Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:11 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

So much car fanboy action here - love it

I would be happy to run a Z/28, Sypder, RS4.0, and my .1 GT3 back to back at LS if someone wants to loan me the other test cases.

And I wont miss apexes by a mile either ;-)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=orthojoe;11622754]Just another point of view. From behind.

Well done Sir!, Love the 3 camera setup, you could however use some help resizing and placing the other camera's footage.

Can't wait to come across a Camaro at Mosport....
Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS

Well done Sir!, Love the 3 camera setup, you could however use some help resizing and placing the other camera's footage.

Can't wait to come across a Camaro at Mosport....
Thanks.

If you come across a Camaro at Mosport, capture some video and for gods sakes, MAKE SURE that you ask him if he went WOT on the straight and didn't short shift. Get some SOLID proof of that. Don't forget to take a picture of his face when you ask those questions too.

That camera view was a screw up. I forgot to switch the camera back to wide view mode. This is the normal 'setup':
Old 09-03-2014, 10:00 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks. If you come across a Camaro at Mosport, capture some video and for gods sakes, MAKE SURE that you ask him if he went WOT on the straight and didn't short shift. Get some SOLID proof of that. Don't forget to take a picture of his face when you ask those questions too. That camera view was a screw up. I forgot to switch the camera back to wide view mode. This is the normal 'setup': <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onaez6jCzNU">YouTube Link</a>
Joe,
A good friend in a 10yr old z06 passed the 991 gt3 that was at Barber multiple times three weekends ago. Haku posted some pics from the weekend. Remember that? He said the driver was going easy due to it being new. So no big deal. Maybe thtas what's going on here with the z28. Also the zr1 at Barber that folks were bragging about the 991 gt3 keeping up with, well it was driven by one of the event organizers. He was just cruising around in the intermediate grp to make sure drivers were playing nice AND he likely had some corded tires. Things aren't always as they seem.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by paver
Joe, A good friend in a 10yr old z06 passed the 991 gt3 that was at Barber multiple times three weekends ago. Haku posted some pics from the weekend. Remember that? He said the driver was going easy due to it being new. So no big deal. Maybe thtas what's going on here with the z28. Also the zr1 at Barber that folks were bragging about the 991 gt3 keeping up with, well it was driven by one of the event organizers. He was just cruising around in the intermediate grp to make sure drivers were playing nice AND he likely had some corded tires. Things aren't always as they seem.
Not going to deny that is a possibility. I would say if you saw him driving most of the day like I did, that your proposed scenario is unlikely. There was most definitely some red mist going on with the z/28 and a particular boxster that was going faster than me. In any case, the driver skill is NOT the point. The lap time is NOT the point. Z/28 is a more capable car than a boxster, obviously. Merely talking about straight line speed only and why it wasn't as impressive as one would think.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just another point of view. From behind.

I had a close encounter with a Z/28 this past weekend at Laguna Seca.
It's a big car.
I've had my suspicions that the car has problems with running too hot, which will compromise performance and reliability. Car and Driver did an article that had the car running hot after only 3 laps. Some forum members have reported high temps as well.
Below is video of a Z/28 that was in front of me. I don't know who the driver is, but supposedly he's a real racer (unlike me) and knows what he's doing. The power down the straights was not nearly as impressive as I thought it would be. Keep these things in mind while watching the video:

1) pay closer attention to the view on the bottom left. The tow hook view on top is running wide angle, so the distance gap being shown is not accurate. The bottom left view is using the standard lens, so there is no distortion
2) I only have 320hp
3) The BMW M4 pulls harder away from me than the Z/28
4) The first drag race at 1:32 shows the car walking away, but not at the pace you would expect for a 505hp car
5) The 2nd drag race at 3:17 shows the same.

My personal conclusions are that either the car makes less power than advertised, or that heat soak is slowing the car down significantly. IMO, a car made for track days should be reliable lap after lap without any issues with heat. I haven't heard of anyone with heat issues in the new GT3 or the old GT3.
Your car sounds glorious Joe!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:49 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

I felt the same away about the GT3 when I first encountered one many years ago while driving an E46 M3. And here I am....with a different opinion a few years later.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

I think some wrencher will put a supercharger in the z28 at some point and be doing 170 mph by the time it's at the checkerflag station at thill and literally brake from there. If z28 is like the old zo6 with a good driver and a small tune it walks bigtime. Crazy trq when I was a passenger in the zo6. Mike
Old 09-03-2014, 11:24 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL. Thanks.
My point isn't to criticize the driver, but the car itself. Seems slow down the straights, no?
Easy-- not sure if anyone else has answered the question, but my guess is he is not a pro /real race like you were told -- also he is probably 2-3 gears higher (hence lack of straight line speed acceleration) then he should be because he is not use to the tq on the car. Simple really.

p.s. i only watched him take turn 2-5 then shut it off as i can tell right away he is an amateur. same **** will happen w 991 owners. i see plenty of current gt3 owners at the track whom my wife can corner better then. Some are 991 owners. Lar, no, not you, sen-sei.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:33 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Joe, great stuff as always. It's clear who the better DRIVER is.

As far as fanboys and talking sh*t, shall we talk about Z/28s missing apexes, spinning, less-than-uhh-great-driving, etc.? I couldn't care less if you were an "instructor" or not. Or shall we talk about Tony Stewart instead???
Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
he is probably 2-3 gears higher (hence lack of straight line speed acceleration) then he should be because he is not use to the tq on the car. Simple really.
2-3 gears higher? Why would anyone exit turn 11 in 5th gear? Or 4th gear for that matter? The guy is not a pro driver, but he's not a horrible driver.

p.s. i only watched him take turn 2-5 then shut it off as i can tell right away he is an amateur. same **** will happen w 991 owners. i see plenty of current gt3 owners at the track whom my wife can corner better then. Some are 991 owners. Lar, no, not you, sen-sei.
Ai yai yai. The Driver is NOT the point. The straight line acceleration going down the main straight after turn 11 is. That is all. Nothing else. Not talking about driver skill. Not talking about lap time. Not talking about corner or apex speed. Nothing else but the drag race down the main straight.

Lesson learned here is that I need to make very short videos specifically for rennlist when I post these type of things because people don't actually read through entire posts and only see what they want to see. LOL!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:57 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

2-3 gears higher? Why would anyone exit turn 11 in 5th gear? Or 4th gear for that matter? The guy is not a pro driver, but he's not a horrible driver.

Ai yai yai. The Driver is NOT the point. The straight line acceleration going down the main straight after turn 11 is. That is all. Nothing else. Not talking about driver skill. Not talking about lap time. Not talking about corner or apex speed. Nothing else but the drag race down the main straight.

Lesson learned here is that I need to make very short videos specifically for rennlist when I post these type of things because people don't actually read through entire posts and only see what they want to see. LOL!
your whole post is just to instigate from the get go. Their is nothing wrong with the z/28. Why would he be 2-3 gears higher : Can't handle the tq ? learning to drive ? trying to focus on learning to corner / brakes ? ask mikymu why he drives his z06 1 or 2 gears higher in his z06 then he could... i drive 1 gear higher normally vs. if i were hot lapping at thill mind you ( i lap mid 1:50's ) but if you were chasing me, you would be posting that my gt3 is slow in a straight line... why do i do that ? because i can give a rats about straight-line speed. I'm focusing on my braking zone / turn in / carrying speed. Was he trying to accomplish the same but with not so good results ? appears to me that is the case...sorry i don't buy it he was in the right gear for straight line speed acceleration. Period.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
your whole post is just to instigate from the get go.
Not gonna deny it. I'm not convinced the z/28 is all it's been marketed to be. I knew people would disagree.

Their is nothing wrong with the z/28. Why would he be 2-3 gears higher : Can't handle the tq ? learning to drive ? trying to focus on learning to corner / brakes ? ask mikymu why he drives his z06 1 or 2 gears higher in his z06 then he could... i drive 1 gear higher normally vs. if i were hot lapping at thill mind you ( i lap mid 1:50's ) but if you were chasing me, you would be posting that my gt3 is slow in a straight line... why do i do that ? because i can give a rats about straight-line speed. I'm focusing on my braking zone / turn in / carrying speed. Was he trying to accomplish the same but with not so good results ? appears to me that is the case...sorry i don't buy it he was in the right gear for straight line speed acceleration. Period.
Your scenario is possible. I'll buy that he could have been in 3rd instead of 2nd going through turn 11. If you're focused on braking zone/turn in/carrying speed through a corner, though, I'd think you want to be in the right gear to exit properly. Maybe I'm giving the z/28 driver more credit than is due, or maybe I'm right that the heat was slowing the car down. It was hot that day, last session, and at the back 1/2 of the session as well. Is the heat proposition that unreasonable?
Old 09-04-2014, 02:19 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah don't get it. What's your point? I know u didn't like a certain gt3 car when he wouldn't let u pass. Anyway point is a credible driver would waste u- its not even funny. Mike
Old 09-04-2014, 02:27 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Yeah don't get it. What's your point? I know u didn't like a certain gt3 car when he wouldn't let u pass. Anyway point is a credible driver would waste u- its not even funny. Mike
Yes, I'm fully aware that you guys are all more skilled and faster than me. Is that your point?

Read the original post tomorrow morning. It might make sense then.

Quick Reply: The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading