Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Corvette Z06 Images - Wow

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014 | 01:44 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
yeah, the bugs in C6 Z06 is not as bad as GT3 but every car will have their issue when you push hard on track
I found my GT3 only needed some brake pads, fluid and an alignment and it was good to go. You could beat on it all day and never had any issues.

My Z06 is a base LT1 so I had to do quite a bit to it to get it track ready but I knew that going in, and that was a lot of the fun in getting it prepped.
Old 01-14-2014 | 02:10 PM
werks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
My Z06 is a base LT1 so I had to do quite a bit to it to get it track ready but I knew that going in, and that was a lot of the fun in getting it prepped.
I agree there is so much stuff available for these cars that half the fun is building them!

Here's a shot of my orange Carbon Edition as it sits now!

Old 01-14-2014 | 03:00 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

is that the halltech hood? How does it help underhood temps on track?
Old 01-14-2014 | 03:07 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the Stingray was over styled, this is even worse. Just looks like another custom mod car at Sema
Old 01-14-2014 | 03:17 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Werks,

Your car should not even be considered a Chevrolet and should have a VIN number from Katech.
Old 01-14-2014 | 03:31 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

katechs are unbelieveable
Old 01-14-2014 | 03:41 PM
werks
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quikag
is that the halltech hood? How does it help underhood temps on track?
Yes, it is the halltech hood in naked carbon. They do some pretty trick stuff! All of their parts are made at the same shop that does all of the carbon for Pratt & Miller and it weighs in at a tick over 13lbs. It actually also helps with downforce by venting under hood pressure (you can see they now did this on the C7). In regards to cooling me and Mikymu were talking about this a while ago and compared telemetry from our SoloDL's on roughly equal lap times (think it was 1:56's at thunderhill) and it looks like my car with the hood and a DeWitt's radiator runs about 20deg cooler as far as oil temp is concerned. I believe I was in the high 190's as far as oil temp and he was in the high 210's. I've been out in 108f weather at the track beating on the car and the hottest that I was able to get the oil temp up to was 238f.
Old 01-14-2014 | 03:45 PM
werks
Advanced

Werks,

Your car should not even be considered a Chevrolet and should have a VIN number from Katech.
Lol, unfortunately the vin still shows it as Carbon Edition #154. But it does have a nice little plaque that they put in showing that it is Katech Street Attack #50
Old 01-14-2014 | 05:24 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by werks
Yes, it is the halltech hood in naked carbon. They do some pretty trick stuff! All of their parts are made at the same shop that does all of the carbon for Pratt & Miller and it weighs in at a tick over 13lbs. It actually also helps with downforce by venting under hood pressure (you can see they now did this on the C7). In regards to cooling me and Mikymu were talking about this a while ago and compared telemetry from our SoloDL's on roughly equal lap times (think it was 1:56's at thunderhill) and it looks like my car with the hood and a DeWitt's radiator runs about 20deg cooler as far as oil temp is concerned. I believe I was in the high 190's as far as oil temp and he was in the high 210's. I've been out in 108f weather at the track beating on the car and the hottest that I was able to get the oil temp up to was 238f.
Those are incredibly low temps. I checked into that Halltech hood a while back and it didn't quite work very well on the LS9 as the intake is offset on the LS9, so the hood doesn't line up correctly. It looks off-center Oh well, a very cool hood for the LS7 folks! (or Katech race motor in your case. )
Old 01-14-2014 | 05:33 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
That's the best spec of C6 Z06 right there. The carbon editions were pretty rare right?
well, about 200 made but you can spec your Z06 just like a carbon for an extra $15K

Originally Posted by Nan P
Real life pics of the new Z06 look better, but still kinda....ah...in my eyes. The performance is still amazing for the $$$
Mikymu's blue C6 Z06 looks wayyyy better & is my fav Vette.
Thanks, C6 Z06 has some really good line and with the right mod you can make it pop

Originally Posted by kosmo
yup thats pretty awesome and you'll notice the CHic is leaning against the Vette!
what chic?

I found my GT3 only needed some brake pads, fluid and an alignment and it was good to go. You could beat on it all day and never had any issues.

both GT3 and Z06 need alot of work if you want to push them hard on track. The good thing about Z06 is that after market parts (and OEM parts) are so cheap and readily available and people are not out to gouge you like p-cars and you will have enough money left over for some cool NorCal DE Cup T-shirt

Originally Posted by werks
Way cool looking Z06 there Ron! I think you and I are the only two track dedicated carbon in the country. Like you said your car is super well set up and katech did a crazy job on your car and it has 100+ mph more than my Z06 at the wheel. Your Z06 is also 20+F cooling than mine

Here is my data showing the oil pressure and engine temp at Thunderhill - full write up here. post 09 Z06 dry sump system http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...rack-test.html

Old 01-14-2014 | 05:35 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Lowering does so much for this car.
Old 01-14-2014 | 07:09 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As I have said before, C7 Z06 is basically a rebadged ZR1 - see post http://www.corvetteforum.com/article...adar-z06-good/

naturally aspirated Z06 is gone ... at least in C7 form much like the new M3/M4
Old 01-14-2014 | 10:29 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 13 Posts

I drove a Stingray vette for a week over the holidays and I was really impressed. Its a different car entirely to the C6. The build quality is very good, the interior is dramatically improved, the seats are good and mostly it is really fun to drive. It is not a truck. Its not the most elegant thing in the world but it has soul. This car has won a lot of awards in the press for a reason: its a game changer and direct competition to the usual suspects.

I pretty much expected the Z06 to be epic because the team they have working on this car knows what they are doing.

One might be in my future, as a track monster it will be unbeatable.
Old 01-14-2014 | 10:40 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,908 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
One might be in my future, as a track monster it will be unbeatable.
Within the next 24hrs??
Old 01-15-2014 | 02:07 AM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I'd take this look any day over the stupid checkered flag stickers and red lipstick. At least the ugly bits on this car look to perform a function. My guess is that the splitter is partially removable for street driving which will make it easier to live with. I like where GM is going with the Corvette. Kudos to them for having the guts!
Amen to that. Really don't understand the Hot Wheels decals and lipstick getup. Actually thinking about a Z06 -- first time an American car has appealed since high school. Interesting that they will all come with removable carbon roofs. As a guy with a too small garage, I have to say I like the idea of a track monster/convertible 2-in-1!

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 Images - Wow