Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone using exe-tc shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 PM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This ride comfort linked to immpecable handling is exactly why I want this in my GT3. My car is used on the UK and Europe's lumpy cambered back roads and this sounds perfect, cross country weapon
Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Best conventional aftermarket dampers I ever tried were British...Spax 10 ways on my old Xerati in college days —*so I am always interested in Brit shocks.

Of course, I've tried some brilliant revalved Bilsteins and then been ruined by well set up/genius-level Motons, JRZs, etc since then —*but the Brits earned my attention when it comes to dampers a long time ago. They have those kind of roads that dictate good damping, and expose poor damping.

Chris Harris' test from Sebring appears in the next issue, November 2011 due out in mid-September (I know...).

pete
Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Best conventional aftermarket dampers I ever tried were British...Spax 10 ways on my old Xerati in college days —*so I am always interested in Brit shocks.

Of course, I've tried some brilliant revalved Bilsteins and then been ruined by well set up/genius-level Motons, JRZs, etc since then —*but the Brits earned my attention when it comes to dampers a long time ago. They have those kind of roads that dictate good damping, and expose poor damping.

Chris Harris' test from Sebring appears in the next issue, November 2011 due out in mid-September (I know...).

pete
I was there for his test, chris drove my car and jenk 12m

When I can afford it my car goes to AutoQuest for extec and a cartronic shifter
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Detour
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT3 GIRL
Hi Guys,

Exe-tc 3 way adjustable suspension with Rally valving which is what you would need for Targa Newfoundland is $10,000 for the complete set including the progressive springs. If you would like more detailed information please pm me. Here's one more photo for you guys! Enjoy.
Is this price what I would be looking at for a "track only" set up as opposed to rallying? Not sure what differences might exist with this setup.

Thanks, and great pics!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Detour
Is this price what I would be looking at for a "track only" set up as opposed to rallying? Not sure what differences might exist with this setup.

Thanks, and great pics!
Gavin has his car set up track for Sebring

Give him a call he is a whiz at this set up
Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 AM
Chris Harris
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As is always the case, we never actually thought about putting Exe-tc on a 997, it just sort-of-happened. Some of you might remember a green '71 ST Replica I had a few years back - that had some Exe-tc suspension because Tuthills, who developed the car, use the company for its Safari Rally suspension. And I couldn't really think of a better starting point than that.

At the same time we were wrestling with a standard 2006 GT3 Cup car at the VLN championship at the 'Ring. It was airborne about 20 times on the track, and we needed to sort it: choice was either the popular KW off-the-shelf stuff, or having a go at developing something from scratch with Graham Gleeson from Exe-tc. Have to say that of all the things I've been lucky enough to do in this job: messing about with Graham and learning about car set-up has been the most absorbing and illuminating experience so far. Turns out, I didn't know squat before I met him.

What we have now is a full-race set-up for a Cup car. 3-way adjustable running complete bearing kit and used with factory Michelin Slick and Wet tyre. It's given us Top 10 finishes in VLN races (despite being, ahem, a little down on power next to the german cars) and at this years N24 the Exe-tc car was the highest placed 3.6 Cup car, only one 3.8 beat us.

The philosophy is simple: make the car absorb bumps, extract more mechanical grip from the tyres and, most importantly, give the driver confidence. Graham is obsessed with giving drivers confidence.

How does that manifest itself on a street/track-day machine? Much more supple ride, less tendency to follow cambers, more fluid steering.

It's a big philosophical change over a standard GT car, because at first you can think the car is too soft and lazy, but the lap-times speak for themselves. Anyone who has seen Gavin's car being launched over the kerbs at Sebring will know what I mean.

Graham is a friend, I have been involved in the development process on road and track. I can't really be more transparent than that.

Handling is still a subjective topic. Some people like a car busy, nervous, crashing over bumps and kart-like. I don't, especially on the road. I like suppleness and being isolated from stuff that might deflect a car that's too stiff. I also like telling people that the damper internals on my Porsche are the same as the ones that Sebastian Loeb used to win several World Rally Championships.

But I'm a bit sad like that.

Best to all - hope to come to the US again soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris Harris:
Benedict295 (02-20-2022), LoganMarriott (04-02-2022)
Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

The Man himself. Chris, welcome and by the way, LOVE your work. Sorry to sound like a gushing schoolgirl, but 'I'm a bit sad like that'.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 86 Posts

Chris, welcome indeed. Thanks for the backgrounder on the kit.

Keep up the good work -- behind wheel and keyboard. You are valued by many here.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris Harris
As is always the case, we never actually thought about putting Exe-tc on a 997, it just sort-of-happened. Some of you might remember a green '71 ST Replica I had a few years back - that had some Exe-tc suspension because Tuthills, who developed the car, use the company for its Safari Rally suspension. And I couldn't really think of a better starting point than that.

At the same time we were wrestling with a standard 2006 GT3 Cup car at the VLN championship at the 'Ring. It was airborne about 20 times on the track, and we needed to sort it: choice was either the popular KW off-the-shelf stuff, or having a go at developing something from scratch with Graham Gleeson from Exe-tc. Have to say that of all the things I've been lucky enough to do in this job: messing about with Graham and learning about car set-up has been the most absorbing and illuminating experience so far. Turns out, I didn't know squat before I met him.

What we have now is a full-race set-up for a Cup car. 3-way adjustable running complete bearing kit and used with factory Michelin Slick and Wet tyre. It's given us Top 10 finishes in VLN races (despite being, ahem, a little down on power next to the german cars) and at this years N24 the Exe-tc car was the highest placed 3.6 Cup car, only one 3.8 beat us.

The philosophy is simple: make the car absorb bumps, extract more mechanical grip from the tyres and, most importantly, give the driver confidence. Graham is obsessed with giving drivers confidence.

How does that manifest itself on a street/track-day machine? Much more supple ride, less tendency to follow cambers, more fluid steering.

It's a big philosophical change over a standard GT car, because at first you can think the car is too soft and lazy, but the lap-times speak for themselves. Anyone who has seen Gavin's car being launched over the kerbs at Sebring will know what I mean.

Graham is a friend, I have been involved in the development process on road and track. I can't really be more transparent than that.

Handling is still a subjective topic. Some people like a car busy, nervous, crashing over bumps and kart-like. I don't, especially on the road. I like suppleness and being isolated from stuff that might deflect a car that's too stiff. I also like telling people that the damper internals on my Porsche are the same as the ones that Sebastian Loeb used to win several World Rally Championships.

But I'm a bit sad like that.

Best to all - hope to come to the US again soon.
Thanks Chris for this.

Will you put them on your 4.0?

Best
Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

For those of you looking for Exe-tec, Gavin's car was the one Chris Haris was doing the test data with at Sebring.

Trakcar, Jenk12m, ATLFaher were there that day too
Attached Images    
Old 09-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Chris, please don't be a stranger here.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

@harrismonkey you're one of the best in the business and you keep getting better.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris Harris -- the reason I still read car magazines
welcome
Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Chris, Your review of the 458/GT3 RS comparison really had an effect on my purchase. Your the best in the biz....
Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

We visited Sebring to stalk Chris that day at Sebring, but we were invited ;-)

Chris, thanks for posting here:thumup:

Gavin car handles very well.

The new RS feels already softer then the .1, a bit unsetteling when I got the car, but it sticks much better and lets you play with the weight transfers better.
The spring rates are higher, so does that mean the shock are softer? .1 I always drove in soft setting at Sebring, harder setting every where else, now with .2 always harder setting at Sebring and everywhere else.
I wonder what direction Porsche went with springs and shocks compared to the 3.8RS and compared to the GT2RS.

As always there are many variables like better driver and sometimes better tires, but I'm sure Gavin's car handles better then mine at Sebring.

I've learned a lot from Gavin's pointers and chasing him around Sebring (And almost ran into his rear end, see video FF to 9:35 for pucker monet, THE reason I hate Pagid R29after 4 track days) and I still can't keep up with Gavin that is for sure, I only catch him in traffic. In this video his tires are shot and mine are pretty good.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Anyone using exe-tc shocks