Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Center-Lock recall...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

For the curious or those who's dealer's heads are in the sand, go over to carfax.com and enter your VIN and the free basic report should tell you what you need to know.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Wonder if I can keep my old one's as spares.......doubt there is anything worng with them....besides they are turning purple
Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

Called closest dealer, Woodhouse in Omaha, and yep mine's in the recall- they ordered new centerlock nuts in my colour (regular dark gray) and said it only would take a few days to get them. Had a Turbo in today for the same thing. They seemed to know all about it. Gonna check the alignment while it's there. Of course, that is assuming I can get across the Missouri river from Iowa without a boat!!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Service scheduled for next Monday. Will update after the appointment.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Mine will be done tomorrow
Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There already is a thread about this in this subforum, but i'll repeat it here

My car had the recall done a couple of weeks ago and I got (free of charge):

4 new centerlock nuts
1 new rear wheelhub
1 new rear wheel
2 new rear brakedisks

Mind you my car was produced in august 09, I bought it in April 10, drove 35.000km with it (approx 20K miles ) and removed the wheels quite regularly.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

My RS is at the dealer now for this. 2k miles on the odo. Sounds like no wheel damage and they are just replacing the centerlock nuts.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 AM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
My dealer called me today

Just the bolt changes

He ordered me four new black ones (mine are purple )

He asked what torque spec I had been running, told him 600 nm, he said I sould be fine....

Strange, I called my dealer today. He checked and confirmed my VIN # is subject to recall. I have purple (gray) bolts, when I asked if they could order them black he said the recall stated a specific part # for my VIN and he could not do this.

Should I seek another dealer?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you should! Mine asked which ones I wanted... I said "black" (I have dark grey) and he said "done"...:-)
Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I called my dealer and the service advisor said for me to wait till I get the recall notice in the mail. So much for customer service.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi All,

I had a similar experience to "skxf430" yesterday, except that I called Porsche first and they instructed me to call my dealer direct. Nice!

Certainly, wires are crossed within the organization, but dealers who demonstrate a lack of effort or initiative should be listed and reported back to the mothership.

I'll give mine a day to shape up after I "suggested" ways to get it right.

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:54 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Make it happen!

Hi Again,

Parts are now ordered, and I will await my call for a service appointment to complete the check/work procedure and part update.

"Squeaky" wheel gets the .....nuts!

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
I called my dealer and the service advisor said for me to wait till I get the recall notice in the mail. So much for customer service.
That's pathetic. Which dealer?

The recall is VIN-specific and it's a campaign, not a TSB, so it's negligent of the service writer to turn you away when it's a "wheels can fall off" problem.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Originally Posted by skxf430
That's pathetic. Which dealer?

The recall is VIN-specific and it's a campaign, not a TSB, so it's negligent of the service writer to turn you away when it's a "wheels can fall off" problem.
Just torque to 600 nm, u should be fine until the change
Old 06-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Wonder if I can keep my old one's as spares.......doubt there is anything worng with them....besides they are turning purple
Every part that's removed during the recall has to be returned to the factory -- either they want to keep them off the road or they want to examine for further issues (and probably send back to the OEM to complete the recall cost recovery.)

I've seen galling and excessive where on some cars, so I'm guessing there will be instances of new wheels, even new hubs. At the very least, have the wheels cleaned (they should be pretty greasy around the hub given the new "lathering" procedure for the nuts.) and inspected for any signs of fatigue (surface abrasion, discoloration.) If you don't have a rock solid tech you know and trust at the dealership, you're going to have to roll up your sleeves and get involved in this one.

I expect almost every car will have new alignment pins and bolts, new locking spline and new nuts. I don't see any problem choosing the color of the lock nut. I believe the "default" is black now, so you'd probably have to ask for the gray.

You probably won't get new dust covers and you probably won't get brake rotors, but it seems that some cars have had the rear rotors replaced, but I've not been able to discovery what's up with changing the rear rotors.

Quick Reply: The Center-Lock recall...