Anyone using exe-tc shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
it's like a tennis racket.
you can tighten the strings to get more power/bounce.
as you mature as a player, you learn to loosen the strings to get more 'control'.
the ball 'sit's' on the strings a bit longer to giving you more time to craft the shot.
Uhmm, you have it backwards.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
it's like a tennis racket.
you can tighten the strings to get more power/bounce.
as you mature as a player, you learn to loosen the strings to get more 'control'.
the ball 'sit's' on the strings a bit longer to giving you more time to craft the shot.
You either have that backwards unintentionally or 'DownUnder' the world really is different. More control comes from tighter strings that can be used to impart more spin but at the loss of power. In the modern game, a player to get as much power as possible would prefer a racket strung looser but could not go below a level dictated by the strength and racket speed - generally an elite man would use a less powerful racket with tighter strings than a similarly elite but physically slightly less powerful women. There are of course many, many players that do things uniquely given their style, etc, etc, etc. Most average club players wouldn't be able to generate the power they wanted if they attempted to use a professional man's racket - they would find the average female pro's more to their liking. It's similar to golf, even your very low club male handicapper would have tremendous difficulty hitting the Extra/ Extra stiff shafts used my most top 100 male golfers (pro driver club head speed 115-130mph, club scratch golfer 90-105 - it is not even close)

Back to cars
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
2:20.8 on slicks, a 4.00:1 R&P, lightening, wider wheels, or 2:25 on standard setup.

I can run 2:20 with slicks and shorter F430 Challenge R&P as well, despite of my car being 1 sec slower at the Ring than a 2007 GT3.
Dont forget cheater headers
Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
GT3 GIRL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Detour
Is this price what I would be looking at for a "track only" set up as opposed to rallying? Not sure what differences might exist with this setup.

Thanks, and great pics!
The price for a Rally or Circuit suspension system is the same. The difference is in the spring rates and the internal valving. Due to Porsche's suspension geometry, there is no real difference in suspension travel between the rally and the circuit setup. The rally system does allow for additional droop due to the increased ride height.

Originally Posted by Izzone
Gavin has explained the Extec shock and how it works, I'll probbaly get it wrong but here is what I remember

They put softer springs in the car and do the stiffening in the damper. With the softer springs the tire spends more time with grip.

that is all I can repeat in a correct fashion.......maybe GT3 Girl can elaborate

Whatever teh Extec does it is amazing, Gavin and Chris were cutting every curb at Sebring that day and the car stayed on line with grip
You are learning quite well, I am impressed. I have done some Gavin brain picking and here is what I can share.

Exe-tc has not reinvented the wheel or come up with the holy grail of suspension. What they have done is developed a progressive spring that is very soft at the beginning of the stroke and progressively gets stiffer as the spring compresses. They then control how that spring reacts both on compression and rebound with very powerful dampers. Their ultimate goal, as Chris Harris states, is to create driver confidence. When you have confidence in how the car is going to react, you can push hard. Softer springs generally give you more mechanical grip along with improved tire wear. On a track like Sebring with lots of bumps and rough curbs, you can attack them with a great deal more aggression and confidence as the car remains stable and is not getting pitched around which stiff springs have a tendency to do.

Aussie Jimmy's tennis analogy is right on.

If you watch Trackcar's video of him chasing Gavin around Sebring, You will notice for example coming through 17 how Gavin's car is able to put the power to the ground much earlier over the bumps and make some significant gain before the benefits of the 3.8 L engine start to pull the gen 1 car back in towards the end of the front straight.

The debate about laptimes is always an interesting one. You guys sound like a bunch of girls bickering It's hysterical!

You can certainly go a couple of seconds faster on a nice cool winter day when the car is making lots of horsepower and there is plenty of grip. When the track is hot and slippery, mechanical grip becomes even more important. Good suspension really helps.

Below is a video of Gavin in a gen 1 car with Exe-tc Suspension, Sequential Shifter, and Hoosiers doing a 2:20 flat on a typically hot Florida June day. Watch how the car deals with the bumps and curbs. ENJOY!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very imformative thread.....

As far is Chris Harris.....I've been reading his articles & watching his video reviews for years, even before I knew his name. The guy is brilliant & his reviews helped me make my decision in purchasing my RS.
Thanks Chris....you're the man! Keep the Porsche info coming.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:24 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 GIRL

Hi Guys,

You are correct, Chris Harris was running Exe-tc Suspension on his Gray gen 1 GT3. He never had Intrax Suspension on that car. They also used Exe-tc Suspension on the VLN car that he drives. A little history for those of you that know nothing about this company. It is a UK based company, www.exe-tc.co.uk , they have provided the suspension for Sebastien Loeb's Citreon that has won the World Rally Championship for the last 8 years. They have been developing a suspension system for Porsche's for the last 3 years for both racing and rallying. A GT3 Cup Car equipped with Exe-tc Suspension won the round of the Spanish Rallying Championship last weekend competing against full on 4 wheel drive Rally Cars. The suspension has allowed the Porsche's to become much more competative with the 4 wheel drive cars. We have been using the suspension on our gen 1 GT3 RS for the last 3 years both in Rallying and on the track with extremely good results. Exe-tc has taken a different approach suspension wise using very soft progressive springs and very powerful dampeners. This makes the car much easier to drive quickly and instills more driver confidence. The photo above is of the winning Cup Car competing in the Rally last weekend, you seldom see Porsches doing this, especially in the US!
GT3 Girl: That has to be one of the greatest Porsche pics I've ever seen!
Thanks a million for posting it & all the suspension info..
I have no problem if you pass me on the track......
Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
GT3 GIRL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nan P
GT3 Girl: That has to be one of the greatest Porsche pics I've ever seen!
Thanks a million for posting it & all the suspension info..
I have no problem if you pass me on the track......
Glad to share it, it is a very cool pic indeed.

Seeing that you live in the snowy North, why don't you come to Sunny Sebring over the winter and play. I MIGHT even let you pass ME!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,881 Likes on 970 Posts

You guys sound like a bunch of girls bickering It's hysterical!
Only 28 posts and you cut straight to the heart of Rennlist. Love it.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

I have Moton CS suspension.

I wonder how it compares vs EXE-TC's?

Is it worth the trouble changing?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 AM
micahbones
Racer

Exe-tc has not reinvented the wheel or come up with the holy grail of suspension. What they have done is developed a progressive spring that is very soft at the beginning of the stroke and progressively gets stiffer as the spring compresses. They then control how that spring reacts both on compression and rebound with very powerful dampers. Their ultimate goal, as Chris Harris states, is to create driver confidence. When you have confidence in how the car is going to react, you can push hard. Softer springs generally give you more mechanical grip along with improved tire wear. On a track like Sebring with lots of bumps and rough curbs, you can attack them with a great deal more aggression and confidence as the car remains stable and is not getting pitched around which stiff springs have a tendency to do.
As Chris also mentioned earlier, some will like this feel and others will not, believing that the car is too soft. The basic theory of EXE-TC is spot on in that the very purpose of suspension is to keep the tires in contact with the surface over which you are traveling. Of course it also has to deal with other loads like brake dive, acceleration squat, yaw. Sounds like these loads might be dealt with by the aggressive compression and rebound damping. EXE-TCs philosophy seems to be more in line with Colin Chapman's, and very much makes sense to me. I have never really have understood ultra aggressive linear spring rates, unless you are racing/driving on F1-smooth tarmac.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

I just received and read my Excellence magazine.

Very cool write up on Gavin Riches, Exe-tc suspension setup, GT3RS and Sbring by Chris Harris!
Decribing Sebring he mentions words like small mountain range and the Andes to describe the bumps. Without using the words he found ICE mode as well saying ""receive a dose of infamous brake lockout at the end of the back straight". In the stock RS he drove.

"Mildly infatuated with Sebring" "Makes the Ring look like a Criscket pitch"

Great read, even better when you were there and know Sebring :-)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I sure miss Sebring......and I was just there yesterday
Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

I can't remember when I was there last. Probably when Chris Harris was there testing with Gavin Riches.
Signing up with Chin tonight or tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Is this product commercially available ??

jack
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Is this product commercially available ??

jack
Yep call Gavin at Auto Quest in Ft. Myers...he's the guy!

Quick Reply: Anyone using exe-tc shocks