Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Now that the 991 GT3 is here, will the value of the 997 GT3 go down ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Chuckle. And it's all stock... Thanks.
Yeah, lots of stock widebody longhoods.... RSR?

Last edited by Yargk; 03-07-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I also wonder about us DE guys trying to set up a car.
Between R compound tires, tire pressures, toe, camber, LSD, sway bars, ride height and rake, we seem to be already getting exactly what we want but it is hard enough to get there. We did have CUP cars we could ape.

I had a chance to observe at lime rock how a guy worked on tuning custom audi r8 car, with 800hp modded engine and reworked suspension, a car that pretty much drives itself. it was a very complicated process and he had a tech with special audi telemetry notebook in the car on a track just to tune all suspension computers.
if it will go same way with 991 cars u can forget about r-comps and any changes to suspension like other spring rates, removal of stock arms, etc. it gets to totally different territory with active assist computers controlling it all.
so i have my doubts

ps. not sure why you toss new vette out, it is a decent track car donor imho. as well as older z06.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Yeah, lots of stock widebody longhoods.... RSR?
Not RSR exactly. Early cars come with flares and GT3 Cup motors stock, didn't they?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Not RSR exactly. Early cars come with flares and GT3 Cup motors stock, didn't they?
And carbon bodywork to boot.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A claimed six or seven seconds at the ring, which is what it's sounding like vs the 3.8 RS, is 2 seconds at Thunderhill. If that's true then either seems non-trivial to me, though I guess that's relative.

My point was more that tires are simply getting faster every year (especially in the wet). Some of the 'ring times are done on tires that are a second or two slower (on a normal length track) than the newest Sport Maxx Race or whatever the GT3 is wearing. Makes me wonder what the "tire adjusted" lap times would be, where everything is running equal rubber.

Chuckle. And it's all stock... Thanks.
Yes..agree..especially on the tire issue..what we need is a test where all these cars from Porsche are tested with the same tyre..then we know the real difference. The big gains in the tire industry are over..the 997 generations benefitted from that already. Now there is a new element since a few years..ecology etc.

Again, congrats to such a beautiful 911 as yours...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think over time the price of a 997 gt3 will rise above a 991gt3. The 997 being manual is more of a drivers machine and should command a premium over a PDK 991 over time. Complex cars tend to depreciate more as they age as they are just of expensive to fix. When you want your PDK fixed, how much do you think that will cost? That's if anyone will touch it.

Now if they bring out a manual 991 later, I think the PDK version price will crash on the used market. When has an auto ever sold for more than a manual on the used sports car market?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I had a chance to observe at lime rock how a guy worked on tuning custom audi r8 car, with 800hp modded engine and reworked suspension, a car that pretty much drives itself. it was a very complicated process and he had a tech with special audi telemetry notebook in the car on a track just to tune all suspension computers.
if it will go same way with 991 cars u can forget about r-comps and any changes to suspension like other spring rates, removal of stock arms, etc. it gets to totally different territory with active assist computers controlling it all.
so i have my doubts

ps. not sure why you toss new vette out, it is a decent track car donor imho. as well as older z06.
OEM Z06 is decent, but it needed so many modes to be as dependable as a GT3 that it does not make sense unless you want faster laptimes at the cost of "feel". maybe the C7 will be track worthy on oem config?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think those that have to have latest and greatest will sell. I also think a significant majority of those guys will have low mileage pristine cars and therefore those of us looking to freshen up our track cars will have an opportunity in the next 12 months to pick up a .2 of our choosing at a fair price. Those currently asking >$135k for those same cars now will be lucky to get $120 in '14. Not sure on 4.0, will depend on how many hold on to them and add a 991 GT3 or pass on the 991 for now.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
I think over time the price of a 997 gt3 will rise above a 991gt3. The 997 being manual is more of a drivers machine and should command a premium over a PDK 991 over time. Complex cars tend to depreciate more as they age as they are just of expensive to fix. When you want your PDK fixed, how much do you think that will cost? That's if anyone will touch it.

Now if they bring out a manual 991 later, I think the PDK version price will crash on the used market. When has an auto ever sold for more than a manual on the used sports car market?
fully share your opinion..
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
LooseMarble
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
I've been following the market for a few years as well, mainly for an orange 997.1 RS. Prices have definitely crept back up (the one that a Rennlister snagged a few weeks back for $85k was a "steal" but a similar example sat on here for a month a couple of years ago for $90k),
I am the guy that snagged the orange car mentioned. i love hearing about how good of a deal i got because it was scary to pull the trigger even after doing my homework and shopping for months. The car has lived up to all expectations so far. If it went up in value or stayed stable in value that would be great, but it won't much matter as you wouldn't be able try pry my fingers off the wheel to get this car from me at this point.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseMarble
I am the guy that snagged the orange car mentioned. i love hearing about how good of a deal i got because it was scary to pull the trigger even after doing my homework and shopping for months. The car has lived up to all expectations so far. If it went up in value or stayed stable in value that would be great, but it won't much matter as you wouldn't be able try pry my fingers off the wheel to get this car from me at this point.
That thing is beautiful- congrats again on the purchase.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Hi Guys,

Can we keep this thread active with real sale prices, as we learned, the vodoo blue 4.0 one has been sold for 260K

Any other deals done in the last days? Lets put here prices of all 997 GT3 variants..I think we will clearly see that in a few weeks 4.0 and 3.8RS wont move so much..3.8 and 3.6 might go a bit down..but I expect the 3.6 to take the biggest hit..
Old 03-13-2013, 03:16 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Highest milage .2 GT3 NB price you you have seen sold for? how about for .2 RS?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
Highest milage .2 GT3 NB price you you have seen sold for? how about for .2 RS?
Marshall Goldman sold a low option white/red RS with low mileage for $154k in February I believe.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Orange / Black or vice versa is my dream GT3 RS. Great looking car. Have fun with it, get an X pipe and unleash an even better sound.

Quick Reply: Now that the 991 GT3 is here, will the value of the 997 GT3 go down ?