PC. Must delete one driver before download/installing another driver. My experience has been 95% of the user have no issue and get communication the first try. other 5% have to try different usb drivers.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 05-22-2018, 07:03 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

I've tried all 3 SI labs versions and nothing works. There must be some difference with the way the tuner software and the firmware update software communicates as I have never had any issue with the tuner software of any version. Tried changing COM ports and nothing. The firmware updater seems to quickly skip over the appropriate COM port and say no communication whereas it takes about 3 secs to look at all the vacant ports.
My firmware is an early 2 mode 2015 one - can't remember the version offhand.

BTW - nothing to do with windows updates, the firmware updater has never worked and the tuner always has.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

^^^ Same issue.
Tried both a Win 10 rig and Win 7 pro rig.
And all three SI Labs driver.
Comm port connection fails every time even after changing the com4 to another com in device manager (i.e. com5, 6 etc)

Also, the link to the 997.2 software in the emailed newsletter hyperlinks to the wrong firmware. It links to the 9.19.16 version for the 996 right above it. Fortunately I caught it. It is correct on the DSC sport website though. Doesn't matter ultimately because the DSC Utility (DSC Sport Loader) is bork software.

Last edited by nwGTS; 05-22-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:43 PM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
^^^ Same issue.
Comm port connection fails every time even after changing the com4 to another com in device manager (i.e. com5, 6 etc)

Also, the link to the 997.2 software in the emailed newsletter hyperlinks to the wrong firmware. It links to the 9.19.16 version for the 996 right above it. Fortunately I caught it. It is correct on the DSC sport website though. Doesn't matter ultimately because the DSC Utility (DSC Sport Loader) is bork software.

We have developed a video in regards to this current issue and have resolved it. Please be on the look out for the video on confirming the correct driver installation as well as a PDF manual to help DSC Sport users in regard to the steps to take to delete and reinstall the correct drivers. The new Registration email will contain the correct driver installation package with the DSC Loader (DSC Utility) which is for FIRMWARE UPDATE ONLY, not as commonly used as the DSC Tuner software for use of Reading, Writing, and Tuning your PDTS calibration files to the DSC Sport Controller.

PLEASE NOTE IN REGARDS TO THE LAST NEWSLETTER: It is nice to update to the latest DSC Tuning software, but please allow me to let it be known the previous newsletter referencing to the 997 vehicles to having velocity is incorrect. All 997 vehicles don't have ride height sensors like the 991 vehicles have and we are sorry for the confusion. There is no need to update the 2-mode firmware currently on your 997 DSC Sport Controllers.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused.

-Jeremy
Old 05-25-2018, 03:06 PM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
^^^ Same issue.

nwGTS, from looking over your screenshots you have provided, it seems you have multiple Drivers installed at the same time which will cause a conflict. Please uninstall the BOTTOM TWO drivers as shown on your screen shot (labeled 3/28/16 and 9/27/17) in order to resolve the conflict. There can only be ONE DRIVER installed for the COM port in order to communicate the DSC Sport Controller correctly. For you and anyone else with the same conflict, please refer to the PDF in the next post. This PDF outlines the method, the common errors, and the fix! Hope this helps!

-Jeremy
Old 05-25-2018, 03:16 PM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Attached is a PDF we have made for DSC Sport Users to troubleshoot and resolve common driver errors. We are currently working on the downloading method on the DSC Sport website to prevent these common errors.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
DSC Sport Driver Guide.pdf (924.3 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:20 PM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

We have put this video together as well to help configure the Tuning Software and correct drivers. If you have issue communicating to your DSC Sport controller, please review this video as well as the PDF above before proceeding.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks for this video, Jeremy. Worked for me.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:03 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
I have been following the success of the DSC module with great interest since the introduction in 2015. I would like to re-ask a question that was addressed in POST #33, way back at the beginning: Does anyone have some real world comparisons between running the DSC with OEM PASM shocks, versus installing a Moton (or other good quality) double adjustable remote cannister shock? I have a nicely set up 2007 GT3, double adjustable Motons:

I blew out a seal on one, so I pulled them off and sent out for rebuild and dyno. I stuck the OEM PASM shocks back in so the car could still drive, and recently got the Moton's back. While the OEM shocks are already back in there, it got me thinking about what would be faster, OEM's on DSC, or putting the Motons back in. I am an intermediate DE driver, not afraid to use the curbs, and the car, while it has a license plate, is basically a dedicated track car. For driving style, typical 2:25 lap at COTA:

https://vimeo.com/89976565

Any updates or thoughts about DSC versus manual adjustables? Thanks!

Pictures removed to save space.

Has anyone experimented with this? Looking at options for my .2, would love the easy plug and play if it's comparable to a double/triple adjustable conventional set up.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:50 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Pictures removed to save space.

Has anyone experimented with this? Looking at options for my .2, would love the easy plug and play if it's comparable to a double/triple adjustable conventional set up.

Its not a straight forward comparison, I am afraid. Installing DSC alone optimizes the performance of the OEM PASM shocks and springs. Hundreds of DSC users attested to that DSC alone is a big improvement in both track performance and street comfort. So how does it compare to motorsport level double/triple adjustable coilovers you ask? Well, that depends on how well they are adjusted for a track and to a driver. Just as an example, any double/triple adjustable coilovers can be adjusted so far out of whack that stock dampers would have been better balanced. Since DSC is actively adjusting to the conditions it eliminates the element of having less than ideal static mechanic damper settings for the conditions. DSC's active adjusting feature makes the car more stable at a faster pace than the OEM controller. As good as DSC is, however, when trying to make comparison to motorsport double/triple the limitation is not in the DSC electronics itself but rather in the OEM mass-produced road car shocks and road car soft springs. DSC does makes the OEM shocks and springs more versatile from road comfort to track performance but electronic technology in this case cannot make up for a fresh set of single-purpose designed double/triple adjustable coilovers that are equipped with much stiffer springs that cost like 5x more than a DSC box sending commands to OEM shocks & springs that came with the car, unless the mechanical coilovers are badly adjusted. Even between the different brands of top-tier double/triple adjustable coilovers the best lap time of a day is usually more of the function of the setting rather than the brand presuming spring rates and chassis setup is comparable.

Now add a set of Tractive DDA coilovers and you'll have a setup that can compete and win against other top-tiers coilovers at national competition level.

I feel like a broken record...LOL
Old 05-29-2018, 06:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Its not a straight forward comparison, I am afraid. Installing DSC alone optimizes the performance of the OEM PASM shocks and springs. Hundreds of DSC users attested to that DSC alone is a big improvement in both track performance and street comfort. So how does it compare to motorsport level double/triple adjustable coilovers you ask? Well, that depends on how well they are adjusted for a track and to a driver. Just as an example, any double/triple adjustable coilovers can be adjusted so far out of whack that stock dampers would have been better balanced. Since DSC is actively adjusting to the conditions it eliminates the element of having less than ideal static mechanic damper settings for the conditions. DSC's active adjusting feature makes the car more stable at a faster pace than the OEM controller. As good as DSC is, however, when trying to make comparison to motorsport double/triple the limitation is not in the DSC electronics itself but rather in the OEM mass-produced road car shocks and road car soft springs. DSC does makes the OEM shocks and springs more versatile from road comfort to track performance but electronic technology in this case cannot make up for a fresh set of single-purpose designed double/triple adjustable coilovers that are equipped with much stiffer springs that cost like 5x more than a DSC box sending commands to OEM shocks & springs that came with the car, unless the mechanical coilovers are badly adjusted. Even between the different brands of top-tier double/triple adjustable coilovers the best lap time of a day is usually more of the function of the setting rather than the brand presuming spring rates and chassis setup is comparable.

Now add a set of Tractive DDA coilovers and you'll have a setup that can compete and win against other top-tiers coilovers at national competition level.

I feel like a broken record...LOL
I have to agree with Tom, the one reason I have never spent the money on 2/3 way adjustables is that I simply do not have the skillset for my ***-o-meter to interpret the feedback from the car (on a particular track)
and convert that into the appropriate compression/rebound settings for such shocks ... furthermore, as Tom rightly points out, the DSC is continuously adjusting the compression/rebound of the PASM shocks as it
interprets the signals coming back from the various in-car sensors, so it is able to adjust as the car progresses, with a 2/3 way you have to decide on a compromise setting for the shocks that works "well" around
the entire track...

Again, as Tom points out, adding the Tractive DDA's w/DSC allows you, not only to utilize different springs rates etc, but as I recall the Tractive's also 'refresh' significantly faster than OEM PASM so they are
able to adjust to the track quicker and more often than OEM...

I'd be astounded if the same car and driver with Tractive DDA+DSC vs. 2/3 adjustable would not always deliver a faster lap time, all else being equal ...
Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd be astounded if the same car and driver with Tractive DDA+DSC vs. 2/3 adjustable would not always deliver a faster lap time, all else being equal ...
I think the info below serves as pretty good reference at VIR. There are some very good drivers here and many factors can change the outcome on any race track but DSC/Tractive can throwdown among the competition in the lap times.

997.1 GT3 street car converted to a NASA GTSU class race car, DSC/Tractive, TPC sway bars, comparable chassis setup to Cup (Lap time 1:56.43)

PCA Club Racing GTC4 class(997.1 Cup) and GTC5 class(997.2 Cup).
Old 06-02-2018, 10:35 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Tom - quick Question: Are the PASM connectors polarised?

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM