Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I'll trade Giesha for it
Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather have the car in Nizer's avatar...
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
would have to be all of $100k.
Gooding estimate is $125 to $150k. I'm thinking that given his current "celebrity" and the emotion of Pebble Beach bidding, that it could even go higher than the estimate...
Old 07-31-2013, 04:12 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Angus seems like a great Porsche evangelist, does some seriously cool stuff, and I like the lightweight ethic.

However, some of the aesthetic choices...hmm.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool car with celebrtiy status + Pebble beach means - $225 - 250K.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:42 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Eh....if I was paying that kinda money I would go for a Singer
Old 07-31-2013, 09:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

This car is his "media" car however some of my personal favorites were his 911s sitting on Fuchs. Especially the silver car from his video. Id pay money for his silver car.
The jelly bean jar car dosnt really do it for as much....
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Eh....if I was paying that kinda money I would go for a Singer
find me a used singer for only 125-150k and id give you $5k commission in your jeans!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:30 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Singers START at $400k....

What will this car sell for..$200k+ easy. BECAUSE of the early 911 market forces combined with the hype Magnus has so masterfully created.

Folks please please please dont confuse what Rob over at Singer with what Magnus is doing. Singer is on a completely different level. Having seen both...DRIVEN both...I assure you that Singers are art..Magnus's cars are art projects.

Magnus's cars are nice home built to an OK standard. Paint is OK, interior is OK...whole product is just OK. For someone to reproduce the car in question it would cost less than $100k.

A 911T that needed restored would cost around $30-35. So all in if you were to send your 911T to one of the well known LA Porsche Shops to reproduce this car you would have $130k invested.

Rob (Singer founders) 911s will be displayed in modern art museums.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasSpeedy

What will this car sell for..$200k+ easy. BECAUSE of the early 911 market forces combined with the hype Magnus has so masterfully created.

Folks please please please dont confuse what Rob over at Singer with what Magnus is doing. Singer is on a completely different level. Having seen both...DRIVEN both...I assure you that Singers are art..Magnus's cars are art projects.

Magnus's cars are nice home built to an OK standard. Paint is OK, interior is OK...whole product is just OK. For someone to reproduce the car in question it would cost less than $100k.

A 911T that needed restored would cost around $30-35. So all in if you were to send your 911T to one of the well known LA Porsche Shops to reproduce this car you would have $130k invested.

Finally a voice of reason.

A Singer is the best 911 ever built, and neither Porsche or VW could build it.

Starting with the first of the non-torsion bar cars, fully independent suspension 964, and building a Long Hood out of it. Then use modern materials keeping the classic lines and interior.

Personally, I do have serious passion for the 964RS (make it Maritime Blue), and more for the street legal 964 America Cup (my ideal 500,000 miles daily driver).

As time passes, less and less 964 chassis are available, this is the one classic modern real Porsche in the making (and not the bland 993 as some believe).
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,802 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Finally a voice of reason.

A Singer is the best 911 ever built, and neither Porsche or VW could build it.

Starting with the first of the non-torsion bar cars, fully independent suspension 964, and building a Long Hood out of it. Then use modern materials keeping the classic lines and interior.

Personally, I do have serious passion for the 964RS (make it Maritime Blue), and more for the street legal 964 America Cup (my ideal 500,000 miles daily driver).

As time passes, less and less 964 chassis are available, this is the one classic modern real Porsche in the making (and not the bland 993 as some believe).
rad your thinking is getting more and more like me. i had 964 and 993, and would take 964 over 993 anyday. would LOVE to have a 964, retro dated, and use it as DD.

Originally Posted by VegasSpeedy

art vs art project. agreed.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i had 964 and 993, and would take 964 over 993 anyday. would LOVE to have a 964, retro dated, and use it as DD.
Then let's go racing GTL or Spec 911.

As for Singer, some clever stuff in the chassis, money thrown at composites. Hardly "best ever" but very nice. I've seen two (three?) and they were all looking 95% complete and full of promise and potential, with some very clever design work, but also some "yeah, we haven't gotten around to that bit, yet." Shortcomings. If Singer built something less "overt" and put a humble, light powertrain in it, it really could be something. But a retro-bodied 964 is not the makings of a "best ever." Then again, it's my voice lost in the din of people throwing checkbooks at boutique brand cars, so I'm clearly in the wrong; and a couple thousand bat **** crazy money-no-object types will soon huddle in the fog on a golf course and spend all weekend proving me wrong.

As for Magnus Walker, I think he's got it right. Enjoy the cars. Be creative. Get a little crazy and unconventional, and still respect the original ideas and ideals of the 911. You could say he's taken R Gruppe and turned it into something between a design studio and a mad scientists laboratory. I'd love to have one of his builds, but you just know there will be amped up suckers with ample funds and they wouldn't know a swing arm from a banana, but they'll pay for a car by a guy that was in that magazine interview that time and was on TV with Leno.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 AM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Lets be clear...Magnus is not making himself into a bit of a C list celebrity by accident. He is making bank from all of this hype and I would hope that he makes massive bank as time progresses.

He DOES sell his cars. He doesn't do this overtly. In his videos etc he seems to imply he is just a collector. Not true. His cars have historically been NOT high end builds. Maybe this STR II car is a better version of what he usually does (I haven't seen it).

Ya know what..who cares. Fact is his stuff is cool. Looks amazing and has that appeal that you can't put your finger on. You don't want to like it but, dammit you do. Kind of like Kim Kardashians rear end...

He is a bit of a genius with how he has sculpted this 'urban outlaw' thing into somewhat of a brand. LA style hype at its best. I am sure he will do his best to extend his 'brand' into endorsements etc. Its a business move first...Porsche passion second. At least that is what it has obviously become.
Please be clear there is absolutely nothing wrong with making money. Nothing.

Net-net he is an ENORMOUS asset to the Porsche hobby. Magnus has de-nerded the Porsche obsession and made it cool. I will go as far as to suggest that his PR will actually expand the interest in older Porsches. I totally respect the dude for what he has done.

Magnus deserves massive success and all that comes with it. American Dream British style.

My guess is that car will sell for at least $200...and I bet $250k + at auction. He will bank at least $200k from that sale. Next, expect more Magnus STR versions for sale with a line of wanna-be Urban Outlaw buyers.

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 911 on the Auction Block