Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS 4.0 vs. GT3/RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:04 PM
jealva
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 2010 997.2 GT3 and a '98 993 C2S. I only track the GT3.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dntlvet
Your garage is fascinating for me. Curious where you trader your 3.8 RS for the 4.0.
I will be on the grid at Road America for the Chicago PCA. If you are there, say hello!
Thanks!! I got the GT3, RS, and 4.0 from Napleton Porsche in Westmont. Really good guys to work with.
Definitely say hello if you see me out at the track! I'll be racing the car in my avatar, so for better or worse it's easy to find .

Originally Posted by senna
Cool post, seems like the same observations as Chris Harris, on his back to back video with RS 3.8 and the 458 as well.
Freakin' Chris, stealing my notes again!!! I'm tired of warning him about that!

I am also an extremely compassion human being. Thus, please ship both cars to me in FL. I have a big garage, the weather is about 65F now, the airport is 8 minutes from my house. You're welcome to come here, pick it up, drive, and just drop it off when you get tired. I promise you, both cars will be taken care of in your absence.
Awesome!! InterCity just left with the cars....we'll be there tomorrow. Monday latest .

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
- MP4-12C, wait for more dealers, way more quality improvements, and the track oriented street GT3 version in 2 years.

- F458 Italia, wait until it loses 300 lbs and the bugs in the DCT Getrag transmission repaired, 2 more years.

- 4.0 RS worth every penny of whatever difference in price it has with any other GT3. The engine alone has been raced substantially in 3.6/3.8/4.0 forms for 15 years, the engine has a strong pedigree and the 4.0RS got the RSR GT racer crankshaft to make it more special. A sure collectible in 20-30 years. Next GT3 will have flappy paddles, and as the manual transmission disappears, manual tranny cars will become more appealing.
I think it depends on what the buyer is looking for. If it's primarily a street car, then the track-focused setup isn't as big of a deal, unless someone just wants that sort of car. If it's purpose is going to be primarily for the track, then without a doubt I'd go with an RS or a 4.0.

If the car will be tracked frequently and never used on the street, my opinion would be to get a race car. I started down the path to gutting my GT3 and turning it into a dedicated track car. Far cheaper to sell it and buy a used Cup, R, or RSR. And end up with a car that's truly made for the track and isn't a compromise, is lighter, safer, etc.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jealva
Thanks for the great posts. Cobrien, I really appreciate the detail in your post.

A couple more facts here. First, if I get the 4.0, I will plan to keep it forever and I plan to drive it as it was meant to be driven. This means that ultimately, I want to be fully connected with the car when I'm on the track. If it was strictly about fastest track time, I'd probably get a Nissan GT-R. But I want a car that is rewarding to drive on the track, even though I get out there a max of 6x a year. On the street, I'm sure they all feel great but there is no way I'm pushing the cars on the street to anywhere near their capabilities. As for the 458 or the MP4-12C, I have yet to drive them but I don't feel the desire to keep them, unlike the 4.0.
Happy to offer my opinion, though it is just my opinion. Other people may have very different thoughts .

Anyhow, I think you answered your own question. It sounds like you really want the 4.0 over the other options. So if you have a chance to get one, that seems to be the way to go. You definitely won't be unhappy with it; it's an incredible car. And you can track it all day long without worry. Drive it to the track, beat it up all day, drive it home. As an aside, though I've never tracked one, I have seen a number of GT-Rs at the track. They're very quick cars for a few laps, but fall off quickly after that. And in most cases I've never seen one last an entire day. Lots of problems with heat/cooling and braking problems.

Good luck with your choice! It's a fun problem to have.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:19 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
Thanks!! I got the GT3, RS, and 4.0 from Napleton Porsche in Westmont. Really good guys to work with.
Definitely say hello if you see me out at the track! I'll be racing the car in my avatar, so for better or worse it's easy to find .

Freakin' Chris, stealing my notes again!!! I'm tired of warning him about that!

Awesome!! InterCity just left with the cars....we'll be there tomorrow. Monday latest .

I think it depends on what the buyer is looking for. If it's primarily a street car, then the track-focused setup isn't as big of a deal, unless someone just wants that sort of car. If it's purpose is going to be primarily for the track, then without a doubt I'd go with an RS or a 4.0.

If the car will be tracked frequently and never used on the street, my opinion would be to get a race car. I started down the path to gutting my GT3 and turning it into a dedicated track car. Far cheaper to sell it and buy a used Cup, R, or RSR. And end up with a car that's truly made for the track and isn't a compromise, is lighter, safer, etc.
Another great post. No one car does everything.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

if you can ignore vanity fair factor and you do not compete in a spec class or do not need to show off it does not make any difference what car to drive on a track as long as your primary competition is your own skill level alone.

if you have extra money you do not know what to do with - 4.0 RS is a good buy. if you have other priorities to spend those money on - i would not even bother. if you want great car for a track and you have 100k budget - i would get a cup car and then worked to make enough reserves to repair it when needed. if you want car to show off - buy 458 or any other F-car or Lambo. "horses for courses".
Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Have a 3.8 and if I could, I would get a4.0.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 PM
gtdoggie
Advanced

I recently went through months of indecision making a similar decision and like you went to the forums for guidance. I had a 73 911s as my daily driver for 18 years(sold it in 1995 for 18k! Which I thought was good money at that time), bought a 993, then a 996 turbo, then got the GT3 bug and bought a 997.1(wish I got the rs that was offered at msrp), when 3.8 was announced jumped to get a 3.8rs which is that much better in handling,power and sound then the gen 1. Absolutely loved that car and thought I was done for years. Then rumors and announcement of the 4.0. I thought it was at first a joke or a bad dream I was having( I just upgraded my gen 1 to 2). Quickly got in line to drink the cool-aid and "luckily" found one at msrp. Then lamented over my decision to make the upgrade as I new it would be around 90k after taxes etc. Long story short sold my beloved 3.8 rs two months ago and decided to get the 4.0. Felt that the pain over lost opportunity would cause me more sleepless nights then the extra car payments along with the whole "life is short" rationalization. So.........I have no regrets!! Best stupid money I have spent. I don't track and it is my weekend adios to my wife for a few hours get my ya ya's out car so I may be perfect for a car that may/probably have some collectability. If I tracked and beat it up I would have thought twice.

The car is really fantastic. The engine is much more powerful feeling then the 3.8. I have said it before that it pulls in every gear like you are one gear lower. The midrange torque feels like turbo kick but in a howling normally aspirated high revving engine. The best of both worlds. Like others have said it actually may be even more evident on the street as opposed to the track. This midrange punch to me was almost worth the $$(bigger grin on my face on those get out of the house weekend jaunts). I don't find the engine to be quiter than the 3.8 but is a bit deeper with a different "more air moving through it" sound. It is an amazing engine. The suspension seems that much more dialed in but in contrast to some others I feel it is actually a bit smoother on the street than the 3.8. It feels quite a bit more "planted".

Aesthetically, I dig it more and like the whorehouse red/black interior, decals , etc. But then again have been in the camp of liking the decals on all the RS's. They are RS's and feel they deserve to look different

Good luck with your decision. The 4.0 is fantastic and you would not regret it(life is short, etc). The 458 and McLaren are also supposed to be great , just different. One car I had a hard time deciding between and the 4.0 was a Scuderia but in the end realized I liked shifting, especially because I didn't track and times were not important. If I could have another car along with the 4.0 it would probably be the 458(envious of a previous poster)

Hope this helps you! Or gives some perspective to others. I guess like me, if you can get a low optioned 4.0 at msrp go for it as they will be harder to find.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

if you already have a 2010 GT3 and can readily come up with the difference for the 4.0L than yes, it is upgrade time. It is that good and worth it.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

So.........I have no regrets!! Best stupid money I have spent.
Sums it up perfectly.
Now repeat that thought process and take it to the track. Stat.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:17 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Buying my 3.8 was a great decision, and I love my car. It is by far an amazing piece of engineering. I can see the 4.0 appeal of course, but I don't think it can't be a huge difference from the 3.8. Do I wish I had a 4.0? Absolutely, but I do not think $70k at a minimum is worth the extra you get from the 4.0.*

If it was sold for another $25k I would be in. But the MSRP of $185k was NOT a coincidence. $185k x600= $111,000,000 "million". It was an easy decision for the board to approve the last batch. *

I am going to drive the wheel off of my car with 70,000 extra smiles.*
Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Buying my 3.8 was a great decision, and I love my car. It is by far an amazing piece of engineering. I can see the 4.0 appeal of course, but I don't think it can't be a huge difference from the 3.8. Do I wish I had a 4.0? Absolutely, but I do not think $70k at a minimum is worth the extra you get from the 4.0.*

If it was sold for another $25k I would be in. But the MSRP of $185k was NOT a coincidence. $185k x600= $111,000,000 "million". It was an easy decision for the board to approve the last batch. *

I am going to drive the wheel off of my car with 70,000 extra smiles.*
+1
Old 02-12-2012, 12:52 AM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

4.0 is best 911 so far, and is a sure classic. 'nough said.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

OP:

if you had a 3.8RS i could see the reservation.

but with a non RS 3.8, the upgrade to the 4.0L (if money is not really an issue of course) is worth the effort.

It will be 2 years until we see a 991RS....
Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by jealva
Has anyone moved from a GT3 or GT3 RS to a GT3 RS 4.0? I'd like to get an opinion on whether it's worth trading my current GT3 for the GT3 RS 4.0. I get to the track 4-5 times per year but also use my car as a street vehicle, although not as a daily driver.

Is the 4.0 worth the price differential of the additional $50-75K? Is it driveable on the street or is it predominantly for the track?

My other option is a 458 Italia or an MP4-12C. Would appreciate any comparison or thoughts on those as well

Thanks.
it's a fine street car and you will make friends with CHP. they all know me by name. i also know the guard at my local jail. it's good on street, just too fast and spills mocha.

so in short. nice to have. not required. if you must have one. i know of a cherry one of a kind orange RS4.0 at 500 miles for sale here in CA. $200k or so.

458 italia is not in same price mkt as RS4.0
mp12c is sexy, but no dealer net work.
if you are a porschphile, none of the above will do it. but if you dont worship porsche, then either can be fun.
The following users liked this post:
meiwah98 (11-27-2023)
Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 AM
996CAB
Instructor

IF I can throw my comments down...I moved away from P-cars years ago...in the 996 days when I felt Porsche was going down the Mercs route...which was to build them cheap and sell them high...haha;

Looks like they have turned that around and the 4.0 is the only P-car in years that switched me on to P-cars again...specs reads well...

Just got to offload the V12 Tractor garage queen and who knows what will happen...

Great debate and some interesting points to note...

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 4.0 vs. GT3/RS