997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sharkwerks v. GMG by-pass exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011 | 10:39 PM
INFMS
Intermediate

The best exhaust systems on the market are from Akrapovic, I've been using them for the last 3 years, they are expensive but well worth it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2011 | 01:01 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Sharkwerks, end of conversation! Just like Mooty says. Plus I enjoy dealing with lunitics, It makes me feel sane and humble at the same time!
Old 09-10-2011 | 01:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by INFMS
The best exhaust systems on the market are from Akrapovic, I've been using them for the last 3 years, they are expensive but well worth it!!!!!!!!!!
yes, i had it for a brief period of time, beautiful ti stuff and coming from someone who owned every type of exotic ti frame bikes, that's a pretty big compliment. 3 days, sold them b/c i needed money to buy food.
they are the best exhaust SYSTEM. euro pipes aren't far behind and stef is a great resource for exhaust Q's.
here, however, we are talking about bypass pipes. they aren't exhaust, they are just PIPES. no one in there right mind install these pipes to gain hp or tq. we just want more noise. now days, i just punch holes in my muffler. sound pretty good too.
Old 09-10-2011 | 01:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nash
Another vote for Sharkwerks here - fantastic sound and I re-used my stock RS titanium tips (I'd probably go with black-coated tips on a non-RS car). A local friend of mine had the GMG and found it too loud at the track - my understanding is that bypass has integrated tips with a slightly megaphone design, making it louder. He went back to stock. I'm also pretty sensitive about overly loud exhausts and love my Sharkwerks. Everybody who rides in it at the track or hears me flying down the front straight compliments it

I also love that the exhaust mods for these cars are under $2k, rather than paying $4-5k for a full Europipe on a Turbo.
europipe is bargain compared to akropovic at 10k+
Old 09-10-2011 | 02:19 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QueenCity911
Had a Fabspeed on last one, SW on this one and it HOWLS....Just like it is supposed to.
TOTALLY AGREED! Love it on the 7.2 GT3! The bigger tips are great too!
Old 09-10-2011 | 04:28 AM
pbu
Intermediate

I just picked up a gmg. Beautiful fit and finish, like that you don't see screws to bolt on tips, great noises, but a touch loud. I love the noise and tone, but had trouble at my local track as I was blowing over 95db. Got meatballed twice and short shifted the balance of the day. The two CUP cars there weren't blowing over for reference.

Lots of good service feedback for both vendors. I personally like gmgs race heritage and design philosophy.

Don't think you can go wrong...
Old 09-10-2011 | 08:40 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

SW - The best sounding exhaust I have ever heard on a GT3. The only problem for the SW guys is the fact that the video's just don't do the sound justice, you have to really hear it first hand to enjoy the pure sounds that it makes.

Also add the Large Ceramic coated tips for a hotter look!
Old 09-10-2011 | 08:49 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

That's exactly my plan

Next week I will install the bypass + large black ceramic tips and a front radiator screen.

Originally Posted by Condor Man
SW - The best sounding exhaust I have ever heard on a GT3. The only problem for the SW guys is the fact that the video's just don't do the sound justice, you have to really hear it first hand to enjoy the pure sounds that it makes.

Old 09-10-2011 | 10:17 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Condor Man

True, the video on their site I think skews your impression - the SW bypass with Sport mode OFF sounded best lol

But, when its on the car... redline in 3rd and 4th gear are just unbelievable, shame I can only hear them on track... (115mph in 3rd is not conducive to retaining my DL)
Old 09-10-2011 | 01:31 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

I've had the SW and you can't go wrong with it. I then switched to the Europipe sport exhaust which gives you two smaller side mufflers with the rear bypass. It is 30 lbs lighter than stock and a bit louder than the SW. Either system is great.
Old 09-10-2011 | 04:45 PM
INFMS
Intermediate

I just find that a by pass pipe is a waste of money, all it does is make it louder, not a particular nice sound with no power increase and on the 997 rs it replaces the lightest muffler, so there is no gain.
Old 09-10-2011 | 06:28 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by NelsonF
I have the same EP track pipe on my .2RS. Basically a catback straight pipe eliminating mufflers, but no cel issues. Yes, a bit loud but can't beat the weight savings coupled with slight power gains beyond 3k rpm and up. Makes driving it an event
Yes, from what I have heard Europipe makes an excellent product. Great weight savings, workmanship and price. Certainly can't go wrong with SW or EP.
Old 09-10-2011 | 09:59 PM
Gerald Cohen
Rennlist Member

I have the GMG exhaust on my car and like the sound. But, I have never compared it side-by-side with any others. This is my first post, I got my 07 GT3 about 2 weeks ago.
I drive an '89 944 turbo on the track. It is race prepped for NASA class GT3. I don't race,...yet...
I will be at the Glen with NASA at the end of this month. My brother will race and I will DE.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2011 | 11:36 AM
mepps
Racer

i had the sw track system on my 07 gt3....took it to the dealer for service, i dont think there was one person who didnt come ask me what kind of exhaust it was cause they have never heard a porsche that sounds that good! did i mention its for sale, traded in the gt3 on a gt2.
Old 09-14-2011 | 12:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I just find that a by pass pipe is a waste of money, all it does is make it louder, not a particular nice sound with no power increase and on the 997 rs it replaces the lightest muffler, so there is no gain.
The RS has a Ti exhaust that burns out after 3K miles on track, I doubt they will keep handing them to me under warranty so I needed aftermarket anyway and you do need a little extra noise to hear yoruself shift in between a bunch of loud cars. Even with better then OEM sounding Sharky I can be on blue tooth up to 4000RPM..

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks v. GMG by-pass exhaust