Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sebring DavidMurry Jan 29/30 and 48hours Jan31-Feb3

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I was initially really surprised about their times. However after giving it some thought, they're running 218's in warmer weather on Hoosiers. Now put the most expensive race tires you can buy for a street car into the mix, crisp weather, and some talent.... Not as surprised now. They were both very fast before running full race slicks.

With that being said I wouldn't want to write a track insurance policy for either of them
Burke, those weren't Michelin Blues. Blues are faster, by a good margin.
Still did 2:19s with 17 heat cycles on them. They are lighter than Hoosiers, and if you look that way also last longer, or maybe close to it to a few guys that run 20+ heat cycles on them.
They will go faster with just cleaner laps.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Two ways to do that, actually three.

1) Establish the "tight group" of times when you're driving at a high level and are very consistent. Then, plot the actual and then TBL lap and see where the difference is. Then, focus on those areas (generally not more than two or three). More often than not (which is what I'm seeing in the data you sent me), it's a result of imperfect, irrgular and erratic basic skills execution, a lack of discipline or a lack of patience, not a lack of "*****." If you're made aware of what skill set you need to focus on, how to control your entry speed and get the car turned and "clean it up," you go faster with less risk and less drama. Oh, and less effort, too.

2) Know what "optimum" skill execution looks like on the data. THIS is why you don't need Chris, Nigel or anyone else to "set a time" to compare to. If you execute properly, then the data will look like it. Most folks' data is far from optimal... This is where I am most often a resource, at the track. Working with Andrew Z last week, we got him doing :11 flat in a car he has little time in, at a track he's never been to, in a short period of time, with priorities he can use at every other track, in every other car he drives. THIS IS WHAT IS COOL!

3) Have somebody (Leh, Andrew, Patrick) do a "hell ride." Problem with that is that they aren't you. And their risk/benefit is difference, their confidence and their knowledge and comfort foundation is completely different.

This is why you need to look at what you're doing and break it down in the most granular operational parameters. Then optimize all the little pieces and put it together. Lo and behold, you're fast and within acceptable risk/benefit ratios. For you...
Very interesting...tks for the input.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

I know how to construct plans and strategies that mere mortals can use to DO THE SAME THING as "those who are pros" do.

I know how to communicate that to mere mortals so it sticks, if not at that event, in future events. While the track knowledge required for competence to shine at particular tracks may be local, the concepts of going fast are global. Proper PRO coaches like VR, Seth and few others do this, although in differing levels of detail, different depths of data analysis and from differing perspectives... It ain't rocket science.

What IS in control of the driver is proper execution of fundamental skills, a reduction of ANY questions about where to place the car and where it should be when particular control inputs are executed. Do all that, and you're as fast as they are...
This is IMHO the salient part of what Peter is saying here. A proper coach should do 4 fundamental things, regardless of order:

-observe (preferably from the passenger seat) exactly what you are doing in every location on track, write it down, and use it as the baseline of your performance

-develop specific measurable and achieveable objectives for each session you are on track, based on these observations

-articulate in language YOU can understand (which is different with each drover) what you are doing well & what you need to do to meet each of the objectives where you can do better

-narrate the above in car

I do this. I know Peter and Seth do this, and likely a few others. It is not about laying down a lap 12 seconds faster than theirs, as Dez correctly says. It is about communicating ways of getting the drover closer to the coach's level of performance.

Eddie, if we ever work together, I would (for example) pick 3 segments to work on, where I believe there is low hanging fruit that would allow you to achieve your objective without adding any extra drama or danger. And then we would work through each one until success is achieved. Other things may pop up while working on these segments--so be it!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,188 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
A proper coach should do 4 fundamental things

-observe exactly what you are doing in every location on track through microscopic and exhaustive examination of the video and data, write it down and use it as the baseline of your performance

-develop specific measurable and achievable objectives for each session you are on track, based on these observations, duplicate optimal segments and skill executions that YOU HAVE DONE and not more than three

-articulate in language YOU can understand (which is different with each drover) what you are doing well & what you need to do to meet each of the objectives where you can do better

-measure the result and communicate this result and these observations off-track, when you have time and the undivided concentration required to absorb abstract concepts and adopt them as your own.
Fixed it, for what I like to do...

People look at me and say "you don't look like a race car driver." And I don't, at least not like anyone short of Gerry Marshall, Tony Stewart or Tiny Lund! I can count on one hand in over two decades cars that I have not been quicker in than the client... But as VR and Dez aptly say, that is NOT the point.

I think there is terrific value in many of the various approaches endemic to each recognized professional coach.

VR, Seth, David Tuaty, Chris Hall and others are immensely valuable, but at some point, we all need to step back and get the client to a point where they have the knowledge and confidence that the pros do. That's part of the problem, IMO, of many a recognized "pro driver/coach." For many, it's the pro driver part that is more important, not the coach.

Comfort, knowledge and confidence. 99 percent of the battle, right there.

Sorry for the diversion... Back to Sebring.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

couldnt help but post following trakcar before video cable disconnected wondering what he was doing in t 17 LOL

that 914 was a good example of almost every lap where people probably from out of town never on track were " lost" not even looking in rear view mirror....i think later in day point bys were optional amongst the de cup crew........David Murray track day was definitely a great experience though....
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

Haha, no idea where I was going, trying different stuff until someone showed me how to do it.
My *** looks nice and fat..
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

fat and fast...lol
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
couldnt help but post following trakcar before video cable disconnected wondering what he was doing in t 17 LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCkffubMSMo
wow, I didn't know the World Famous Trakcar ever got loose.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,188 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Testing the limits! Preparing to go to the next level!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Sometimes, but the nose always stays roughly pointed in the right direction. Took a while to get back in line, I dont remember doing it, so it was not that eventful I think.

Testing the limits! Preparing to go to the next level!
Messing with 17 based overhearing others LOL.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Haha, no idea where I was going, trying different stuff until someone showed me how to do it.
My *** looks nice and fat..
Were you trying to make the longest distance traveled? apex is the shortest way around teh track
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Haha, I would have won that one. I was mainly trying to not hit the wall and keep the nose more or less pointed in the right direction :-)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
He was good because he was hangin out with The Most Interesting Man In The World all weekend courtesy of Don Jose's:
Seems like Clark was following Don Jose around....
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve Goldman- ZSAmotorsport. nice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tradema...n/photostream/

Quick Reply: Sebring DavidMurry Jan 29/30 and 48hours Jan31-Feb3