Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 04:33 PM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Congrats for winning the Gold Cup class at Road America, guys! I assume you're using the DSC in your Cup car if it's even allowed. If so, Is anyone else using the TPC DSC besides you? Would you even sell it to them if they did want it? I suppose Platinum and Gold don't compete.
Thank you! It was a great weekend for us!

We are running the DSC/Tractive system on our #36 GT3 Cup Car running in the Gold class (Platinum does not allow us to run the system yet, as shocks are still sealed).

We would absolutely sell the system to other teams. If someone is going to beat us, it might as well be with our own product! That's the best kind of competition from our perspective.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:43 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just some input for the group

I have Tractive DDA shocks and run DSC Module with the newer firmware

Just back from a road trip where another driver in a similar car running OEM PASM system constantly reported bottoming out mine felt planted the entire time

The new firmware (2 modes rather than 3) must have a significantly broader dynamic range. Many of the roads we traveled were rough and bumpy. I initially I could not quite work out what was going on as the feel was significantly different from PASM but after a while I realised the system response time was constantly keeping the contact patches in play and the car felt more "alive" for want of a better word.

It never put a foot wrong, corners where some understeer, due to washboard pavement, could previously have been expected did not upset the car at all.

I now have new limits to explore

For mine, this is a great system

Thanks to Mike and Tom for their assistance in getting this set up for me.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:28 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by modoz61
Just some input for the group

I have Tractive DDA shocks and run DSC Module with the newer firmware

Just back from a road trip where another driver in a similar car running OEM PASM system constantly reported bottoming out mine felt planted the entire time

The new firmware (2 modes rather than 3) must have a significantly broader dynamic range. Many of the roads we traveled were rough and bumpy. I initially I could not quite work out what was going on as the feel was significantly different from PASM but after a while I realised the system response time was constantly keeping the contact patches in play and the car felt more "alive" for want of a better word.

It never put a foot wrong, corners where some understeer, due to washboard pavement, could previously have been expected did not upset the car at all.

I now have new limits to explore

For mine, this is a great system

Thanks to Mike and Tom for their assistance in getting this set up for me.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We are honored that you like the new firmware. The new 2-mode firmware have what we named "Revers G Table" to keep the car planted and compliant at lower g loads. The g values to trigger any change is user tune-able should the user have different criteria than us. The Reverse G Table is truly revolutionary. The transition to higher g loads to completely seamless. After driving the DSC and Tractive DDA combinations, it makes everything else that I road test at the shop for routine work feel obsolete. With such suspension technology available and the support for it, it brings me back to the time when tune-able electronic fuel injection was replacing carburetors. Gotta love the power of modern electronics.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 08-20-2016, 07:59 PM
ttdan
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Apologies if this has been covered in the thread somewhere but i have read through and not seen it. I have aquired a used unit which is the three mode version. For some reason i cant get back into mode 1 unless the car is stationary, is this the way it should be? On the move i can go from 1 to 2 to 3 but subsequent prods of the button just cycles between 2 and 3. Car is a '10 RS.

Second question is about the two mode firmware? I get the bit where it's working more OEM like regards the dash indications but are the actual programs any different on improved because of this? I actually think having three modes is preferable for my uses.

Many thanks
Old 08-21-2016, 02:25 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
4) It is very useful to have another "layer" of chassis tuning via adjustable sway bars with ideal adjustment range for a particular vehicle to set basic front-to-rear balance. With our current system for the 997 chassis I view the bar adjustment as an outter layer of an onion for coarse tuning, whereas I view the damper tuning is the inner layer for fine tuning. Its hard to explain, when we do track testings sometimes the pro drivers request sway bar change while other times they request damper setting change solely based on the driver's personal preferences,
Hi Tom, do you recommend any further changes to the TPC default tables if we have swaybars (assuming they're already adjusted to balance front/rear balance). I'm guessing that lateral g's would need less dampener stiffening, since the swaybars are already resisting chassis roll...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ttdan
Apologies if this has been covered in the thread somewhere but i have read through and not seen it. I have aquired a used unit which is the three mode version. For some reason i cant get back into mode 1 unless the car is stationary, is this the way it should be?
I have never heard of this issue before. If this issue didn't occur on the previous car, then I'd recommend unplugging the unit, visually inspect the connector pins, then leave the unit unplugged for few hours(to clear the buffer) then install the unit again(make sure ignition key is out).

Originally Posted by ttdan
Second question is about the two mode firmware? I get the bit where it's working more OEM like regards the dash indications but are the actual programs any different on improved because of this? I actually think having three modes is preferable for my uses.
1) The 2-mode firmware is much more refined in its operation; like the difference between iphone 4 and iphone 6.
2) Current DSC Tuning Software doesn't support older 3-mode firmware for 997. So if you prefer 3-mode you have to like it as is, since tuning custom tuning isn't currently supported for this version.
3) The 2-mode firmware has a feature called Reverse G Table. Within a user defined range of g force and within is user defined rate of g force change, the use can define a default damping % for comfort. For example, you can make the damping resistance to be only 1% when g force is under 0.3g and with less than 20% g rate change for comfort. But if you exceed 0.3g and/or exceed the 20% rate of change the system will command with the values that are in the "normal" G Table. This is truly revolutionary next-gen supercars technology that you can have today!

I think any one with 3-mode should take advantage of our free upgrade to 2-mode while the offer stands. I am not pushing this to make money since we actually don't 'cause we do it for free. If anything its more work for us. It is a truly better product that we want DSC users to experience. For upgrade, the unit must be sent to our shop. Senders pays shipping cost.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Hi Tom, do you recommend any further changes to the TPC default tables if we have swaybars (assuming they're already adjusted to balance front/rear balance). I'm guessing that lateral g's would need less dampener stiffening, since the swaybars are already resisting chassis roll...
I would not make any adjustment until you drive the car and experience a characteristic you want to change since drivers have different driving styles, different drivers take different lines for a given turn that changes the response of the car, and their are unknown variables to us like the grip of the tires/brakes on the car, etc. Please remember that with DSC we are not doing "static" damper tuning, instead DSC is dynamic damper tuning mainly via g force. So if you have sway bars or tires or other items that increases lateral g then DSC will command the dampers with the values for the increased g. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you're driving on wet track DSC will dynamically reduce the damping values for the reduced g of the wet grip condition.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I think any one with 3-mode should take advantage of our free upgrade to 2-mode while the offer stands. I am not pushing this to make money since we actually don't 'cause we do it for free. If anything its more work for us. It is a truly better product that we want DSC users to experience. For upgrade, the unit must be sent to our shop. Senders pays shipping cost.
Free?

Hmm.

Will the car run without any box installed? I do not have the stock unit (purchased car used with DSC already installed). Something big blew up in the car at the track yesterday (motor or trans, not sure yet... big THUD followed by silence) so it's gonna be down for a while. I can pull the box and ship it down to you guys for an upgrade BUT I don't want to make the car inoperable at the shop if/when they find time to dig into what broke.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Free?

Hmm.

Will the car run without any box installed? I do not have the stock unit (purchased car used with DSC already installed). Something big blew up in the car at the track yesterday (motor or trans, not sure yet... big THUD followed by silence) so it's gonna be down for a while. I can pull the box and ship it down to you guys for an upgrade BUT I don't want to make the car inoperable at the shop if/when they find time to dig into what broke.
it will throw a PASM malfunction code, and PASM will not be functional, it will
be operable, but not for anything more than maneuvering it around the shop,
i.e no road/track driving would be recommended...

fedex it overnight to TPC, you'll have it back in a flash (pun intended)
Old 08-23-2016, 01:58 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
it will throw a PASM malfunction code, and PASM will not be functional, it will
be operable, but not for anything more than maneuvering it around the shop,
i.e no road/track driving would be recommended...

fedex it overnight to TPC, you'll have it back in a flash (pun intended)
Awesome.

I might find myself down at the shop on Saturday. If I do, I'll try to pull it while I'm down there.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Awesome.

I might find myself down at the shop on Saturday. If I do, I'll try to pull it while I'm down there.
what I dont know is if the PASM fault will clear when you reinstall or if you will need to externally clear the fault codes with PIWIS/Durametric.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

what I dont know is if the PASM fault will clear when you reinstall or if you will need to externally clear the fault codes with PIWIS/Durametric.
I'd imagine with a blown engine they'll be a few more faults than PASM to worry about.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

That's fine. I have a Durametric and they have PIWIS.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Plugging DSC module from the harness connector will cause the instrument to display "PASM Fault". The shocks will default to full stiff with no module plugged into the connector. It is okay to move the car around in a shop or in a parking lot without a module plugged in. I have even dyno tested and driven short distance trips without a module plugged in. But don't do any track events or autoX or drive aggressively without a module plugged in because full stiff shocks make the car handle badly!

The PASM Fault message will clear for the next key on/off cycle after module is plugged in.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:25 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Plugging DSC module from the harness connector will cause the instrument to display "PASM Fault". The shocks will default to full stiff with no module plugged into the connector. It is okay to move the car around in a shop or in a parking lot without a module plugged in. I have even dyno tested and driven short distance trips without a module plugged in. But don't do any track events or autoX or drive aggressively without a module plugged in because full stiff shocks make the car handle badly!

The PASM Fault message will clear for the next key on/off cycle after module is plugged in.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM