Any 4.0's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
GT3DE and Trakcar.

You're cordially invited to the NASA event in October at Sebring to run in class TTU. Hoosier makes cheap slicks for your cars, same price as R6 but massively faster. You two can give it a shot for 2:10-2:14, grab the class record, and walk away with 4 free tires for 1st place, and 2 free tires for 2nd place.

Are you in or are you out?

Based on your abysmal lap times at Road Atlanta, I don't think you could break into 2:16s in October, or 2:14s in January.
I did a 2:18 IN A REGULAR gt3, not an RS. Give me a 4.0 with blues, I got your 14, easily in January.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1

One of the hardest things most 7 Cup drivers had to learn, even with the auto blipper, after coming from a 6 Cup or other manual trans car, is the timing of the clutch application is vastly different, and has to be instantaneous with the downshift.
Thats odd - I didn't find the timing to be difficult. Usually with a manual tranny you time the clutch application with the rhythm of the shifter itself (which takes a few fractions of a second), so, as you said, you're slower. As soon as you step into the Cup and get the instant BANG, your clutch application almost immediately become more synchronized and direct. Took me half a lap anyway to start getting it to feel right. Maybe easier for some than others.

Edit: Getting the auto-blipper set up right makes a MASSIVE difference.

As for the lap times...

GT3RS4.0 will be faster than 996 Cup, or very, very close. On slicks it will be faster. 3.8RS on slicks will be pretty close.

Any properly driven 997 Cup is quicker than any road GT3 in any configuration, slicks or otherwise. I would point out that there is such a huge spread of ability in the 997 cups, that even someone who is a pro, and "quick" would be 1.5s off the top SuperCup guys.

As for fiats... what to say. The scuderia is a lovely car, friend has one, they are quite exciting. But while Ferrari has a stronger racing pedigree these days, Porsche still build the better "gateway" car, the GT3.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I did a 2:18 IN A REGULAR gt3, not an RS. Give me a 4.0 with blues, I got your 14, easily in January.

Says who? your obsolote iPhone 3gs and the erratic Larry's Lap Timer?

I was doing 19s and 20s and passing you with ease, your 18s are an illusion.

I think regular 3.8 GT3 works the same for lap times as 3.8GT3RS at Sebring. 2nd gear at T3, T7, T10, T13, T16

Put real timing equipment in your car.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryf
Here's the link to the scud pix on AI website. Easier to click thru than paste. Soon as 4.0 is delivered, I'll put up some shots

http://aidesign.com/our-work/recent-...ria-track-prep
Those guys at AI also did the radar detector in my car. It's in their archived projects.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
GT3DE and Trakcar.

You're cordially invited to the NASA event in October at Sebring to run in class TTU. Hoosier makes cheap slicks for your cars, same price as R6 but massively faster. You two can give it a shot for 2:10-2:14, grab the class record, and walk away with 4 free tires for 1st place, and 2 free tires for 2nd place.

Are you in or are you out?

Based on your abysmal lap times at Road Atlanta, I don't think you could break into 2:16s in October, or 2:14s in January.

And I'm not mocking you, that was seriously funny. One thing about you, you sure aren't afraid to walk the walk.

I don't think Peter is 9 seconds off the pace of his car on slicks. I do think a 996 Cup can do 2:10-2:11, dunno about a 3.8 RS. That's what only 3 seconds slower than a 2011 cup?

You guys do know the 2010+ Cups are hitting over 160 mph at Road Atlanta with no telling how much wing in it. Almost 150 on the front straight and 130 between 5 and 6. Even with some power shifting, I doubt the 3.8's will get that high.

I don't think the street cars have enough giddy up to stay in that range. Low torque NA powerband suffers the most from a manual shifter compared to a sequential. That car is barely slower than mine in a straight line. On longer tracks like Sebring Road Atlanta, you will not brake as fast, corner as fast or accelerate as fast.

The acceleration from those tiny tilton clutches is astounding. Throwing on some slicks in a full weight manual street car is not going to get you within a couple of seconds of the cups.

IMO

BTW Rad are you talking about the event at which you will be coming in at a highest of 2nd place?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,757 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
Thats odd - I didn't find the timing to be difficult. Usually with a manual tranny you time the clutch application with the rhythm of the shifter itself (which takes a few fractions of a second), so, as you said, you're slower. As soon as you step into the Cup and get the instant BANG, your clutch application almost immediately become more synchronized and direct. Took me half a lap anyway to start getting it to feel right. Maybe easier for some than others.

Edit: Getting the auto-blipper set up right makes a MASSIVE difference.

As for the lap times...

GT3RS4.0 will be faster than 996 Cup, or very, very close. On slicks it will be faster. 3.8RS on slicks will be pretty close.

Any properly driven 997 Cup is quicker than any road GT3 in any configuration, slicks or otherwise. I would point out that there is such a huge spread of ability in the 997 cups, that even someone who is a pro, and "quick" would be 1.5s off the top SuperCup guys.

As for fiats... what to say. The scuderia is a lovely car, friend has one, they are quite exciting. But while Ferrari has a stronger racing pedigree these days, Porsche still build the better "gateway" car, the GT3.
Exactly.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So after all that being said above - "ANY 4.0's FOR SALE"?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
Thats odd - I didn't find the timing to be difficult.

Any properly driven 997 Cup is quicker than any road GT3 in any configuration, slicks or otherwise.
First point: of course you didn't I have watched your videos, you are a very talented driver. Most who have taken up the 7 Cups are not as talented, hence my point. Which is why early on, 7 trannies were being replaced almost as frequently as tires....and which is why the auto blipper came into being.

Originally Posted by wanna911

I do think a 996 Cup can do 2:10-2:11, dunno about a 3.8 RS. That's what only 3 seconds slower than a 2011 cup?

You guys do know the 2010+ Cups are hitting over 160 mph at Road Atlanta with no telling how much wing in it. Almost 150 on the front straight and 130 between 5 and 6. Even with some power shifting, I doubt the 3.8's will get that high.

I don't think the street cars have enough giddy up to stay in that range. Low torque NA powerband suffers the most from a manual shifter compared to a sequential. That car is barely slower than mine in a straight line. On longer tracks like Sebring Road Atlanta, you will not brake as fast, corner as fast or accelerate as fast.

The acceleration from those tiny tilton clutches is astounding. Throwing on some slicks in a full weight manual street car is not going to get you within a couple of seconds of the cups.

IMO

Well driven fresh 6 Cup on sticker Blues will hit 2:10 at Sebring in the right hands on the right day.

+1, Later 7 Cups are MUCH faster than early ones, as you say, and there is no way any street car will keep up. Additionally, there is much to be said for a fully caged, purpose built race car with full fire suppression making it more comfortable to really push...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back on point: only one at Carlsen that is stealer priced. This other lap time smack talk can be started in a new thread..........
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u let that car go???
bite the bullet and get one.
Sell me yours.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Back on point: only one at Carlsen that is stealer priced. This other lap time smack talk can be started in a new thread..........
thanks Larry

I see there is still for sale one in Toronto Ontario at Pfaff for a mere $255,000.00

http://www.pfaffporsche.com/preowned...92666/info.php
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
BTW, do you really need a GT2RS and a 4.0RS with the Fiat arriving and all?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,757 Likes on 923 Posts

Relax Peter. When 991 GT3 RS comes out people will be crying about getting walked in their RS 4.0 just like the 3.8 guys are now. Then you'll be able to find one at a proper price.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Relax Peter.
Funny....

Already called Jeff. No go. Wish I has some dirt of Jeff so I could blackmail him out of my 4.0..
Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks.
BTW, do you really need a GT2RS and a 4.0RS with the Fiat arriving and all?
I'll have to show that "iron list" (below) to my wife to help her understand my having 2 x P cars is more than reasonable.
Current Iron:
'12 Aston Martin V12 Vantage
'11 GT2RS
'11 GT3RS 4.0
'10 Cayman S Interseries Martini Racing Livery
'09 430 Scud
'08 RS4 Cab

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?