OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:07 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBraking
My car is currently at TPC getting this done. Interested in seeing the results for myself once I get it back.
Excellent..... May I ask what car is it going on and what spring rates you opted for ?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:13 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Excellent..... May I ask what car is it going on and what spring rates you opted for ?
997.1 GT3. As for the spring rates, I'm not sure, I left the decisions in Tom's hands. I figured with their knowledge behind the Tractive shocks and DSC it'd be best to let them handle it.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 969 Likes on 534 Posts

997 GT2 with Cup 2s, solid links everywhere, stock suspension settings, full DSC Tractive package with Swift 616lb rear 336lb springs.

This car is ultimate 800hp daily driver, set up for response with 1.4 bar by 3200rpm.

Just picked it up after having some service work done and I took a passenger seat test drive with shop owner Phil Hindley who is an accomplished and experienced 911 racer.

From the passenger seat the incredible suppleness of the ride is even more apparent it really soaks up the ruts and bumps yet when some G is loaded in it firms up instantly. Phil was very impressed with it and was commenting on how it felt like it was making a lot more grip with this set up and is a real improvement in putting the power down, I’ve no doubt he will be recommending it to other clients – well done TPC

library pic
Thank you for your feedback and for the photo. I love how DSC seamlessly sets the damping on turbo cars getting on boost with the driver feeling the exhilaration but the chassis is so hooked up. The GT Sliver is stunning!

I test drove a stock PASM car today after doing routine service work. Man, I have been completely spoiled by DSC/Tractive suspension that driving this car was just no joy.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 05-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

May I ask what car is it going on and what spring rates you opted for ?
On LateBraking's 997.1 GT3 we are installing the same spring rate as yours. Swift 60/100nm (336/616 in-lbs). These springs with our spec preload as they were set on your Tractive coilovers are lovely to drive on street and track.

Edit for typo: I meant Swift 60/110nm (336/616 in-lbs).

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 05-16-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-16-2016, 05:39 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Any chassis tuning method can be situational. If the situation is such that the front is under damped, then by increasing damping force the front will have better grip. Another example is some tires grip better with higher pressure than others. Even with the driver taking a different line, delaying or advancing brake/throttle can triggering a different results or just back to the example of the particular tire with X amount of tire pressure happens to works better with more damping force. There are many variables. That's why race engineers get paid the big bucks during race events to determine best course of action for the given situation with all variables in consideration(driver included).
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Tom. It actually prompted me to rethink what I was experiencing, and as it turns out, it was more complicated than I originally thought.

Stiffening the DSC in the front (relative to the rear) did make the initial turn-in feel sharper, but right afterwards, the front would come out (understeer). And so I went back to stiffer rear>front, and the understeer is gone.

I think I have everything dialed in where I want it now. Thanks, Tom and to everyone at TPC for making this wonderful product.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Stiffening the DSC in the front (relative to the rear) did make the initial turn-in feel sharper, but right afterwards, the front would come out (understeer). And so I went back to stiffer rear>front, and the understeer is gone.
Well done! Proper use of DSC to custom tune for corner entry and for exit.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Thank you for your feedback and for the photo. I love how DSC seamlessly sets the damping on turbo cars getting on boost with the driver feeling the exhilaration but the chassis is so hooked up. The GT Sliver is stunning!

I test drove a stock PASM car today after doing routine service work. Man, I have been completely spoiled by DSC/Tractive suspension that driving this car was just no joy.
I don't have quite as much power as you, so I wouldn't know about having to hook up turbo power. However, I do have a disk bulge in my spine, and on my 4.5 hour drive back home across all sorts of roads from rough to unpaved gravel paths (stupid Apple iPhone navigation took me on all sorts of dumb routes), I only had back pain on two instances, instead of two long sections of road. So far, color me impressed.

Also acted like a little bit of a goof on some curvy sections of road, it just feels like the car tightens up around you. I could write something more thorough but I'm not sure if this is the thread for it.

Stock is okay. DSC is much better than stock. So are JRZs, which are probably my usual go-to. DSC combined with Tractive is fantastic though.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LateBraking
I don't have quite as much power as you, so I wouldn't know about having to hook up turbo power. However, I do have a disk bulge in my spine, and on my 4.5 hour drive back home across all sorts of roads from rough to unpaved gravel paths (stupid Apple iPhone navigation took me on all sorts of dumb routes), I only had back pain on two instances, instead of two long sections of road. So far, color me impressed.
We are very glad to hear your return trip with the new suspension was noticeably more compliant than the drive in. It really means a lot to us that the new compliance will allow you to enjoy your GT3 more. Your impression of the results is of very high regard to me personally. Thank you.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

WOW I am glad I found this thread. 18 pages?!

I have a lot of reading to do (currently only on page 2). I just acquired a car (06 Cayman w/factory PASM) that appears to have a DSC sport box on it. I know it's not on the stock PASM shocks, I *think* it's Bilsteins but might be the DDA's (long story short about WHY I don't know... bought the car as a carcass, kept some parts, replaced a lot of others... shocks and the DSC box were kept, and I know the shop that did the build for me said "looks like Bilsteins... you want to keep these or you want us to toss in JRZ's instead?" I opted to keep what was there vs. spend more money on JRZ's.)

Is there perhaps a manual or something somewhere that I can download? I've been able to figure out there are different "modes", as well as opportunities for uploads, etc... but I have 0 idea on how to interact with it or do any of that.

Thanks in advance (and I'll keep reading....)

Jim
Old 05-31-2016, 06:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

So thanks to this thread, and the link to the 997 installation guide, I learned that the little black box with the "DSC Sport" sticker on it is actually the accelerometer... that is supposed to be mounted flat and oriented such that the little chevrons in the logo on the sticker are aimed towards the front of the car.

On my car, the little box is just dangling and bouncing around (from the previous owner who installed it).

At Road America over this past weekend I was having a hard time braking into T12 and T14, as there are bumps in the braking zones. Car would POUND over them and get into ABS unless I braked early.

I wonder if this little box bobbing around was part of the problem....
Old 05-31-2016, 06:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
So thanks to this thread, and the link to the 997 installation guide, I learned that the little black box with the "DSC Sport" sticker on it is actually the accelerometer... that is supposed to be mounted flat and oriented such that the little chevrons in the logo on the sticker are aimed towards the front of the car.

On my car, the little box is just dangling and bouncing around (from the previous owner who installed it).

At Road America over this past weekend I was having a hard time braking into T12 and T14, as there are bumps in the braking zones. Car would POUND over them and get into ABS unless I braked early.

I wonder if this little box bobbing around was part of the problem....
TOTALLY! the accelerometer *NEEDS* to be statically oriented along the major axis (roll, pitch, yaw) of the car in order to provide the proper inputs to the
DSC for it to calculate the appropriate inputs to the PASM shocks ... given
that the accelerometer was neither attached nor oriented to the car properly
the inputs would pretty much like rolling a set of dice in a blender... my guess
is that in the presence of 'nonsense' inputs the behavior of the DSC would be
to put the suspension into full stiff
Old 05-31-2016, 06:35 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
TOTALLY! the accelerometer *NEEDS* to be statically oriented along the major axis (roll, pitch, yaw) of the car in order to provide the proper inputs to the
DSC for it to calculate the appropriate inputs to the PASM shocks ... given
that the accelerometer was neither attached nor oriented to the car properly
the inputs would pretty much like rolling a set of dice in a blender... my guess
is that in the presence of 'nonsense' inputs the behavior of the DSC would be
to put the suspension into full stiff

Now I know what I'm going to mess with when I get home from work tonight LOL.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:43 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Just looked at a pic I snapped of the box (so I could remember to research it later)... it was definitely mounted mostly backwards (chevrons pointed towards the rear) and otherwise just kinda wedged under a chunk of wiring harness in the rear hatch area.

The box applying suspension adjustments thinking the car was going in reverse is I'm sure gonna mess with things a little... not to mention right/left being backwards!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:14 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok so there was actually some velcro buried under the harness, the DSC sport box was "affixed" but it WAS backwards. The chevrons were aiming towards the rear of the car vs the front. I flipped it around and made sure it was tight.

I did notice that there was a black wire on the harness to the box that had an eyelet crimped on it, but was not connected to anything. Based on the length, etc it looks like it went to a nearby grounding post.

Safe to assume that black wire is a ground?

I noticed if I pressed the shock button on the dash (it's always lit solid) it (repeatedly) blinks twice, and if I press it again, it (repeatedly) blinks three times. Press it again and the light stays solid.

I assume that's the 3 "modes"? Street, Sport, and Track?
Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ok so there was actually some velcro buried under the harness, the DSC sport box was "affixed" but it WAS backwards. The chevrons were aiming towards the rear of the car vs the front. I flipped it around and made sure it was tight.

I did notice that there was a black wire on the harness to the box that had an eyelet crimped on it, but was not connected to anything. Based on the length, etc it looks like it went to a nearby grounding post.

Safe to assume that black wire is a ground?

I noticed if I pressed the shock button on the dash (it's always lit solid) it (repeatedly) blinks twice, and if I press it again, it (repeatedly) blinks three times. Press it again and the light stays solid.

I assume that's the 3 "modes"? Street, Sport, and Track?
Aye black is ground.

Aye. Solid is street, blink is sport, double blink is track. I think.

Send it in for an update. TPC now has only two modes, street and track, with each mode covering a larger range of activities. It also talks to the dash now so the PASM stuff shows up like stock.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM