Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Center-Lock recall...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
OK, this is interesting. How many of you have bought a second set of C/L's. I did. Called the dealer and asked if they could be replaced since they were purchased through the dealer network. Part manager's first response was that he didn't think so because the replacement had to be tied to a VIN on a car for warranty replacement.

After I asked him if Porsche was prepared to accept the liability for use of and OEM part sold by a dealer he quickly saw my point and stated that he would have to check, since this is all new.

My thought is that if you buy a Porsche OEM part of any kind that is subject to a recall that you should get a replacement.
I got the same message from my service manager at Sonnen today; only one set to be replaced by Porsche as part of the recall.

Which is BS, if you buy a Porsche part from a Porsche dealer and those parts are recalled, I believe Porsche should replace them also. As you point out it
would be a liability issue.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Wonder what they would say if you put the 2nd set of CL's on the car and drove it over to the dealer for the recall? LOL

Who was it on here that spoke with A.P. MR GT3 from Porsche and he said the CL's are the same except the recall one does not have the 500mn markings? If this is really true then there realy is nothing wrong with the older CL's just as long as you know what the proper torque spec is.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Wonder what they would say if you put the 2nd set of CL's on the car and drove it over to the dealer for the recall? LOL

Who was it on here that spoke with A.P. MR GT3 from Porsche and he said the CL's are the same except the recall one does not have the 500mn markings? If this is really true then there realy is nothing wrong with the older CL's just as long as you know what the proper torque spec is.
Good point I could take it to another dealer ... although it would probably show on the VIN ...

If that is *really* the case then I dont really need new CLs then ... as long as there is no damage to the car ... but we would need to be certain that there is in fact no difference.

Honestly if Porsche legal want the erroneous torque setting removed then they should replace all the inventory regardless of how it was obtained!

btw when is the new GTS due?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The centerlock nuts have been on the car at 500 Nm, so they're potentially compromised. From what Savy reports, AP suggested it was just the inscription of the 500.

I have one spare, which I expect them to replace. The liability surely encompasses every part Porsche sells, on or off a car. I don't see how this could escape the attention of the dealership staff or leave any question as to the scope of work for the recall.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Good point I could take it to another dealer ... although it would probably show on the VIN ...

If that is *really* the case then I dont really need new CLs then ... as long as there is no damage to the car ... but we would need to be certain that there is in fact no difference.

Honestly if Porsche legal want the erroneous torque setting removed then they should replace all the inventory regardless of how it was obtained!

btw when is the new GTS due?
I bet there has to be some legal concequences for Porsche on the extra sets of CL's they sold if someone used them to the torque specs printed on the old CL. One would think it would be cheap for Porsche to replace these and a very nice good will gesture to insure the safety of the consumer.

My dealer just called and gave me the VIN for the GTS and it complete production today. He said he will let me know when it is on the boat and he thinks it will be here in 3-4 weeks for delivery. I'm not really sure how long it take to put it on the boat and get it to the dealer.

Then when it arrives the GT3 LCA's and Rear Toe Links go on with a good alingment and a good clear bra then it is off to have the roll bar and harness installed.

I still have not decided on wheels yet. I keep looking at the cast OZ's and the forged OZ's and the 3pc Forgelines that are priced right between both the OZ's. Not really sure what to get but I need to make up my mind soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The centerlock nuts have been on the car at 500 Nm, so they're potentially compromised. From what Savy reports, AP suggested it was just the inscription of the 500.

I have one spare, which I expect them to replace. The liability surely encompasses every part Porsche sells, on or off a car. I don't see how this could escape the attention of the dealership staff or leave any question as to the scope of work for the recall.
do you know anyone at PCNA in Atlanta? Maybe they could help out?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys, Porsche are replacing all bolts including spares! The reason they've gone to the trouble in the first place is that they have 500nM insribed on them and there is a danger of an independant shop or owner torquing to the wrong spec.

Here in Aus, they asked for any additional bolts to be presented with the car at the recall service. It specifically stated it on the letters we received. I had to present receipts to prove they were authentic (a little awkward as they came from Sunset, US) but they were fine with it. My car goes back to get replacement rear hub inserts next week and all bolt sets will be replaced at that point.

Don't go to spares for replacements, present them with your car and get the regional Service guys involved if there is resistance. If anybody wants a PDF of the Aus recall letter to take to their service manager as leverage, please PM me your email address....
Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my recall notice today for my 11 GT3. It says that as a remedy,

'Porsche will replace your center locking rims and hubs with an improved design which now requires a center bolt with a greased surface and an increased tightening torque'.

They also say that 'if we do not wish to drive your car during this period (between receiving this recall and dealer completing repair), Porsche will compensate you for alternate transportation'.

I wonder how many newly designed wheels are sitting at our dealerships right now? What do you think an acceptable alternate would be ? Bus passes? A dealer loaner? Exotic rental or a compact from Avis?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Recall work has been performed on my car, yet, I still have not received official notification that my car has been recalled. I have to say that PCNA has really dropped the ball on this one. Also, unless your wheels/hubs have been damaged, there is NO way you're getting a new set. That was made very clear to me before they took the car in.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I bet there has to be some legal concequences for Porsche on the extra sets of CL's they sold if someone used them to the torque specs printed on the old CL. One would think it would be cheap for Porsche to replace these and a very nice good will gesture to insure the safety of the consumer.

My dealer just called and gave me the VIN for the GTS and it complete production today. He said he will let me know when it is on the boat and he thinks it will be here in 3-4 weeks for delivery. I'm not really sure how long it take to put it on the boat and get it to the dealer.

Then when it arrives the GT3 LCA's and Rear Toe Links go on with a good alingment and a good clear bra then it is off to have the roll bar and harness installed.

I still have not decided on wheels yet. I keep looking at the cast OZ's and the forged OZ's and the 3pc Forgelines that are priced right between both the OZ's. Not really sure what to get but I need to make up my mind soon.
There's a guy selling a set of new, unused Forgelines here (noted in a post in the last week or so.)

Now that my car is back from the recall with new nuts, everything is looking good with the OZ Superforgiata wheels. I'll follow-up after this weekend (PCA TT) to describe my experience with the wheels so far (about five days on them) but basically 100% satisfied -- light wheels, look good (see "upgrades" thread.)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:44 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pablobravo
Just had the center lock " Service Campaign " done. I have 1200 VERY easy miles ( yeah I know, don't all yell at once ) and they only replaced the center lock nuts. Part # 000-043-301-43. They look just like the old ones without the "500 NM". They also did the one year service.....11 quarts of Mobile 0-40 ? Thought it holds 9.5 with filter ?? Oh well, the level is fine and they kept it inside the shop and did not wash it.
This is a big dealer ( Rusnak Pasadena ) and even my service guy said sometimes stuff " happens " when being jockey'd around the storage lot/carwash etc.....
It shouldn't take 11 quarts! I changed mine twice. I stood there while we drained the hot oil thoroughly and during subsequent refill. It was not 11 quarts. We didn't even crack the 11th quart container. 9.5 seems about right.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Originally Posted by Pablobravo
Just had the center lock " Service Campaign " done. I have 1200 VERY easy miles ( yeah I know, don't all yell at once ) and they only replaced the center lock nuts. Part # 000-043-301-43. They look just like the old ones without the "500 NM". They also did the one year service.....11 quarts of Mobile 0-40 ? Thought it holds 9.5 with filter ?? Oh well, the level is fine and they kept it inside the shop and did not wash it.
This is a big dealer ( Rusnak Pasadena ) and even my service guy said sometimes stuff " happens " when being jockey'd around the storage lot/carwash etc.....
It shouldn't take 11 quarts! I changed mine twice. I stood there while we drained the hot oil thoroughly and during subsequent refill. It was not 11 quarts. We didn't even crack the 11th quart container. 9.5 seems about right.
Change ur own oil, dealers know less than a diy on rennlist
Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Recall work was done early this week (10 GT3).

Received Porsche notice today.

I brought the car in with OEM CL's in a box with my extra set of Red CL's that I bought from Suncoast. These were not replaced, just the ones that came with my car.

I don't think I have an issue with this, as my second set of CL's (these are Red---while the ones that came with my Speed Yellow car were like a grey)....these were always tightened by me to 444 or about 450 lbs.

And I am not ever letting anyone other than my dealer or myself....torque those wheels.

Lehman
Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I can see a lawsuit happening if PCNA is taking this approach... Someone will sell their car with a set of the old bolts on it... The next guy will torque to the value printed on the face (500Nm) and cause his car a crap load of damage or lose a wheel and presto- porsche have made front page news! Impressive
Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There's a guy selling a set of new, unused Forgelines here (noted in a post in the last week or so.)
I couldn't find the Forgelines for sale on this forum but I found some on the for sale forum but they are for a GT3...GTS is widebody so the GT3 rears are wrong offset...I need Turbo/GT3RS rear offset.

Quick Reply: The Center-Lock recall...