Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

Unemotional, calm statement of facts: The driver of the Silver Z/28 is a super nice guy, courteous and level-headed driver and only has 12 track days experience in a Mercedes (Black Series). That Sonoma video was his first time with Z on track, and he failed to previously bed in his brakes and had a soft pedal at that event. Furthermore- on Sat he was not on OE tires, he thought he needed to swap them out for his drive up from Austin. Sun had the Trofeos back on and brakes bedded. So he had a new car to learn with a lot of variables thrown in and is a relative newbie to tracking.

PS if you see this guy at the track go say hi, he is a tallll guy, his name is Ray. We were doing lead/follow at TH this weekend because he never drove there before. I thought he was superb at managing faster traffic and quick and courteous to get them by. Just as a side note I much more appreciate in my trackmates situational awareness vs turning fast laps...lol
Yup, I met Ray he is 6'5" would barely fit in a std GT3RS, he was at beginner speed I would say, not just lack of experience but just smart taking his time feeling out the car and making sure he got out of the way of faster traffic. Either way I can say for sure he was not driving the car hard at all.. Much more than 10 seconds off the pace at Thunderhill, more like 20 probably.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the spin video:

Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Pete,

Obviously somewhat speculative, but what does the Z28 do better than the lighter ZO6/7? Or what won't the Vette do better once it's available?

Are you considering one?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Unemotional, calm statement of facts: The driver of the Silver Z/28 is a super nice guy, courteous and level-headed driver and only has 12 track days experience in a Mercedes (Black Series). That Sonoma video was his first time with Z on track, and he failed to previously bed in his brakes and had a soft pedal at that event. Furthermore- on Sat he was not on OE tires, he thought he needed to swap them out for his drive up from Austin. Sun had the Trofeos back on and brakes bedded. So he had a new car to learn with a lot of variables thrown in and is a relative newbie to tracking.

So the real question is, why are you only 10 secs a lap quicker?
My apologies to Ray, as my intent was not to insult him. I'm fully aware of the fact that the car was not being driven to the best of his or the cars abilities. My intent was to point out that
a) since the cars were not being driven to full potential, claims of heat durability are premature
b) the mere presence of the car on track does not mean automatic destruction of everything else. I'd rather not go back and rehash my arguments with mike.

I'll be the first to admit I'm still not driving the spyder at it's full potential and more time can be had. That being said, 1:52 at Sonoma on NT01s, front LCAs, and PF08 pads is not a shabby time for a relatively stock car. Are you saying that it is?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:52 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Guest89
Pete,

Obviously somewhat speculative, but what does the Z28 do better than the lighter ZO6/7? Or what won't the Vette do better once it's available?

Are you considering one?
Currently I am not considering one but I'm keenly interested. Kindly bear in mind, as a preface to my reply, I started the original new Corvette thread on this forum, and i love what GM did

But no one can answer your question (yet).

1. It remains to be seen exactly how the new Vette equipped (coolers, type of diff, etc etc). so more facts needed.
2. Faster laps are not proportional to driving enjoyment. No one know what the new car feels like.
3. No one (factually) knows the price of the Vette.
4. How durable or fragile will it be?
5. The devil is in the details, and the Z/28 details were sussed out with performance not cost in mind- Engineer was asked to "make it fast not cheap". Will the same apply to the Z06? No one knows.
6. Supercharged vs NA power, there is a lot that needs to be experienced in real-life there (nature of powerband,durability, heat stress, etc). Remember a GT2RS only provides full boost until it get a little warm, then you no longer have that 620hp
7. The Z/28 is here now, today. The Z06 is when? Who knows?
8. Z/28 will always be in limited supply (relatively speaking). Exclusivity. The Z06 will be built in the 10's of thousands.

I've always made my car choices by what grabs in the gut and the Z/28 grabs and the Vette does not. There will always be a faster car and it not the race to be the fastest that interests me, it's in value offer for the intended purpose
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

So Pete,looking back at the video,have you figured out why you spun?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'll be the first to admit I'm still not driving the spyder at it's full potential and more time can be had. That being said, 1:52 at Sonoma on NT01s, front LCAs, and PF08 pads is not a shabby time for a relatively stock car. Are you saying that it is?
Not at all Mr. Joe, just poking you with the stick purely for sporting harassment

Originally Posted by neanicu
So Pete,looking back at the video,have you figured out why you spun?
It looks to me to have broken loose the moment it touched the painted white line? So I would say I had the maximum load applied to the contact patch for the friction offered by the asphalt, and then bad things happened upon contact with the paint.

Nothing was happening at that moment with my control inputs other than application of full throttle and holding steering input.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Nothing was happening at that moment with my control inputs other than application of full throttle and holding steering input.
Looks like you were running wide of many of the apexes, forcing you to hold more steering angle than ideal on exits. Guessing new car and illness were contributing factors. JMHO.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Honestly,does the Z28 understeer a bit?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Thank you for the great write up. All I can say is that "the good ol boys" have stepped it up big time!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nizer
Looks like you were running wide of many of the apexes, forcing you to hold more steering angle than ideal on exits. Guessing new car and illness were contributing factors. JMHO.
No doubt to all the above, my lines were sloppy. Lots of contributing factors. Live, learn, fight another day.

Well, I'm finally in The Club now then aren't I ?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:58 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
Honestly,does the Z28 understeer a bit?
No reason at all to lie. Answer: No. It was very, very neutral under any condition except power-on corner exit when power oversteer was of course freely available should one desire it.

Much easier to drive than GT3, no need for trailbrake to plant the nose on corner entry as I was used to doing.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Not at all Mr. Joe, just poking you with the stick purely for sporting harassment
carry on, with the harassment, then!

Nice 'off' in the z/28. I did something similar not too long ago:

Old 06-10-2014, 02:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

No reason at all to lie. Answer: No. It was very, very neutral under any condition except power-on corner exit when power oversteer was of course freely available should one desire it. Much easier to drive than GT3, no need for trailbrake to plant the nose on corner entry as I was used to doing.
Thanks. I was just curious... I would never imply your answers would be anything else than truthful.
I just thought you went a little wide in that turn because you were fighting the car...
I have no experience with American cars,but from the videos I've watched they tend to oversteer rather than understeer...
Nice that this one is neutral!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

A question regarding your comment, "The brakes are amazing, easily surpass Porsche ceramic brakes, bar none, by an order or 10 of magnitude."
Since an "order of magnitude" is already a factor of 10, the "or 10" part must be hyperbole.

Anyway, I'm curious as to how the Z28's brakes are 10 times better than PCCB's on a Porsche. Do they stop 10 times shorter? Are they 10 times easier to modulate? Have 10 times less fade? Show 10 times less wear? Respectfully, I'm sure you're understandably enthusiastic about the new car, but when comments seem so over the top it's hard not to take them all with a grain of salt.

Still, it's "great" that you find everything about the car so...well...."great".

Enjoy it safely.

Quick Reply: The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading