Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sharkwerks v. GMG by-pass exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Here's another Sharkwerks recommend!!

Alex is great to work with, his products... including by-pass pipe and tips.. are top notch!!

....plus his after sales service is over the top!!
After 6 months in service, I had a clamp snap, and no questions asked... Alex had a couple n/c replacements sent to me in the blink of an eye.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 AM
jmachul
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1......These days, it is hard to find company's that stand behind their products. SW is one the best I have ever delt with.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

I have the GMG and I love the large curved megaphone tips (yes, tips). Mine are raw stainless but you can get full Ti if your pockets are deep enough. The sound un-bypassed is acceptable but bypassed it sounds fabulous. When I rev it in my garage it gives me goose bumps.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iyTlsjGThA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Old 09-09-2011, 11:02 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Sharkwerks. Customizable tips. Great sound. Great guys.

Plus, I don't need attitude from any vendor. What I've read in the other thread about GMG (now closed) infuriates me.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought the GMG after weighing the pluses and minuses of all of the bypass pipe available. I like the integral tips on the GMG as they mean 3 fewer nuts that I have to check for tightness periodically. On the downside, the intergral tips on the GMG make it more difficult to center and "level" the tips in the rear facia compared to the SW pipe.

Dealing with GMG when I bought the pipe and an RSR roll bar was first rate. Fit and finish on the pipe is excellent.

The sound of the GMG on the street is fantastic. On the track it is a little too loud for my tastes. I have run some track sessions with the exhaust solenoid on my car capped off with a vaccum plug to keep the side mufflers engaged to quiet down the exhaust. I find that the uncapped exhaust is so loud that I perceive that I am going faster than I actually am, causing me to back off sooner than I should (yes I will try ear plugs at my next track session).
Old 09-09-2011, 01:47 PM
tono
Advanced

Have the RSS X-Pipe. Great sound and awesome integrated tips. The entire unit is black ceramic coated. No experience with SW or GMG on their exhaust. Guys at RSS where great to deal with. Excellent customer service!!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:57 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjsmaryland
I find that the uncapped exhaust is so loud that I perceive that I am going faster than I actually am, causing me to back off sooner than I should (yes I will try ear plugs at my next track session).
really?
your perception of speed is dictated by several sensory inputs, but I have never heard of audible cues dictating braking points.

Well... I do use my sense of smell to back off occasionally... code brown
Old 09-09-2011, 02:33 PM
MGR-GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sharkwerks. Have it. Love it!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Max Power
Racer

You may be able to hear examples of both - try a YouTube search...
Old 09-09-2011, 03:31 PM
demiruyar
Rennlist Member

I would go with a GMG unit...
Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,813 Likes on 2,382 Posts

had three.
sharkwerks.
done.
no more questions.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
had three.
sharkwerks.
done.
no more questions.
What he said
Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an extra FVD one that I used for 3000 miles.....made by M&M in Germany (they make the cup car exhausts). The only reason I took it off is that a friend gave me an RSS one for free when he sold his car. The only noticable difference is the integrated larger tips and black powder-coat on the RSS.. Both are great. I will sell the FVD one for $900 shipped. PM me if interested. Tips not included...you need to use your own. Here is a pic from FVD's site:

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...hout_Tips.html
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I've heard them all at one point or another and they all pretty much sound the same. Go with the best price. I'm not buying that one sounds any different from the other when you still have the rest of the factory plumbing in place since you're just eliminating the center muffler.

I personally have the RSS. I like the look of the large integrated black tips vs the bolt ons. Looks cleaner.

Sharky is a lunatic and I enjoy his posts, so I wouldn't hesitate to give him the business. He obviously makes a great product and stands behind it.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another vote for Sharkwerks here - fantastic sound and I re-used my stock RS titanium tips (I'd probably go with black-coated tips on a non-RS car). A local friend of mine had the GMG and found it too loud at the track - my understanding is that bypass has integrated tips with a slightly megaphone design, making it louder. He went back to stock. I'm also pretty sensitive about overly loud exhausts and love my Sharkwerks. Everybody who rides in it at the track or hears me flying down the front straight compliments it

I also love that the exhaust mods for these cars are under $2k, rather than paying $4-5k for a full Europipe on a Turbo.

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks v. GMG by-pass exhaust