Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you have the new rear mounts done as well?

Can you PM pricing on the DSC box and accelerometer. And with this in place, does the ecu record a fault as would be shown if i was to connect to Piwis or Durametric.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
During the side muffler bypass pipe installation I noticed that the rear bumper vents on the .1 street cars are non-functional as they are blocked by the heat shields. Not sure if that's the case on the .2 cars. Anyway. I had to put the rear bumper back on and remedy this the following day because I needed to pick up my girlfriend to go to her friend's surprise birthday party. The following day I took the rear bumper off again to cut openings on heat shields. FYI, there are no heat shields on the .1 Cup cars. They do developed burn marks on the bumper in certain areas.

I am not an expert in aerodynamics but I think venting the rear bumper will reduce or eliminate "parachute effect" and possibly even lead to better engine cooling by evacuating exhaust heat better. IMO, I think the factory didn't vent the .1 street cars because the rear bumper will get dirty very quickly. In hindsight, perhaps venting the rear bumper could reduce the temp enough so that I didn't have to buy the bypass pipes. Who knows...
Will be interesting to hear your follow up on this. I noticed this a while back too and wondered what the point of the vents was. Ive debated cutting holes like you have, or removing the shield, and just applying heat shield to the inner bumper itself to protect from burn marks.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:39 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Two weekends ago I took off the front bumper to clean the radiators. I discovered that the left side center radiator hose was sweating coolant. I didn't have a new hose on hand so I put the front bumper back on without changing the hose because this car was my transportation home and I can't leave the car disassembled at the shop occupying a lift when Monday comes around. I ordered both the left and right hoses and two weekends later I am swapping them out before my an upcoming track event. Friends, it is good practice to remove the bumper and check your hoses.
Too bad someone doesnt make an aluminum part to replace this hose
Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Do you have the new rear mounts done as well?

Can you PM pricing on the DSC box and accelerometer. And with this in place, does the ecu record a fault as would be shown if i was to connect to Piwis or Durametric.
The drawings for the rear mount hardware have been made for a while. Just waiting on the machine shop who we sublet to on production parts. We use the machining equipment at our shop only for prototyping.

The DSC will not generate any fault codes unless there is actually something wrong. For example, if the stock cable is disconnected from one of the shocks, PIWIS or Durametric will indicate which shock.

PM sent.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Too bad someone doesnt make an aluminum part to replace this hose
I think they need to be rubber in order to have flexibility to prevent cracking of the radiators from road vibration. Even if that wasn't an issue, metal ones would be might difficult to install there and the rubber O-rings will wear out too. Just can't win.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Will be interesting to hear your follow up on this. I noticed this a while back too and wondered what the point of the vents was. Ive debated cutting holes like you have, or removing the shield, and just applying heat shield to the inner bumper itself to protect from burn marks.
I'll let you know if the mph increase at the track before I brake for turn 1.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 PM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gen1 stock damper has been revalved for 550 front and 750 rear, can I still use this active device? Or TPC need to specially program the box for my case?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Chan
My gen1 stock damper has been revalved for 550 front and 750 rear, can I still use this active device? Or TPC need to specially program the box for my case?
Who revalved them? And what was done to the shocks exactly? Was the bypass valve opening changed or more shims or different pistons?

You can definitely use DSC, going from semi to full active and have individual corner control will make an improvement but hard to predict other factors without knowing what was done to the shocks.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Guy, I'm signing out until Monday to focus on support my customers at summit point raceway and on my driving. Will continue the chat next week. Have a good weekend!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 PM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bilstein USA revalved it and mainly focus the sports setting. I have the dyno for both modes, but not sure how they did it. Just wonder the TPC unit is a self learn or a pre determined parameters for both modes?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Hey Tom, how do we get/order a DSC unit?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Oliver911
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

PM me details on how to go about acquiring the box and accelerometer.

Thanks,
Dante
Old 07-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Chan
bilstein USA revalved it and mainly focus the sports setting. I have the dyno for both modes, but not sure how they did it. Just wonder the TPC unit is a self learn or a pre determined parameters for both modes?
DSC is active to inputs(steering wheel angle, brake line pressure, throttle angle, g-force, vehicle speed). The prediction maps of the active function are pre-determined. There are three different modes for the user to select on the fly. Each mode is active but has different peak stiffness.

Presumably your re-valved shocks are stiffer, in this case I'd try using all three modes starting with the mode with the softest peak first.

In regard to re-valving, keep in mind that stiffer just means is stiffer, its doesn't always translate to more tire grip. The popular believe is a certain spring rates must have a certain valving to match. While that is true to some degree, and we all have to start somewhere, but in racing we can't tune the chassis of a car by numbers alone. For unknown reasons we(and other race teams as well) have race cars which has all the right numbers but they aren't top five cars. So we throw the numbers out the window, as we are only interested in tire grip and laptimes. Another perfect example is certain Stock Class racing series that the rule book states that a competitor must retain stock springs and stock shock bodies, but rebuilding and re-valving of stock shocks is allowed. A saavy competitor would valve the shocks to be way stiffer than conventional wisdom. The numbers then would be "wrong" but he'll have enough resistance in his shocks for his car to behave as if he has stiffer springs to dominate the field. To those who haven't heard of this approach before it will sound completely wrong but the top competitors has been doing this for decades! If I can get the grip that I want and the laptimes put the car "in the hunt" then I disregard any conventional numbers. Again, the conventional thinking/wisdom/numbers are good to refer to as a place to start. Trust me, the very front running race teams rarely do things in a conventional manner. Each team has their set ways... Sorry got a bit side tracked from the original question.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Hey Tom, how do we get/order a DSC unit?
We just got back to the shop from a three day track weekend hosted by our local PCA chapter. We have the units in stock for .1 and .2 cars. Give us a call or email. We can ship today. Thanks.

Tel: 410-799-7223
Email: tchan@tpcracing.com
Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oliver911
PM me details on how to go about acquiring the box and accelerometer.

Thanks,
Dante
Hi Dante,

Do you have a .1 or .2 car? I'll PM you as soon I get your answer.

Thanks,
Tom

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3