Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who's got links to lightweight parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I already ordered the row oem metal roof. It's super cheap.

Don't need lightweight carpet as I'm going to just take all the carpet put :-)
it is your choice what to do and i agree it is a lot of fun to work on those cars but realistically you do have a clean street car right now that does still has a decent value, so sell it and buy 996 cup car instead, one that has properly done full cage and all goodies you mentioned plus extra. save your money for engine and gearbox repairs.

try to get into a 996 cup car at least once before vandalizing your street car, drive it, feel it, then try to drive stripped gt3 cars, speak to some guys who have done it and assess your budget. it costs a lot of $ to built up a street gt3 into baby cup and it still will not be a real cup, even after another $40K spent. right now it is cheaper for you just to buy it outright rather than try to build it up.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
it is your choice what to do and i agree it is a lot of fun to work on those cars but realistically you do have a clean street car right now that does still has a decent value, so sell it and buy 996 cup car instead, one that has properly done full cage and all goodies you mentioned plus extra. save your money for engine and gearbox repairs.

try to get into a 996 cup car at least once before vandalizing your street car, drive it, feel it, then try to drive stripped gt3 cars, speak to some guys who have done it and assess your budget. it costs a lot of $ to built up a street gt3 into baby cup and it still will not be a real cup, even after another $40K spent. right now it is cheaper for you just to buy it outright rather than try to build it up.
100% - just did it and it's worked out just as Paul says ... was able to get top dollar for the street car in stock shape, kept all my rcr bits and put them on the cup,
got some cash to build the engine when the time comes .... who said 3.9

oh .... except for missing the sunday am drives in the mountains - gonna have to save up for a 964!

I should add that the cup is faster, leaner and all round much better on the track ... but you knew that

Last edited by HiWind; 11-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about carbon wheels?

http://carbonrev.com/img/slider/porsche.png
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
imo it is a waste of money.
There are great lightweight forged aluminum wheels in the market.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Mark GT3
Instructor

There is merit to both options - modified GT3 and 996 Cup. It comes down to what you want and $. I have a heavily modified 07 RS (see "white lightning" in this forum) and a 996 Cup. There was rationale to this based on what I wanted to do with each car.

I needed something with a VIN that was street legal for tarmac rally, NASA TT, PCA DE, sunday drive/coffee and cars, etc that could be driven or trailered to events. But I wanted that car built to my specs and looking great at the same time. The RS is this and I wouldn't do anything differently.

After doing the above with a 996 GT3 a few years ago I decided it was time to go club racing. I did a lot of research and by far the best car for the money out there in my opinion is a 996 Cup. So I bought an 04 996 Cup (ex Supercup) and have raced it now for a couple of years. After driving a Cup car there is no going back. But for sure it is a race car and whilst mine is maintained regardless of cost by some of the best in the business it still does not look nearly as nice as my RS, nor can I do some of the events in it that require something street legal.

So it comes down to want you want and $. The best option is to have both
Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark GT3
There is merit to both options - modified GT3 and 996 Cup. It comes down to what you want and $. I have a heavily modified 07 RS (see "white lightning" in this forum) and a 996 Cup. There was rationale to this based on what I wanted to do with each car.

I needed something with a VIN that was street legal for tarmac rally, NASA TT, PCA DE, sunday drive/coffee and cars, etc that could be driven or trailered to events. But I wanted that car built to my specs and looking great at the same time. The RS is this and I wouldn't do anything differently.

After doing the above with a 996 GT3 a few years ago I decided it was time to go club racing. I did a lot of research and by far the best car for the money out there in my opinion is a 996 Cup. So I bought an 04 996 Cup (ex Supercup) and have raced it now for a couple of years. After driving a Cup car there is no going back. But for sure it is a race car and whilst mine is maintained regardless of cost by some of the best in the business it still does not look nearly as nice as my RS, nor can I do some of the events in it that require something street legal.

Great post. Agreed on all points. Owning both is best option.

With that being said, I'll have this car for at least 2-3 more years. Essentially waiting for 991 GT3 at used pricing. So I know it's going to be a while.

I've already had mine for almost 3.5 years. I think... So the love affair with its looks are over. Its scratched, dented, and all around pretty beat up. Mechanically it is very well taken care of though.

Since it has 32k miles, with 20k of it (or thereabouts) on the track, I'm guessing my car is worth about 60k. In 2-3 years, it will be worth 50k and that will probably be the floor. Regardless of a "lightened" condition. Basing this off the 996 GT3 market.

I'm only removing parts, or replacing parts with lighter parts. Nothing that can't be undone. No full cage, bare dash, or anything too extreme. Everything that comes out goes in the attic.

My car will probably have 50k miles by the time I can afford a 991. It will be the perfect candidate for a club racer at that point so I'm sure they won't mind a few lightening options and will probably not restore it back.

In the meantime, it will be a fun fast competitive DE car. I really do love the car. However, being almost 6 years old and a 3.6 liter, it's getting a little long in the tooth with everyone else running 3.8 and 4.0 RS's. At least this will add a great performance bump without putting 30k into the motor.

Cup is out of the question. At least for now. That's way more than I want to get involved with. Hats off to those that do. I have a friend who just got a 2012 Cup and went for a ride. Sick sick sick... At $3k an hour for operating expenses, that's way outside my DE budget
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark GT3

Kind of agree with this. Spent 4 days racing a 996 RS Cup and 997.2 Cup. The difference between those two cars could be measured in a power, stiffness, front end, etc. Laptime difference was about 5 seconds.

Jumped into my somewhat modded 997.1 GT3 (clubsport). Can say that I felt like I was driving a garbage truck for the first 20 minutes.

Sad thing is that a fully gutted 997 gt3 will probably be a few seconds quicker than a 996 Cup, but will probably cost twice as much as one to get it there. 997 is another story due to the bloody gearbox...
Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Honestly, I don't want a car that is 10 seconds faster than my friends. Doing laps by yourself does not sound like fun to me....

I'm happy with just hanging in there as the backmarker with the fastest guys at Sebring (Randy, Peter, Eddie, Clark, Nick, etc).
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Mark GT3
Instructor

Sounds like you have a good plan. I agree with storing all the original parts and being able to convert the car back to stock at any point in the future should you or a new owner wish to do so. That's what I've done down to the last nut and bolt!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

well, we had a fatality this year at road atlanta - realistically it is how it may end up for any of us as none of those street cars are designed to provide sufficient safety in such accidents, and even less with all 'improvements' we do to those cars. anybody who runs DEs at top level or prepares for racing faces this dilemma sooner or later when you get close enough to realize what it is exactly you do now and how small margin of the error becomes and how bad consequences will be if you screw up or just slip on somebody else`s fluids and meet the wall.

all i say here, there is a point in the driver development path when cage becomes a must. when you look at pro drivers doing stunts in almost stock cars and posting crazy lap tmes - well, we are not one of them. they have experience that allows them to feel relatively safe in the car that may easily kill you or me, so, having full cage, hans recaro seat and side nets is your personal safety net, as you got only one neck and it takes a single side impact at 60+mph to brake it. think about it.

so stripping down car, replacing stock panels with paper/plastic, taking out stock airbags - it is a path we all follow to some degree, but, you just need to use some common sense. there is nothing wrong in turning your gt3 chassis into race car donor, all i say here is - do not ignore safety and follow a path most people do - means if you got suspension done, then do full cage, a proper containment seat with integrated HANS, side nets, fire bottle, then you can strip down panels, replace steel with paper, etc.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

good post.
do all or nothing at all.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Deputy, if you want to keep up, I would just remove sunroof and do LWFW and regear the car.
You are so close I think that will do it, if not there are always Hoosiers. Still have a car to go cruise for chiks or play Tampa Vice.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Deputy, if you want to keep up, I would just remove sunroof and do LWFW and regear the car.
You are so close I think that will do it, if not there are always Hoosiers. Still have a car to go cruise for chiks or play Tampa Vice.
And get rid of the awful 7.1 PASM and install a set of high end shocks and stiffer springs.

Peter
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
well, we had a fatality this year at road atlanta - realistically it is how it may end up for any of us as none of those street cars are designed to provide sufficient safety in such accidents, and even less with all 'improvements' we do to those cars. anybody who runs DEs at top level or prepares for racing faces this dilemma sooner or later when you get close enough to realize what it is exactly you do now and how small margin of the error becomes and how bad consequences will be if you screw up or just slip on somebody else`s fluids and meet the wall.

all i say here, there is a point in the driver development path when cage becomes a must. when you look at pro drivers doing stunts in almost stock cars and posting crazy lap tmes - well, we are not one of them. they have experience that allows them to feel relatively safe in the car that may easily kill you or me, so, having full cage, hans recaro seat and side nets is your personal safety net, as you got only one neck and it takes a single side impact at 60+mph to brake it. think about it.

so stripping down car, replacing stock panels with paper/plastic, taking out stock airbags - it is a path we all follow to some degree, but, you just need to use some common sense. there is nothing wrong in turning your gt3 chassis into race car donor, all i say here is - do not ignore safety and follow a path most people do - means if you got suspension done, then do full cage, a proper containment seat with integrated HANS, side nets, fire bottle, then you can strip down panels, replace steel with paper, etc.
The road Atlanta car had proper safety / Hans....passed from head injury

Not sure on a full cage.....I think those out there without one are nuts but that's me

Quick Reply: Who's got links to lightweight parts?