Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Looks like my 3.8 Dyno pull.
I'd like to see GT2 Dyno pull.

I don't like the new 4.0 steering wheel at all but whatever.

Lighter, just the weight reduction of cf fenders and hood right? How much is that?
3.8RS should have CF cup fenders Orbit is seeing if 275 will fit. I have 3 piece BBS so easy to make 10".

I can see a 4.3l engine build, add fenders and call it a day.
I ran 275 RA1 in the front of a 996 GT3 with 8.5x18 and 10x18 under the stock fenders. The key to run a wide tire is to play with the strut tops, I had a Manthey Racing Strut Top that gave me 7mm of extra inner clearance compared to the rotated (for more inner space) stock camber plates. I also went with narrower springs (2.25" ID), so I would get extra clearance. Push the strut tops all the way in, and done. This same 996 ran 285 A6, 280 Yoko slicks, and GY R370 slicks that are a tad wider than 280mm.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:52 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lighter, just the weight reduction of cf fenders and hood right? How much is that?
3.8RS should have CF cup fenders Orbit is seeing if 275 will fit. I have 3 piece BBS so easy to make 10".

I can see a 4.3l engine build, add fenders and call it a day.
22 lbs lighter.

A 3.8 GT3RS with a 4.3 engine build, GrandAm wider carbon fenders ? That would leave the 4.0RS in the mirrors (my Fiat too).
Old 06-03-2012, 08:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

With grandma fenders, 10" 275 would fit just with a wider outside lip on the wheel?
22lbs is not much for me. A li-ion battery saves more.. Hmm maybe I should keep the battery.

Can you guess at improvement laptime RA1/Nitto 275 front instead of 245?

Fastest car of all would be GT2 wider front wheels and some GT2RS upgrades me thinks.
Even faster then 4.3l RS right?!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porsche describes the 0-100 mph time in the 997 GT2 at: 7.4 secs (stupid fast), bone stock.

Here are a couple of charts from board sponsors GMG and Sharwerks. Check the torque range, out of proportion compared to our weak normally aspirated engines.

Small tune, and they are already near 540whp, almost 100 whp on top of a 4.0RS.

For an entry price of $100k-$110k these days, the 997 GT2 is a bargain, but you must like low RPM, Turbo noises, mute engine sound, and 2 stages power delivery. My low lag 335i and Pepper TT behave well on that end, but the stock 997 GT2 not so much, there is annoying lag under 3,500rpm, a good tuner should be able to reduce it.

Keep the battery, I kept mine, almost sold it and fortunately decided to keep it, it is cheap weight reduction, and it is nicer than any stock brick.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

At an autoX I would guess no more than 0.3 secs on a 45 secs course.

At tracks like Sebring, Daytona, Homestead, it is a little hard to calculate, Sebring seems to penalize cars with high drag or high downforce, there are too many high speed sections at Sebring where the extra drag would hurt. It is a matter of doing testing with 2 different sets of front wheels at multiple tracks (9x18 on 245 vs. 10x18 on 275).

The fat front tires will help at slow corners, but will hurt at high speed.

Back in California when I had the SpecBoxster, the SPBox guys did testing with the R888 255 square setup and 225/255 which was the spec, at Willow Springs there was a loss of 2mph on stop speed with the square tires.

My faster ever top speed at Sebring was done on my skinny 245/285 RE11 tires and not the 295/345 A6 I ran the same weekend, despite of lapping faster on A6. If the problem on turn exit is front grip, the fat tire helps (as long as there is enough weight to use it), but the Aero Beetles always struggle on the rear end at turn exit, so the size of the front tire would not play that much help there, just later braking and turn-entry. Back to Back testing is the answer.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

With LSD the rear is plenty stable with max wing.
We could dial in more LSD on throttle and brake with 10" is my reasoning without talking to anyone who knows better.

Regarding Turbo noises; I have no ideo if I would like it. I need a test drive with Nick :-)
I will get one in July, but I already will have the new car.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those dyno sheets show a lot of boost in mid range. Not the way to go when tuning the car for our use.
Lag ?

At 3000 RPM the GT2 has more torque than a GT3 in it's peak. The car only has lag if you are driving in the wrong gear.
The VTGs generate a fair amount of heat, so very important to have the correct tune with the supporting mods.

Funny thing is the Mustang Dyno on top from GIAC shows POWER ON 4 WHEELS. I wonder if they converted their GT2 to AWD... LOL

If with proper exhaust and tune it will make more than 540WHP, but generate too much heat.
Torque and power are not a problem on those cars... nothing to worry about.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With grandma fenders, 10" 275 would fit just with a wider outside lip on the wheel?
22lbs is not much for me. A li-ion battery saves more.. Hmm maybe I should keep the battery.

Fastest car of all would be GT2 wider front wheels and some GT2RS upgrades me thinks.
Changing fenders, and hood but selling the Lion battery seems dumb!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Yeah....
Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Mass off the front end is the opposite of what you want. Sure, you could shave of it off but you'll have to compensate with even more severe spring rate differentials.

I think you're starting to see the power of the dark side...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:29 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Yeah....
peter, rad is right in that you should go with mike to the dealer and talk to them face to face. tell them what you want, and do not veer. they can't hide behind receptionists and messages then, and whatever answer they give, at least you will be able to sleep at night knowing the truth.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

For me...and those that know me know why....my dream track car is a Turbo S (comes stock with PDK) with safety options I currently have...sell the PCCB rotors to fund all the suspension mods the Turbo S would need.

For me Torque is everything.

Also from everything I've read is that Porsche solved the GT2 Turbo lag with the GT2RS
Old 06-03-2012, 10:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Not jumping on you Mike, no intention to imply you were saying anything negative about Trakcar. You said in your post the 4.0 is still at the dealer for sale which is what is the basis of the problem/question here. Why was Trakcar's deal busted and told it was sold and here it is up for sale on Ebay and on the floor?

Perhaps my point was lost to internet translation as sometimes happens. You are a good guy and I have no beef with you at all. My apology for coming across that way. My beef is with dealership reps that cut deals and then bust them. I had this happen on a 335i some years ago and am still PO'ed about it, arranged the deal, signed faxed docs, placed deposit and car was not available when I arrived at dealer. Maybe I am old fashioned but I refuse to support dealers who do this.
It's all good...thanks...hard to read on internet.

It's a long story and one I don't have every detail to about the 4.0 and 2RS at the dealer. Yeah I can totally understand how you or anyone would be mad about a deal that was cut and then the dealership backs out....this deal was not entirely like that....and the sales guy and manager and potential buyer and current owner communication might not have been good.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
For me...and those that know me know why....my dream track car is a Turbo S (comes stock with PDK) with safety options I currently have...sell the PCCB rotors to fund all the suspension mods the Turbo S would need.

For me Torque is everything.

Also from everything I've read is that Porsche solved the GT2 Turbo lag with the GT2RS
mike, if there is lag on those cars, a GT3 is a GT2 with never ending lag
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Those dyno sheets show a lot of boost in mid range. Not the way to go when tuning the car for our use.
Lag ?

At 3000 RPM the GT2 has more torque than a GT3 in it's peak. The car only has lag if you are driving in the wrong gear.
The VTGs generate a fair amount of heat, so very important to have the correct tune with the supporting mods.

Funny thing is the Mustang Dyno on top from GIAC shows POWER ON 4 WHEELS. I wonder if they converted their GT2 to AWD... LOL

If with proper exhaust and tune it will make more than 540WHP, but generate too much heat.
Torque and power are not a problem on those cars... nothing to worry about.
Eddie, I'm talking about off the gas at or below 3,500 rpm in the 997 GT2 and back to the gas, there is lag, not as bad as the X50 996 Turbo or the 996 GT2, but bothering lag.

I have not driven a properly modified 996/997 Turbo engine yet, but if lag is not found, that's serious trouble for us normally aspirated guys.

A full gas single gear pull on a dyno is different than slowing down, trail braking, rotating, getting on the gas and nothing happens, then sudden wooshh.

The stock 997 GT2 is laggy, and so is the 997.1 Mezger Turbo, and I have driven both.

At Sebring T7, the stock 997 GT2 gets to 3300rpm, it cannot go down to 1st, 2nd gear is the right gear, while lagging, Fiat is long gone.

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?