Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 02:24 PM
werks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
Hey just for reference on lap times for a quantitative measurement, what does a IMSA gt3 platinum cup car well driven run at thunder hill? Savy good luck with the z28 can't wait to hear more, as you get more hours.
Fastest that I've found vide of was a pro driven Pirelli Challenge Porsche gt3 that did a 48 flat going over the top. When you are turning 2+ minute laps dropping a few seconds is easy to do, once you get down below say 58's dropping a few seconds is a completely different story.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:32 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by werks
Fastest that I've found vide of was a pro driven Pirelli Challenge Porsche gt3 that did a 48 flat going over the top. When you are turning 2+ minute laps dropping a few seconds is easy to do, once you get down below say 58's dropping a few seconds is a completely different story.
I have muscled 1:55's before in a street car...can't imagine 1:48.. bonkers speed!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just asking very basic, straightforward questions but I can see why it might make some squirm.

I'd be surprised if there are any well-driven 991 Cups running TH but I could be wrong.
Don't be surprised. I've seen Bryce Miller tear it up at Thill in a platinum GT3, running 1:45s (bypass). He has now graduated to the Tudor series in the Paul Miller RSR.

There is usually some fast Cups for the 25 hr of Thill too, practicing for the daytona 24.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:11 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did a 1:52.4 in my 997.1 GT3 Cup over the bypass, and I'm not even comfortable in the car yet, nor is it anywhere near setup the way it should be. I think it should be easy to run a sub 1:50 lap once it's dialed in and the weather is decent.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Forget the bow tie car! What's the Mono going to do at TH?!?!?!!!
Old 06-17-2014, 02:51 AM
werks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I just did a 1:52.4 in my 997.1 GT3 Cup over the bypass, and I'm not even comfortable in the car yet, nor is it anywhere near setup the way it should be. I think it should be easy to run a sub 1:50 lap once it's dialed in and the weather is decent.
For some reason I thought that the 1:52.4 that you did was over the top. Mikymu did a 1:53 in his Z06 via the bypass which when we overlaid our data and played back the lap was basically equal to my 1:55.4 over the top, so there is a 2 1/2 sec. difference between the bypass and over the top. From reviewing video I think that I can quickly cut 2 to possibly 3 seconds by working on a few corners bringing me down to a 1:52.4-53.4 over the top which would be equal to a 1:50-51 via the bypass in our Z06's which are basically modified street cars.

You are an aggressive driver and it's pretty obvious that you are committed to your driving. In your Cup car I have a feeling that you are going to be going faster that you think, like 1:50-51's over the top or 1:47's-48's via the bypass once you get comfortable with the car and get it set up to your liking. Imho the big issue for those running at faster paces nowadays is that the events are so packed that you can not even get in a clean lap without running into a ton of traffic.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:24 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Just need some ***** to get there : ). Don't have them for sure. Famed "mr Harry potter"- rode with one time. Never seem a guy who smiles so much after an off. He asked me "wasn't that fun?". Nevertheless felt safe with him driving. He has giant ***** and freaking fast. Mike
Old 06-17-2014, 10:38 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Forget the bow tie car! What's the Mono going to do at TH?!?!?!!!
At least as fast as Cup laps although not in my hands for quite some time I'm pretty sure. But that will be a different thread And I'll be much more interested to get it on Thunderhill West
Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I mention how nice the shifter feels in the Z/28? Very positive action and never felt balky or missed a shift. Those of us who have tracked GT3's know things can get interesting with the OE setup. I would sometimes have problems with the 2->3 shift in T12->T13 complex at TH. Seems when the car has lateral loads acting on it, it is not happy to shift. As well as 3->2 shift at T11 at LS. And the 2->1 shift is next to impossible when the gearbox is not fully warmed up. Z/28 box no issues, hot or cold.

The major downer so far is lack of any places to attach a tow hook. Glaring oversight by Chevy on that for sure.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Did I mention how nice the shifter feels in the Z/28? Very positive action and never felt balky or missed a shift. Those of us who have tracked GT3's know things can get interesting with the OE setup. I would sometimes have problems with the 2->3 shift in T12->T13 complex at TH. Seems when the car has lateral loads acting on it, it is not happy to shift. As well as 3->2 shift at T11 at LS. And the 2->1 shift is next to impossible when the gearbox is not fully warmed up. Z/28 box no issues, hot or cold.

The major downer so far is lack of any places to attach a tow hook. Glaring oversight by Chevy on that for sure.
No issues shifting, or passing cars with 505 hp with a lot less weight with Hoosiers.

https://vimeo.com/98082514

Last edited by TurboS; 06-19-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

[QUOTE=996FLT6;11446235]Just need some ***** to get there : ). Don't have them for sure. Famed "mr Harry potter"- rode with one time. Never seem a guy who smiles so much after an off. He asked me "wasn't that fun?". Nevertheless felt safe with him driving. He has giant ***** and freaking fast. Mike[/

that dude can drive
lucky me he's got a kid now, less tracking, so my point by finger won't be so tired.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Just another point of view. From behind.

I had a close encounter with a Z/28 this past weekend at Laguna Seca.
It's a big car.
I've had my suspicions that the car has problems with running too hot, which will compromise performance and reliability. Car and Driver did an article that had the car running hot after only 3 laps. Some forum members have reported high temps as well.
Below is video of a Z/28 that was in front of me. I don't know who the driver is, but supposedly he's a real racer (unlike me) and knows what he's doing. The power down the straights was not nearly as impressive as I thought it would be. Keep these things in mind while watching the video:

1) pay closer attention to the view on the bottom left. The tow hook view on top is running wide angle, so the distance gap being shown is not accurate. The bottom left view is using the standard lens, so there is no distortion
2) I only have 320hp
3) The BMW M4 pulls harder away from me than the Z/28
4) The first drag race at 1:32 shows the car walking away, but not at the pace you would expect for a 505hp car
5) The 2nd drag race at 3:17 shows the same.

My personal conclusions are that either the car makes less power than advertised, or that heat soak is slowing the car down significantly. IMO, a car made for track days should be reliable lap after lap without any issues with heat. I haven't heard of anyone with heat issues in the new GT3 or the old GT3.

Edit: if you're late to the show, the point is that the Z/28 is slower down the main straight than one would think. That is ALL. Ignore the actual driving. We aren't making comments about lap times, driver skill, etc. The implication is that something is slowing the z/28 down the main straight, and heat could be the culprit. That's it. Nothing else. Please....

Last edited by orthojoe; 09-04-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:12 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Just another point of view. From behind.

I had a close encounter with a Z/28 this past weekend at Laguna Seca.
It's a big car.
I've had my suspicions that the car has problems with running too hot, which will compromise performance and reliability. Car and Driver did an article that had the car running hot after only 3 laps. Some forum members have reported high temps as well.
Below is video of a Z/28 that was in front of me. I don't know who the driver is, but supposedly he's a real racer (unlike me) and knows what he's doing. The power down the straights was not nearly as impressive as I thought it would be. Keep these things in mind while watching the video:
Never met a real racer who misses apexes by a foot each time - that dude was not driving that car well

Nice driving on your part though
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Never met a real racer who misses apexes by a foot each time - that dude was not driving that car well

Nice driving on your part though
LOL. Thanks.
My point isn't to criticize the driver, but the car itself. Seems slow down the straights, no?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:33 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Me neither at all, I am no vettel and don't throw stones, but if you want to comp car against car the driver's have to net out first, and your line is better than his so car performance is tough to check

T11 - he apexes slower than you,

little later on t3 he is all out of sorts and doesn't get into the go pedal until you are flat out for a bit already

T4 - he misses the apex by a bit, but looks like hes into the throttle around the right time and puts some real distance on you that is the only indication I see that his HP can really pull on you

He gets T6 very wrong so that straight isn't great to check for hp advantage, if you don't grab that offcamber goodness at the apex you cant rocket out

I ADHD'ed out by that point and stopped watching.

Quick Reply: The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading