Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Lol, everyone does
ulimate cheater....

Since im in canada, im tempted. very tempted....

My RS in the shop next to your two RS porsches by the way..... The 4.0L looks as attractive as the Cup cars littered about. Very nice.

Im not sure what others think, but i love the polished steering wheels in the 4.0L
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 PM
997GT3Girly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit when I heard the letters GTR.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:02 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 997GT3Girly
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit when I heard the letters GTR.
i know. totally...
but alas, it can run with the big boys as much as i do not find them one bit appealing.

Dont count on it running forever though.....
Just as the Titanic, it has its limitations....
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 AM
997GT3Girly
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i know. totally...
but alas, it can run with the big boys as much as i do not find them one bit appealing.

Dont count on it running forever though.....
Just as the Titanic, it has its limitations....
Yeah I know it can kinda keep up with the big boys. Now the GTR on the street in a straight line is a different story...

GTR is a great fat girl for big HP #'s, dyno queen, & going fast in a straight line... Then trans goes BOOM.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GT2 + Free flow Exaust ( Only one that comes to my mind is Europipe 84mm Exhaust)+ ECU

Castrol SRF brake fluid + proper alignment..

A winning combination
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
ulimate cheater....

Since im in canada, im tempted. very tempted....

My RS in the shop next to your two RS porsches by the way..... The 4.0L looks as attractive as the Cup cars littered about. Very nice.

Im not sure what others think, but i love the polished steering wheels in the 4.0L
Well I will see it today then.

Picking up one or both of them today and checking on the 4.0's temporary yellow! roll bar..

I dont like the polished wheel but I'll suffer it.

Originally Posted by 997GT3Girly
Yeah I know it can kinda keep up with the big boys. Now the GTR on the street in a straight line is a different story...

GTR is a great fat girl for big HP #'s, dyno queen, & going fast in a straight line... Then trans goes BOOM.
Just point them by and wait for them to slow down when they cook the car, eventually you'll pass them if the session lasts long enough..
You dont pass them often at speed as they go into the pit with warning lights on the dash.. I instructed in one a few weeks ago. Much worse than I expected, they really get bent out of shape over bumps.

It was a well set up car also with many mods, 900HP..

Nuf said:
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

I never said I wanted a GTR, but given the prices of them compared to GT2, you'll be left with a lot of room to set up for track. If you don't think their competitive modded look at the top 10 of one lap.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

they cant be fixed to drive nice.. Lipstick on a pig...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chobby81
I am in the process trying to find a car under 150k that can compete against the c6 zr1 and the new viper gts. How do you guys think a gt2 modded with exhaust and a tune would compare to these to cars? I ask this question bc my brother owns a 2010 zr1 and my father has pre ordered a new viper gts, we wanna do track days together but we wanna have equally matched cars. Im not much of a vette or viper guy, so i wanted to find something diff. If you guys think its a comparable car, any leads on low mile clean gt2's?

Thanks
Rob
you are misleading yourself, plus, it is not a good way to ask a question - 'to compete' is way too undecisive term. you can get an evo lancer and build it up into 1200hp area, but it is not going to run long at such boost.

if you want to do drag racing you`ll need to work with big block cars.

if you want to build a non-street legal race car then it is not about a platform at all, it is about money. if you want a street legal car for street only then i honestly do not see why to bother at all with anything.
Both GTR and Audi R8 can be tuned into stratosphere but they are heavy.
GT2 car can be tuned into high HP too but it is a big question of for how long this engine will sustain such load, so, eventually it is not about how much to pay for a donor car - it is about how much you want to spend on rebuilds and subsequent repairs after engine blows.

with race cars competitiveness is defined within a given class, so, it is a first thing to define and then look for a suitable chassis to fit into given class restrictions.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

You dont pass them often at speed as they go into the pit with warning lights on the dash.. I instructed in one a few weeks ago. Much worse than I expected, they really get bent out of shape over bumps.

It was a well set up car also with many mods, 900HP..

Nuf said:
well, i disagree. it is a matter of having good tuning shop to work on those cars. they have figured it by now, they have 2 or 3 additional intercoolers, they have better software so drivetrain can be stable within limits for 30min or so at max power. and imho they tune it to 700hp somewhat for racing applications, 900hp+ is for street ricers... i saw many such cars at lime rock and they pass me like i am not moving but in the corners they cannot run fast at all, even my car has way more grip and i have 0 aero. still thanks to engine they are fast enough to run 56-57sec laps at lime rock, which is pretty good. 997 cup car in good hands runs 54-56sec laps there, for comparison, and anything under minute is imho considered decent.

you cannot trim extra weight, and even with huge computer controlled rear wing it still does not stick as well as old 996 cup car does and to build up GTR like that would cost probably twice as much compared to 996 cup car, so, it is all about money. and if you cook up GTR motor it is again pretty much close to what you pay for cup motor rebuild. and most importantly, to work on any nissan car is an undescribable sadomasochism, especially after so beatifully engineered p-car that can be taken apart right there in the paddock and placed back together with a minimal effort.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM
997GT3Girly
Instructor

they cant be fixed to drive nice.. Lipstick on a pig...
I almost spit my drink out of my mouth when reading this. But oh so true...

People get so bent on this car and try to defend it so bad for whatever reason. Most who do that have NEVER owned or driven one either. LOL
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by chobby81
I am in the process trying to find a car under 150k that can compete against the c6 zr1 and the new viper gts. How do you guys think a gt2 modded with exhaust and a tune would compare to these to cars? I ask this question bc my brother owns a 2010 zr1 and my father has pre ordered a new viper gts, we wanna do track days together but we wanna have equally matched cars. Im not much of a vette or viper guy, so i wanted to find something diff. If you guys think its a comparable car, any leads on low mile clean gt2's?

Thanks
Rob
Rob, if you're still out there, make this a bit easier:

1. How much track experience do you guys have?
2. How often will you really visit the track?
3. Where do you live, what type of roads do you have available?

Not making any assumptions, but if you guys haven't spent alot of time on the track, then 'competing' isn't really an issue. Traction in the ZR1 and Viper is a challenge... so forget exhausts and chips and learn the track, a GT2 or even a GT3 will be fine (again, assuming they don't have loads of track experience).

On the street, I like one of the opinions above... Turbo S. Your advantage will be TRACTION... from a stop, you'll be lethal... they'll need some road to overcome... and on a wet or grimey road, they're history. I don't think you need a 1000hp modded, immediately depreciating, and potentially unreliable ride to get what you want (but if that makes you happy, go for it). A Turbo S at ~530hp is a great start, I suppose you could get a name-brand upgrade to 650hp if you must. That would be a street killer and good enough for an occassional track day.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

i had a chance to drive new turbo car with pdk - it is very fun to drive and pdk helps a LOT considering narrow RPM rangeon a turbo car, you do not feel boost loss during shifts at all, it was very, very nice.
i actually liked it a lot, it has a lot of power indeed, but still quite expensive. used gt2 will be cheaper and for track fun would be a way better choice for someone who is concerned about motor power alone.
also, gt2 motor will not have some ims issues regular turbo motor had, but not sure how much is that relevant to turbo S motors, i did not bother to check if it was same one as in 2007 cars or different internally.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on Turbo S

I had fun chasing a turbo s at recent midohio hpde event. He could easily pull away from my 4.0L RS on the back straight. Not sure if it was pdk or extra hp/torque of the turbo. Either way, I imagine it's a great car for your stated usage.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's not overthink this here. Sounds like the guy wants a comparable car of a different make. Sounds like he has good idea of the direction he wants to take. A GT2 is an excellent starting point. Similar weight, just needs a few ponies to make it even in the hp department. Then he will have the drivers race he seems to be looking for.

Just get the GT2 already.

Quick Reply: gt2 vs c6 zr1 vs 2013 viper gts