aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree 1000%
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

It's nice to see you coming around to my suggestion of the GT2RS...
Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 218 Posts

With the GT2 RS, the ZR1s and Vipers won't go blowing by you anymore!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
Just read this whole thread .......... quiet Friday night !

Down the road, I think that the RS4.0 which will hold the most value will be the ones spec'd to the "purest" form, in keeping with the original '73 RS Light weights all the way to the Cup cars !

Things like funky colors, Radio delete, Thicker wheel, light weight sport seats, etc..... and these particular examples (just as the '73 RS light weights) are few and far between.

History has shown that the loaded examples ie: tons o' carbon, front end lift, "Tucker headlights", Nav, Blutooth, etc.... will NOT be as sought after as the "Pure" examples !
well damn, you lucked out again. you got the color and the right options!
i have *** white with nipple lights and ear bleeder (aka radio). but when i had only 3 min to decide on spec.... i faltered.

BTW: msrp = 185k
destination = 950
gas guzzler = 1700
so the absolute lowerst msrp car is 187650.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:19 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Baron,

You are my favorite ever RL member.

Sadly, I could not steal your "my favorite Blue" 3.8 RS, but hopefully, your 4.0 will be up for grabs at the right time.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
With the GT2 RS, the ZR1s and Vipers won't go blowing by you anymore!
They don't blow by GT2's.

GT2RS and McLaren are in a different league. GIAC chip will bump up the boost to 1.5 bar, same as a GT2 RS. No need just yet.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:36 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
With the GT2 RS, you won't have any excuses if the ZR1s and Vipers go blowing by you anymore!
Corrected
Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Please post, interesting! Not sure I will like the 991GT3, but we will find out.

And no track support, not many local shops to choose from, no driver involvement, all nannies and driver assist, no manual option etc.

See you there in 2 months :-)
Yes Sir!

That's how I look at it..

The 991 GT3RS is years away and then still unproven for a few years more. So I have to cover 4-5 years and then it's still possible I won't like it....

Is is worth the extra money over a 3.8? No. But I want one anyway, so I am trying.
Tire test article:

Italian Footwear

By Michael Tamblyn

With a new track season upon us, my thoughts turned to pulling my P car out of storage and getting it ready for PCA's first track event. I was on my second set of Michelin Sport Cup tires, which I knew to be a solid and reliable performer, but I wanted to explore my options in choosing new rubber for a second set of rims which I had ordered. A set of Hoosier R6's had taught me that they were not suitable for street use and after a few track events, they were leaking air through the carcass of the tire. Sticky yes, practical no. Over coffee one day with Chris Pfaff of Pfaff Porsche, he encouraged me to try the new Pirelli Trofeo which was available from Pfaff Tuning. However, I was hoping to nurse a single set of track tires through an entire season, so I did not want to risk buying, without knowing more about them.

A few hours on the internet disclosed little empirical data, mostly chat room gossip and subjective opinions. So I asked Chris if he was prepared to put his Trofeos up against the competition, in a real world comparison test which measured performance in hard numbers. Chris didn't hesitate in offering up a set of tires, with support crew and a Racelogic Driftbox to accurately measure lateral and braking forces, and use of the Mosport skidpad for a day. The appointed day arrived on Easter weekend and we all arrived at the track ready to go. Pfaff Tuning was represented by hot shoe, Jeff Pabst, who will be sharing Pfaff Tuning's GT3 Cup car in the Canada Challenge this year, with Kyle Marcelli. We were also joined by your faithful editor, Kye Wankum in his beautiful white 1973 Carerra RS and photo editor, Eshel Zweig in his stunning matte black GT2. Nick and Jimmy from Pfaff Tuning had mounted the Pirelli Trofeos to a set of 911 Turbo S centrelock rims, which had a different front offset, so the Trofeos were hampered by a slightly narrower track. The air temperature was 9C when we started, warming to 12 C with the track temperature only slightly warmer.

First was a dry skidpad test with the Michelin Sport Cup tires on factory rims, less than a year old with plenty of tread depth left on them. They generated 1.09 lateral G's, on a cold ( and bumpy ) skidpad, at a speed of about 50 km. Despite the large rear wing and front splitter on my GT3RS, this impressive lateral grip was generated without any downforce whatsoever. In an unexpected twist, Jeff Pabst jumped into a stock 2012 911 Carerra S ( Type 991 ) on Pirelli P-Zero tires which they had driven to the track, to see what it would do. Are you ready for this ? It circled the skidpad at 1.15 lateral G's, to the surprise of everyone. That is some impressive chassis !

Next we tested dry braking from 100 km and the Michelins generated remarkable grip in hauling the GT3RS to a quick stop at 1.01 G. Once again, Jeff jumped in the 991 and came within a foot of my best stopping distance, on the Pirelli P-Zero street tires reaching 1.13 G. This whet our appetite for Pirelli's DOT approved motorsport tire, with the Trofeos bolted on my car in short order. Despite the narrower front track and without ever having been heat cycled, the Trofeo's posted a lateral grip number of 1.14 G's on a skidpad that was still cold ( and bumpy ). The best news was that the Trofeos were stable to the edge of their performance envelope and gradual in their breakaway at the limit, which inspires confidence in a recreational driver such as myself. Over to the braking test where the Trofeo stopped 5 ft shorter than either the P-Zero or the Michelin Sport Cup, reaching 1.09 G. Remarkable ! But what will happen in the wet, was the question that Kye and Eshel were asking. Enter the water truck to flood the skidpad, leaving standing pools of water everywhere. First up were the Trofeo's which generated a mind blowing 1.04 lateral G's in the wet ! I made sure that others saw the readout, so that there was no doubt about what we had just witnessed. After switching tires back and having the water truck flood the skidpad again, the Michelin Sport Cups generated .91 lateral G's, a respectable number in the wet to be sure, but our frame of reference for wet performance had been shifted into a new realm by the Trofeo. With that level of stick, you might ask about the durability of the Trofeo. Jeff's experience in running a set of Trofeos all last season, was that they wear well and were in good shape after a half dozen track days, after turning lap times normally reserved for race cars on slicks.

Jeff Pabst recorded all of the data on his computer and we pored over the stats to verify our conclusions. First, the choice of new tires for me was obvious, a set of Trofeos are on order. Too bad we did not have the Hoosier R6's there to compare them to, it would have been close in the dry, but the Trofeos would have ruled in the wet. Second, it makes you wonder what a 991 could do with a track alignment, lowering springs, and a set of Trofeo's. Rest assured, it will be arriving in your rear view mirror at Mosport some time this summer ! In closing, my thanks to all who participated and made it a fun day, sorry I could not join Eshel for a few quick laps around the Driver Development Track, but who can keep up with a GT2 anyways ( unless maybe, I kept the Trofeo's on my car.....).

Last edited by TurboS; 05-18-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:16 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The Baron,

You are my favorite ever RL member.

Sadly, I could not steal your "my favorite Blue" 3.8 RS, but hopefully, your 4.0 will be up for grabs at the right time.
Sadly, Rad. You are not the first person inline. I have first dibs.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 778 Posts

Thanks for posting
Old 05-12-2012, 04:10 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senna
Sadly, Rad. You are not the first person inline. I have first dibs.
When there are many people in line for the same item, I enter auction mode, so expect an auction going on for that Riviera Blue magnificent 4.0RS if it ever goes on sale, I doubt it would but one never knows.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboS
Tire test article:
Thanks for the article. After reading the feedback from 2 other drivers on the Trofeo, I ordered a set a few days ago, and will be doing some data analysis later using the AiM SOLO DL to compare them to the same data I gathered with this equipment last month on Pirelli DH slicks.

I also have data at Sebring with RE11, R6 and A6, so there is plenty of comparison possible.

I have Daytona and Homestead data on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, RE11 and Hoosier A6.

Pirelli was out of 295 nationwide so I bought the skinny 265.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 778 Posts

4.0 vs GT2RS:
Same brakes? I know TTS has different rear rotors, but they swap out with RS.
Same brake cooling ducts?
Same wheels and tire sizes?
Same suspension?
What is the difference in downforce?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

4.0 vs GT2RS:
Same suspension?
im starting to think a GT2RS might be the way to go....... not many cars will touch you on the track....

stick on your E88's, get Orbit to throw on some adustable suspension bits and open up the exhaust..... wow fast!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

4.0 vs GT2RS:
Same suspension?

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?