Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Just watch the main straight action at 3:15. My exit speed should be the same as his since I had to stay off throttle to avoid hitting him from behind. And watch the in cabin view so there is no distortion.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:43 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

yeah see your point - he was later to gas at exit and def lifted at 1 - but yeah not as quick as one would think
Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts

I think you're correct about heat soak being a problem. It should have stomped you down the straight.

As far as driving, your lines were MUCH better. Z/28 was pretty sloppy. Not comparable drivers.

OT: How did the M4 hold up throughout the day? Given the E92's propensities for melting brakes, curious if they solved that problem on the M4. Also curious if it suffered from any apparent heat soak given it's also boosted.

Nice driving!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I think you're correct about heat soak being a problem. It should have stomped you down the straight.

As far as driving, your lines were MUCH better. Z/28 was pretty sloppy. Not comparable drivers.

OT: How did the M4 hold up throughout the day? Given the E92's propensities for melting brakes, curious if they solved that problem on the M4. Also curious if it suffered from any apparent heat soak given it's also boosted.

Nice driving!
Thanks. Agree it should have stomped me on the straight regardless. Still 2 seconds off my PB that day, still off my game lately, but I'll take the compliment anyway.

I can't say much about the M4. The only time I saw it was that brief amount you saw on the video. Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner. Great looking car.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:14 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That was not a fair fight. That was no pro. Good job though.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by surlynkid
That was not a fair fight. That was no pro. Good job though.
Fellas, I'm purely commenting on the power down the main straight at 3:15 in the video and ignoring driver ability.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Was he adhering to the factory specified break-in (or trying)? It's sub 4000 rpm for 1500 miles. If you don't know the answer with certainty, there is really nothing to talk about. Z/28's are still most all new, so most not broken in. What are the facts in this case?

2. In 98f ambient conditions my Z/28, after being broken in and track prepped as specified in the owners manual ran 100% ok during a track day, no overheating (at all, period, full stop) and certainly no heat soak. Most of each session it was between 3500-7000 rpm and no mercy was shown. Get over it already with the ill-informed magazine article about overheating. The Z/28 suffers with overheating to the same degree as a Boxster or 911, that's a fact I've personally experienced.

Cheers
Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by savyboy
1. Was he adhering to the factory specified break-in (or trying)? It's sub 4000 rpm for 1500 miles. If you don't know the answer with certainty, there is really nothing to talk about. Z/28's are still most all new, so most not broken in. What are the facts in this case?

2. In 98f ambient conditions my Z/28, after being broken in and track prepped as specified in the owners manual ran 100% ok during a track day, no overheating (at all, period, full stop) and certainly no heat soak. Most of each session it was between 3500-7000 rpm and no mercy was shown. Get over it already with the ill-informed magazine article about overheating. The Z/28 suffers with overheating to the same degree as a Boxster or 911, that's a fact I've personally experienced.

Cheers
Pete, do you know any facts about this driver and the car, or are you also making assumptions that suit your side of the argument?

Do GT3s overheat?
I will admit my spyder ran hot (oil temps in the 270F range) until I installed the OEM 3rd radiator (now never higher than 240F), but that car isn't marketed as a track car.

If it's not from heat, then another possibility is the power isn't has high as advertised from the factory. The only facts here are that I have video of a Z/28 that isn't hauling *** down the straight like it should. From there, people can come to their own conclusions. My conclusions aren't any less valid than yours.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I just watched the video, after having posted my previous comment. Having owned and vigorously track a Boxster Spyder, and now owning a Z/28 in which I have two track days under break-in and one out of break-in, I can assure you the Z/28 in the video was not using all that was at his disposal. In my opinion he was shifting at 4000 rpm, otherwise things would have looked much different. That Z/28, 100% stock, is a 1:36/1:37 car at Laguna Seca (that's GT3RS on slicks lap time).
Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I just watched the video, after having posted my previous comment. Having owned and vigorously track a Boxster Spyder, and now owning a Z/28 in which I have two track days under break-in and one out of break-in, I can assure you the Z/28 in the video was not using all that was at his disposal. In my opinion he was shifting at 4000 rpm, otherwise things would have looked much different. That Z/28, 100% stock, is a 1:36/1:37 car at Laguna Seca (that's GT3RS on slicks lap time).
That may be true. OR, the car makes less HP than advertised (will be interesting to see what times Pobst does if the z/28 makes the MT DCOTY competition), OR heat is slowing the car down.

I guess we'll never know for sure...
Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Pete, do you know any facts about this driver and the car, or are you also making assumptions that suit your side of the argument?

Do GT3s overheat?
I will admit my spyder ran hot (oil temps in the 270F range) until I installed the OEM 3rd radiator (now never higher than 240F), but that car isn't marketed as a track car.

If it's not from heat, then another possibility is the power isn't has high as advertised from the factory. The only facts here are that I have video of a Z/28 that isn't hauling *** down the straight like it should. From there, people can come to their own conclusions. My conclusions aren't any less valid than yours.

I don't know the car or driver. GT3's most certainly can overheat, I've hit the coolant temp red zone in a Spyder, GT3RS and 4.0 on a 100+f ambient track day.

Multiple dyno pulls on stock z/28's have shown it to be massively underrated, when converted to crank hp they have all been around 550hp.

Your conclusions are invalid as you do not know if he was driving gentle while in a break-in period. If you are going to create a kill story, the onus is on you (not me) to know the facts.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I don't know the car or driver. GT3's most certainly can overheat, I've hit the coolant temp red zone in both a GT3RS and 4.0 on a 100f ambient track day. Multiple dyno pulls on stock z/28's have shown it to be massively underrated, when converted to crank hp they have all been around 550hp. Your conclusions are invalid as you do not know if he was driving gentle while in a break-in period. If you are going to create a kill story, the onus is on you (not me) to know the facts.
So because I'm posting something negative about a car you like, the onus is on me to get some facts, but it's ok for you to make an assumption like the guy was purposely short shifting while trying to stay ahead of me?

I see how this works...
Old 09-03-2014, 08:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Btw, Pete, I think we both get a kick out of getting a rise out of people. I fully expect you to come right out at me. This is all for the fun of debate.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

So because I'm posting something negative about a car you like, the onus is on me to get some facts, but it's ok for you to make an assumption like the guy was purposely short shifting while trying to stay ahead of me?

I see how this works...
Let's see a video of a Spyder vs a Z/28 where it is known as fact both are running WOT around LS. Then we have something to discuss. It has nothing to do "with a car I like". Dealing in unknowns is worthless if you are trying to reach a definite conclusion.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Btw, Pete, I think we both get a kick out of getting a rise out of people. I fully expect you to come right out at me. This is all for the fun of debate.
You more than me I greatly prefer to deal in conclusions reached from known inputs. No one can accuse me of not preparing a strong case, with strong foundation for whatever argument I put forth.

Spyder, Z/28. GT3, Mono, other toys are all mighty fine and I like them all, no axe to grind. Well other than coolant fittings, centerlocks, clutches, oh dang it...

Quick Reply: The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading