seriously: 2009 Scuderia vs. 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 766 Posts

Bleh.

White Ferraris are gross.

Get the 4.0 if you really want a white car, since at least Porsches look good in white.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

strad has the best stance ever.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the problem I have with f-cars is that I could not leave it in the garage. So I would need to buy one that I keep until I am dead. What would that same car sell for if I put 10,000 miles on it in a year or 30,000 in 3 years?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Depends what use the cat will be. Weekend cruise, dd, track toy?

The scud attracts tons of attention. Literally people race up next to you, take videos, pics,etc. I can't fill up at a gas station without conversation, pics, etc. It's not a huge deal to me, but some people hate it.

The scud is also not a very practical cruiser. It's very loud, bumpy, raw. I loved it for those reasons, but a 2 hour Sunday drive will leave you sore and exhausted.

If you're going the track route- I would be weary of the costs to fix the scud.

In the end- I traded my scud for a 458 it's the best of all worlds, yet very practical if you wish to drive legal speeds on the highways.

My best advice is - for track use - gt3 rs, unless you have unlimited budget for maintaining the scud when it's out of warranty.

For street use- I would buy a regular 430 any day over a scud. Unless you want to spend double the price and get a 458.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
what do you think?
it`s a dream car but a lof of money for a track toy. get it if you can.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by wurlie
Consider this: there will never be a Mezger engined, manual 911, 4.0 is the last in line at the top of the evolutionary tree. 991 equivalent will be faster, but different.
430 Scuderia will likely be made obsolete by the 458 version built on the same principles, therefore very similar in concept.
For me the decision came down to the fact that I will not be able to buy an upgraded 4.0, whereas an upgraded Scuderia is around the corner.
Hope this helps, w
I agree. Quite frankly I think the GT3 RS 4.0 is destined to be the next 73' RS. If I had the means to purchase one back when I could have ordered paint-to-sample it would have been a no-brainer.

Porsche has been getting more and more away from what made them the company they are and becoming more and more of a luxury "throw-away" brand...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Scud.

It's the ultimate evolution of a much higher spec car whereas a 4.0 is really just a tarted up C2

Seriously, everything I've read about the Scud suggests it bulletproof and a few owners on here will no doubt chime in to back that up.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i find with the Scuderia that ground clearance of the front lip is not an issue like that of the RS and i also like the Scuderia in automatic mode when daily driving etc...

The Scuderia is also very roomy inside
Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I think the 4.0 is the hot ticket until the 991 GT3 comes out. The Scud has already taken a big hit. Most were over 300K. Buy the Scud. If you don't like it sell the Scud and buy a 4.0. You are going to buy a used 4.0 anyway. They will be cheaper there is one on ebay as of sunday for 185.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like most said the 3.8 rs VS Scud = Scud
4.0 VS Scud = 4.0 all the time..
Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 766 Posts

Scud is white. Gag. If you really want a Scud, pick a different color.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Scud of course!

And remember to add a black T-shirt, a white suit and a tanning bed.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Depends what use the cat will be. Weekend cruise, dd, track toy?

The scud attracts tons of attention. Literally people race up next to you, take videos, pics,etc. I can't fill up at a gas station without conversation, pics, etc. It's not a huge deal to me, but some people hate it.

The scud is also not a very practical cruiser. It's very loud, bumpy, raw. I loved it for those reasons, but a 2 hour Sunday drive will leave you sore and exhausted.

If you're going the track route- I would be weary of the costs to fix the scud.

In the end- I traded my scud for a 458 it's the best of all worlds, yet very practical if you wish to drive legal speeds on the highways.

My best advice is - for track use - gt3 rs, unless you have unlimited budget for maintaining the scud when it's out of warranty.

For street use- I would buy a regular 430 any day over a scud. Unless you want to spend double the price and get a 458.
+1 - spot on!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just let us know what you do, and why.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
So, I was looking at some 4.0s that are still out there. One of them is a ridiculously optioned white car with adaptive sport seats. I would've just gotten white, blk interior, black wheels, sport buckets, and PCCB. Obviously, no more allocations so, I just have to deal with dealer inventory.

anyway, that car is about the same price as some of the 2009 Scuderia's that are for sale. Look at this one, 640 miles.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...paId=437131714

what do you think?
The Scuderia was overpriced when it was released, a 2008 F430 was $175k on the sticker, while the 2008 Scuderia sticker was $100k higher. With the 360 Modena and the Challenge Stradale, the deal was different, Stradale was 20% more expensive. The Scuderia, 599 GTO and 16M have been overpriced compared to the standard versions of these cars (F430, 599GTB, F430 Spider).

However, today the market has adjusted. Scuderia are in the $160k-$210k depending on mileage, color, options, year.

For track use, I would choose the 4.0RS. The car has plenty of aftermarket support for track consumables, you can run 18" or 19" wheels, with a vast selection of tires. Brake cooling is among the best available on a street car. Brake rotors and brake pad choices are significant. The weak limited slip differential is cheap to replace with a quality unit.

For street use, manual transmission cars are more fun, but all the GT3 have some isolation that is easy to described when driven back-to-back with the Scuderia, although the GT3 are far from isolated, the Scuderia provides much more feedback to your senses. For street use, I enjoy the Scuderia a lot more. Let's be clear, that the standard F430 and the 458 Italia are really soft and isolated, when compared to a GT3 of any type, but that is their intended purpose.

I have not driven the 4.0RS yet, but have driven every GT3 since 2004. The 4.0RS is essentially a 3.8RS with the wonderful RSR crankshaft and the 50Hp increase, 3.8RS and 4.0RS are only 22 lbs apart.

The RS long and low nose makes street driving a little challenging, the Scuderia is not a problem in this area.

The Scuderia air intakes sit high and next to your ears, the engine is right behind the driver (low isolation), contrary to the 4.0RS engine being as far away from the driver as possible. The Scuderia exhaust outlets sit high, producing a sound easier to be reached by the driver. It is the combination of the flat crank V8, 8500rpm redline, intake, engine and exhaust sound that makes the experience unique.

There are 3 settings for the suspension, with the softest mode being very comfortable, and the hard mode not being that hard. I run Sebring with stiffer springs compared to stock, and hard suspension setting on my re-valved Sachs.

Weak points on the Scuderia: brake cooling, expensive brake pads, vastly expensive brake rotors, the stock headers. I'm still working on a solution for the brakes with some help from Performance Friction and the folks at BimmerWorld (James and Seth). It requires time, but eventually a new set of calipers, rotors, and affordable brake pads will resolve the weakness. There are other brake kits available from Brembo and StopTech, with minor work involved on their installation, still not what I consider a top of the line system (which the 4.0RS doesn't have anyway). Brake cooling is achieved by using either 599GTO cooling ducts, or F430 Challenge cooling ducts, bolt-on pieces. Headers are made by FabSpeed or Capristo, I run Capristo.

The Scuderia is 108 lbs lighter than the 4.0 RS, and 130 lbs lighter than the 3.8RS. The 4.0RS can be made lighter with some options, and the same applies to the Scuderia.

Lap Times around the Nurburgring tell something, 4.0RS 7:27 vs. Scuderia 7:39, throw in the GTR,ZR1,Z06, times and the Scuderia should be the slowest car on track. But, I have yet to see my Scuderia losing 4 secs to a 4.0RS or 2 secs to a 3.8RS at Sebring, so no idea how Fiat setups a car for the Nurburgring, but they must be doing something wrong.

Scuderia used prices have stayed flat for 18 months. The only ones getting cheaper are the ones getting more miles. Depreciation will be dictated by miles. Recently, the market has being getting hot on the Scuderia, people switching from 458 Italia, F430, Stradale to Scuderia. There is a nice Scuderia community.

So far, with all my hard driving, drag races, autocrosses, track days, canyon driving around Los Angeles Crest HWY, it is been the most affordable car I have owned. After 3 years, I'm still on my original brake rotors, clutch, everything except tires and brake pads.

For dedicated track use, 4.0RS is a better car (more affordable), but an older GT3 Cup could be an even better option.

For street car, I prefer the Scuderia, but you can't go wrong with the 4.0RS. You already have a 3.8RS, so the 4.0RS will feel like a 3.8RS with more power, and it you want more power on a car under $200k, there are other choices, like the ZR1, Viper ACR, SLS, even a Camaro or a Mustang.

If you can keep the 3.8RS (best Porsche bargain) and get a Scuderia, that would bring you so much more fun than a 4.0RS alone.

Quick Reply: seriously: 2009 Scuderia vs. 4.0