Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

FS: 2007 GT3RS - Orange

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
If I find one like jenk12m's for $105k I'm snapping it up.
1st in line....

Sorry.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:59 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

those were the prices 2 years ago, since then, they have gone back up big time.
Some 997.2RS even went for 100k during those crazy times.
Right now seems like economy is red hot and price are at a all time high
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
If I find one like jenk12m's for $105k I'm snapping it up.
add $30k and you're in the average ballpark for 3.8RS today.

3.8RS are not lasting in the used market, so I think they will continue to gain on resale regardless of what VW Group releases as a next GT3 (aka 991 Carrera GTS)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
add $30k and you're in the average ballpark for 3.8RS today.

3.8RS are not lasting in the used market, so I think they will continue to gain on resale regardless of what VW Group releases as a next GT3 (aka 991 Carrera GTS)
prob right but why? I really cant figure consider these are not rare cars. Are the purist worried the 991 gt cars will be that GT cars?
tks
Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
prob right but why? I really cant figure consider these are not rare cars. Are the purist worried the 991 gt cars will be that GT cars?
tks
supply/demand

VW stopped producing them back in 2011 while the demand continues. Basic market rule.

I expect they will continue to appreciate and settle in the $140k-$165k range (depending on MY and options).

If VW Group doesn't fix the mess that is coming in the next 991 GT3 and 991 GT3 RS (lack of racing, non-racing engine, lots of electronic gizmos, the absurd electric steering with almost zero feedback, dynamic aero, 20" wheels, no dry-sump), it is only going to get better for the 3.8RS/4.0RS resale values.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Welcome to the forums Jamie!

I've had an E46 M3 6-speed a while ago and while it was a very well rounded, enjoyable car, there is NO replacement for the visceral, driver-connected feeling you get with a Porsche GT3. Not only will you be smiling ear to ear, you'll be patting yourself on the back from all the savings as well.

I hope you'll find RL as helpful as I have. I stumbled upon RL when I was looking for the "right" 997.2 GT3. My situation was much like yours -> saw a great car, don't know why it's lasted so long on the market, and pulled the trigger quickly. (Found the thread below: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-2010-gt3.html)

I also live in the PNWR and completely relate to buying a car on the other side of the continent. As Peter mentioned, might give you better piece of mind to have the car PPI'd at Champion vs. Orbit (avoids conflict of interest). However, with Orbit's and Peter's (TRAKCAR) reputation, it removed all my fears of the typical asymmetric information when buying used cars.

+2 on doing a "Florida delivery". Enjoy the car at some world-class tracks with great people before taking the car home! Here's the link to my experience in FL last month: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...deo-heavy.html (can't ever thank Peter and Eddie at Orbit enough for the great memories for life! )
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
+1 On Intercity and spending a few days with the car in Florida
I have used Intercity with all my toys, they are the best.

Reliable Carriers is more expensive, and offers shorter pick-up/drop-off times.

Either one is at the top.

If you fly from Seattle, check trackweekend.com, and you might have the chance to run 1 or 2 track days locally before shipping the car to Seattle.
A low miles 2007 GT3 RS is a $105k car, then it needs the following (mandatory if tracked)

1.- New LSD (Guard or OSGiken)
2.- New rear sway bar or GMG sway bars (I prefer the GMG units)
3.- Harnesses
4.- Race Seats ($$ or $$$$$)
5.- Rollbar
6.- Track brake pads
7.- Track brake fluid
8.- Coolant fittings welded (or dump coolant and pay repair bill to racetrack and other cars involved in accident)
9.- track wheels and tires
10.- alignment and corner weights
11.- revalved shocks and new springs, or a new coilover kit, PASM wasn't worthy until 2010
12.- Toe links to keep the rear from sending car to the wall

These upgrades add another $20k. Low miles 07RS ends up being a $125k, so a buyer ends up spending near $50k extra to buy a low miles car. $50k buys a spare 996 GT3, and almost pays for Erik's car.

For a street/track car, Erik's car is a bargain.

I sold my 996 GT3 back in 2008 with the same mileage, lots of upgrades, and the car lasted a few days in the market. What was missing from Erik's ad is the track mileage and track hours. My old 996 GT3 had around 3,000 track miles out of 34,000 total miles, somewhere in the 35 track hours on the street engine that runs for 200 track hours easily. It must be way over 50k miles with the 4th owner now, and it runs strong as shown on recent videos.

Just a few days ago, a 997.1 RS went to a dealer on trade-in for $90k, over 15k miles, car hit the market at $100k days later, and it sold within 2 weeks of being traded-in.

There are only a handful of 997.1 GT3 RS (around 500 units), it is the best looking GT3 ever made and they are difficult to come by.
Originally Posted by Mvez
Intercity or Reliable. Trust me, I love my E46 M3, but it's been in storage since I got the RS....there's simply no comparison. Do it my friend!
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Jamie you are buying a good car. Erik is Mr. Smooth, does not hack or beat on the car, yet put down great laptimes.

I have pushed my brother to buy it, but something bla, bla about my niece turning 2 years old soon, babies being expensive, bla bla...

There are easy 20 RL's that know this car very well. 1000% sure it was never damaged or we would know.
Nothing was broken besides what you have been told about the knows cooling lines, clutch etc. etc.

The smart money buyes everything Erik has with the car and you end up with the cheapest RS in the country.

FWIW, Champion does PPI for about $200.00, I did it with my car for Stephen who bought it. I did it just so it was a Porsche dealer and not just our friends at Orbit. But anyone who knows, knows that Orbits will do a proper PPI.

This car has a lot of street miles. Erik lives in Juno Beach and drove it to Sebring and Homestead. He plays 2x a week in Boca. Google map it and do the math.

Whomever buys this car will drive it for nearly free for at least a couple of years. Some of that due to the color and some of that due to the parts that come with the car for easy resale.

I mean go find a 2004/2005 996GT3 for less then $40K, good luck with that and if they are super clean they are almost the same as the final cost of Erik's car, if you factor in actually driving the car, depreciation and the extra sets of wheels, seats etc. etc.

Thanks for the kind words, advice and encouragement. The car goes in for PPI including compression and leak down. Based on everything I've heard I expect no surprises.

Not sure if I have time for track days in Florida, but would be awesome!!

You guys will laugh but I track my 9psi SC'd 2003 M5. Its only downfall is weight... It's too damn heavy, so hard on pads, rotors tires... Etc... It is fun and right now I can get around and stay around everything except GT3's and gtr's (but those drive themselves...)

I'm hopeful that all will work out and I can bring this beautiful car home!!

Thanks and I'm sure I'll be in here asking lots of stupid questions!

Jamie
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Jamie,

Yes it's HOT in FL this time of year but when will you ever again get the chance to drive Sebring I know if I was picking up a car on the Left Coast I would be hitting a few tracks before I shipped the car home. Eddie, Erik, myself, and other FL Rennlisters would make you welcome.

Peter
Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Jamie,

Yes it's HOT in FL this time of year but when will you ever again get the chance to drive Sebring I know if I was picking up a car on the Left Coast I would be hitting a few tracks before I shipped the car home. Eddie, Erik, myself, and other FL Rennlisters would make you welcome.

Peter
Completely agree with Peter. Get tests done and do some events down here.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PBIR is only 15 minutes from Orbit and PCA has one day event on Saturday 28th . Not a great track but close. Not sure who's running Sebring coming 2 weekends
Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Orbit r
Former Vendor

Pending sale...
Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

nice, nice.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:13 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

about freaken time
Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Flights out to pick it up next Wednesday night, will be driving it home so track time will likely have to wait... I know I"m missing out as I will not likely be able to make it to Sebring or other famous tracks in the area, but such is life! Have 3500 miles of America to get done by Sunday night!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Congratulations!

I will still be on Mancation in Tremblant Thursday when you get in, too bad i dont get to say hello, but what a cool ride back home!!
It's what 60 hours driving time?? Where is home?

That is a lot of driving in an RS, brave man. Hopefully you are bringing radar detectors and a passenger with binoculars and bail money.

Please post pictures of your trip
Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Road trip of all road trips. I'll let Jamie post compression and leakdown #'s for those who are nervous about buying a car with more then 5000 miles.

Quick Reply: FS: 2007 GT3RS - Orange