Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any 4.0's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Regarding Turbo noises; I have no ideo if I would like it. I need a test drive with Nick :-)
Here are a couple "vacuum cleaner from hell" videos. 100% stock, MPSC, point and squirt style driving. It is a fact the car has turbo lag, easily seen in T2 at LS for example. Unless you have a far more agile third leg than I do, or can get into 1st gear there, I don't know how you avoid lag in corners like that. I suspect the differing opinions regarding lag are due to experiences on different tracks. I owned the car and I know it had lag. First to admit I am not the fastest guy on either of those tracks.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you, savvy, for clarifying the issue of lag, for the turbo-heads out there.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Thanks, that's interesting!
I think on tight tracks the lower rev limiter and lag is not much of an advantage or even a disadvantage!

But OMG is it fast! On the wide open south east track it would be crazy fast. I bet my driving would deteriorate rapidly! Why worry about Apex speed LOL.

And I wonder if I really need to go 170MPH into T17 ;-)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

turbo not for you. try it out though.....but don't buy one.
you need 4.0
or you will end up spending $80k in mods on your new 3.8
they all add up. i've made the mistake of using a calculator before.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I dunno, that video looks like a lot of fun.
Dollar for dollar I'd lean more towards an GT2RS then a 4.0 now.

I would not put 80K in my 3.8 RS.
Well, maybe next year a 4.3L and cup fenders. Then maybe some uprights. **** that's 80K..

Risky business..
Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Reter,

Here is a nice review that Carlos and Andrea put together at AxisofOversteer on the 997 GT2. This is a few months after Carlos got the Scuderia. He still has the Scuderia, and has been tracking the 3.8 GT3 Cup with IMSA, he will be running this weekend at Montreal.

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2010...97-gt2-vs.html

Carlos, Andrea and I met 10 years ago autocrossing in the NorthEast. You can download the Traqmate data from the article and run some comparisons to your 3.8RS.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Thanks, that's interesting!
I think on tight tracks the lower rev limiter and lag is not much of an advantage or even a disadvantage!

But OMG is it fast! On the wide open south east track it would be crazy fast. I bet my driving would deteriorate rapidly! Why worry about Apex speed LOL.

And I wonder if I really need to go 170MPH into T17 ;-)
Once the boost comes on, it is like a catapult launch off a carrier. Every gear shift is Christmas morning...lol. For me it was not confidence inspiring because I didn't have enough seat time to know when and how hard the boost would hit on corner exit. The 4.0 power is so linear and predictable it is a much easier learning curve. For a high intermediate to advanced driver the 2RS would be great fun to learn to master, and no doubt it would outrun most anything on track.

My personal preference would be: 4.0 -> 2RS -> 3RS.

Remember, until the boost comes on a 2RS is "just" a 3.6 engine. Preuninger himself said "no replacement for displacement"
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Awesome Rad, too bad I have no data from Monticello.
I'd take a GT2 over a Scud, even at same money.

Pete, the fun of driving might be less in a Turbo, the fun of learning might be more as the same, just faster 4.0?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Hmm.

How to drive fast and how people set up their cars isn't really touched upon.

With an aggressive diff like those we tend to get specced from Guard, lockup occurs either when braking or accelerating. Do either, and the car will naturally want to point straight. Do either with the wheel turned and it will STILL want to point straight. You are effectively fighting the car setup, a locked diff is effectively a solid axle. If you drive it trail braking etc. it would be no wonder to me why people complain about overused brakes and poor wearing tires along with ultra aggressive alignments in order to make it "work". Brake and slow down... Brake and turn, slow down even more from frictional loss.

I guess I'm just a road race karter at heart and that's how I approach it.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:40 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome Rad, too bad I have no data from Monticello.
I'd take a GT2 over a Scud, even at same money.

Pete, the fun of driving might be less in a Turbo, the fun of learning might be more as the same, just faster 4.0?
Just break a segment where the cars are going in straight line with the same entry speed in segment (Sebring T16-T17), and compare acceleration rate on your 3.8RS against the data from Carlos on the Scuderia and 997 GT2.

Carlos's Scuderia and 7GT2 are bone stock.

I have a test sheet from car and driver where the GT2 RS beats the 458 Italia from 70mph-150mph by almost 1 second, despite of the Italia having the super quick DCT gearbox and the GT2 RS having a manual transmission. On the same test sheet, the GT2 RS ran 0-100 at 6.6 secs, almost 1 second faster than a 997 GT2.

...and it is no secret that a tuned 997 GT2 can produce more power than a GT2 RS.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

karters don't take foot off accelerator - just dab left foot mid turn.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Gaving doing two laps at Sebring with Paul's GT2RS.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
karters don't take foot off accelerator - just dab left foot mid turn.
You definitely don't know what I am talking about.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Both great cars, it is a matter of personal preference. If you desire the challenge of needing to stay ahead of the car to be fast, then the 2RS is the choice. If you are a lazy driver the 2RS might be slower lap times for you. Maybe that is another way to think about it? You are going that much faster at the end of a straight while corner speeds are roughly the same, so your driving ability needs to be able to deal with that as well.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Once the boost comes on, it is like a catapult launch off a carrier. Every gear shift is Christmas morning...lol. For me it was not confidence inspiring because I didn't have enough seat time to know when and how hard the boost would hit on corner exit. The 4.0 power is so linear and predictable it is a much easier learning curve. For a high intermediate to advanced driver the 2RS would be great fun to learn to master, and no doubt it would outrun most anything on track.

My personal preference would be: 4.0 -> 2RS -> 3RS.

Remember, until the boost comes on a 2RS is "just" a 3.6 engine. Preuninger himself said "no replacement for displacement"
Ive driven GT2RS at Sebring, .2RS at Sebring and Juan 4.0 on street

Flame me.....but I do not thnk a 4.0 is worth $100k over a 3.8RS......maybe for baller status at cars and cafe. With 100K you can make a 3.8RS a much much much faster track car

Id take a GT2RS over any car, hands down.......if I could afford one

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?