Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any 4.0's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who ever bad mouth them, never drove or had a sorted boosted car, or maybe can't drive them.
I still miss my GT2. Maybe I'll go back to another one if I find the right car for the right price.
A GT3 should look like a moving chicane close to a sorted GT TWICE.
Not for everyone that's for sure.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can't sound like GT3's with those hair dryers. Use some man's size turbos and than tell me what do you think.
They do sound mean as hell with the proper exhaust.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
the redline is under 7,000 rpm.
LOL who gives a **** when it makes well over 500 lb-ft of torque?

As I said previously, to me the GT2RS is the 997.2 sleeper. An underappreciated overachiever.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
They can't sound like GT3's with those hair dryers. Use some man's size turbos and than tell me what do you think.
Bone stock with loud exhaust sounds good? Inside the car?
My 65 was whisper quiet inside and loud as hell behind it. Louder then GT3 both at idle.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

As I said previously, to me the GT2RS is the 997.2 sleeper. An underappreciated overachiever.
So are Z06, Viper and GTR, great for bullying but they drive like garbage trucks.. Won't be that bad I'm sure but it's so subjective.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Unless someone lets me borrow a GT2RS..
Izzone got to drive Paul's car and Eddie is still jabbering about his GT2+.
Why pay $250k for a GT2 RS?

The improvements on the GT2 RS over 7GT2 are nice, but way overpriced. The GT2 RS is heavier than the 4.0RS, but just 25 lbs, because it comes standard with PCCB and that offsets the Turbo and intercoolers weight. The standard 7GT2 also came with mandatory PCCB, and it is not that much heavier than the GT2 RS (less than 50 lbs heavier)

- A 7GT2 can have a better suspension than a GT2 RS for under $10k
- A 7GT2 can have more power, and better engine response than a GT2 RS (have bbi do the work) for under $10k
- A 7GT2 can have better Aero than a GT2 RS for under $10k
- A 7GT2 can have a better diff and lwfw for $5k
- 7GT2 are $120k cars today

How could a GT2 RS be any better than a properly upgraded 7GT2 with $35k on parts and labor (and I'm being exaggerated with prices ) ?

You go and get a fast GT2 RS or build a 7GT2, it will crush everything out there, except my affordable AeroBeetle project.

The formula of lots of weight and lots of power has been tried and tested. Add AWD and you just made a 997TT clone or a Nissan GTR clone.

Keep your 3.8RS, get a spare car that can crush a 4.0RS and a GT2 RS.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Turbo Diesels make great torque too, they might be extremely exciting for some drivers. The Viper 8.4 V10 has monster torque, it might me exciting for some drivers too.

I prefer high RPM normally aspirated engines, anything with 8,500rpm-9,000 rpm redline, I prefer a liter SuperBike engine than a H-D Vtwin engine. I prefer the sound of the Aston LMP1 car than the Audi/Peugeot LMP1 cars. I prefer the sound of a F1 2.4L V8 car than the sound of a Cummings TD powerplant.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
They don't sound nice at all. Mean? Yes (when modified), Nice sound? nope.

Just re-play videos of GT3 running in a pack, and try to get that from a pack or Nissan GTR, GT2, 997TT and the likes.

For me, quality sound is part of the experience, that's why my Fiat has gone through 9 different exhaust configurations, in the quest to find the ideal sound.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So are Z06, Viper and GTR, great for bullying but they drive like garbage trucks.. Won't be that bad I'm sure but it's so subjective.
True. However, the GT2RS drives like the 4.0. No garbage truck there, endless torque everywhere....

Turbo Diesels make great torque too, they might be extremely exciting for some drivers. The Viper 8.4 V10 has monster torque, it might me exciting for some drivers too.
Wow, non sequitur much?

Remember, horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races.

But again, enjoy your own opinion...

my Fiat has gone through 9 different exhaust configurations, in the quest to find the ideal sound.
On a car that has FANTASTIC sound direct and unmodified from Maranello?

Says it all right there...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were driving little dinky tracks like GingerMan or Grattan, or even Autobahn, I'd prefer the NA car. But those sorts of tracks are only fun in karts in my opinion. I like driving cars on big tracks with large radius turns like Big Willow, Laguna Seca, Road America and Road Atlanta, and for that I definitely prefer my turbocharged cars. And for tracks that have a mixture of both like Mid Ohio I would hedge towards the more powerful car.

FYI VR I agree the OE 997 GT2 is a bit laggy with rather strange shock tuning to boot- nothing that a bit of cash and some intelligent thought behind the changes can't fix.

Rad- sound is important to you. We get it. Spinning the motor up high vs. getting power in the midrange does only one thing- wears out the motor quicker. Think through it with your head- torque is torque no matter where it is in the rpm range, HP is a multiplier of torque and rate it is given. For a street car, wearing it out quickly serves no purpose. Going fast, and feeling like you're going fast are very different concepts. The exhaust wail you like so much is a function of the latter. A good example you may appreciate (even without a point of reference) from karting would be a Yamaha KT100 w/18hp @17krpm vs a Rotax Max w28HP @ 12krpm. Which would be faster? I guarantee you the RMax is heaps quicker, and costs far less to maintain even though the Yammy's entry cost is far lower to begin with.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
FYI VR I agree the OE 997 GT2 is a bit laggy with rather strange shock tuning to boot- nothing that a bit of cash and some intelligent thought behind the changes can't fix.
THAT was it right there!!!--the shock tuning was retarded. I expected the lag (as I did in the .2 GT2RS...thankfully it was not there ). But the suspension was horrible.

Quite a wonderful revelation in the new car. I needed a cigarette after droving it.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Come on up to Road America some time after the first week of June and I'll meet you there, you can take my 3.8l GT2 out for a session... I bet a ciggy won't be enough after that!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Come on up to Road America some time after the first week of June and I'll meet you there, you can take my 3.8l GT2 out for a session... I bet a ciggy won't be enough after that!

If I am up that way coaching, I'll holla...thanks!

How have you made your suspension tolerable?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is one Turbo engine in a Production car that I like a lot.

It is a Ricardo V8 3.8, super lightweight, 8,500rpm redline and Twin Turbocharged.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

If I am up that way coaching, I'll holla...thanks!

How have you made your suspension tolerable?
Heims, rake, big fatty fronts, and Ohlins w/456 tenders and 1313 mains on the rear. We'll run out of brake before we run out of pointy front end!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

There is one Turbo engine in a Production car that I like a lot.

It is a Ricardo V8 3.8, super lightweight, 8,500rpm redline and Twin Turbocharged.
I bet I could like a GT2RS a lot..but since I can't drive one I'd settle for a Turbo S with a nice adjustable suspension.

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?